Quantcast

~~Happy Humpday Morning!!~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
How is everybody today?

Had a short ride last night... it was cut short by the breaking of my seat post bolt... Good thing I have my hardtail as a backup bike till I can afford a new seat post. :)

That is all for today, hope ya all have a great day.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
whats up stosh???

Morning all!!!

Stosh .. spend a $$ on a new seatpost its well worth it. One of my worst falls was due to a mid-ranged priced seatpost.

good news the sellers accepted our offer for the house .. so after i sign the agreement we are home owners!!!
Lots of stress these days .. way too much thinking yesterday. especially when i left my laywers. but its all good.
Nervous energy led me to a 1 1/2 hr street ride at 10 pm last night... I was feeling it getting up at 4 am though

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stosh said:
How is everybody today?

Had a short ride last night... it was cut short by the breaking of my seat post bolt... Good thing I have my hardtail as a backup bike till I can afford a new seat post. :)

wouldnt a new bolt be cheaper ?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello. Rode last night. See thread.

We got treated to breakfast in the office this morning: Eggs, bacon, pancakes, corn beef hash, coffee, OJ, fruit, muffins, bagels. :drool: Time to get back for seconds...

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Morning! :D

No M3 frame yet...:( I'm hoping that today is the day. No time for riding the past few days considering as soon as I get home from school it starts pouring rain.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Started classes this week, so back to the grind. Had my first developmental Psychology class last night……God I hate whiney people.

This one classmate has been sheltered by her family in that it was easier to tell her she is a precious little angel. It was fairly obvious as all of her commentary was ALL ego driven.

My this and my that, and it’s the best and yours is not kinda girl….really pissed me off. Looks like I’m going to have to bust her chops this semester.

I’m still getting over the weekend….I had such a blast at Snowshoe. It’s a shame I started late in the season this year. I swear, winter is going to absolutely kill me this year!!!! It’s so good to be back in the saddle again…..

The doctor informed me that I officially lost 26 lbs. woo hoo!!!! I still have about 30 more to go…..

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Got my stuff in the truck... going to the trailhead right from work this afternoon. My first good mtb ride in a long while. I'm really looking forward to it.

Also waiting to hear back from Jamis in the next round of negotiations... we'll see what they have to say.

oh, and mornin Stosh. And I'm in for the 10th at Stewart.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Got my stuff in the truck... going to the trailhead right from work this afternoon. My first good mtb ride in a long while. I'm really looking forward to it.

Also waiting to hear back from Jamis in the next round of negotiations... we'll see what they have to say.

oh, and mornin Stosh. And I'm in for the 10th at Stewart.
Ok sweet!!!

Can you give me the short version of what's going on with your bike?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stosh said:
yeah I thought about that.
I need the nut part as well. Where the F' would I get that from?

check your fiancee's purse?? (haha)

I had the same problem, bolt broke, lost a part, but I was at pedros fest, so I went over to the IH tent, and the just handed me a new post.....free!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
check your fiancee's purse?? (haha)

I had the same problem, bolt broke, lost a part, but I was at pedros fest, so I went over to the IH tent, and the just handed me a new post.....free!!
maybe I'll just wait till next year to go to pedro's pay $80 to get in and then go to the IH both and tell them I broke it.
Not like I ride my bike anyway.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stosh said:
Ok sweet!!!

Can you give me the short version of what's going on with your bike?
From day one I've had problems with the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts when climbing out of the saddle... it's happened 4 times in about 100 miles. Looks like the skewer might be the problem, but in the mean time, the chain stays on my $1300 bike are beat up. It rides fine, I'm just annoyed that there is what I consider to be significant damage to the paint/finish due to a part they spec'd.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Yo.

Yesterday was spent finishing "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. It's the precursor to "The DaVinci Code..........good read. Finished it in two days. Not that I'm a speed reader or anything, but the book has good flow and is easy to get into. Thought it to be better than "......Code" in terms of a twisting storyline. Lots of surprises.

Had to slide by work and reset some computer stuff around 8:00. Ran into a friend at the convienience store as I was heading home and wound up having a few beers at his place. A few more friends stopped by and before you know it, we had a little party going on. Heard my phone ring and snapped back into reality realizing that the wife was wondering if I had ran into a ditch or something......didn't think about the fact I said to her as I was heading out the door "....Be right back honey--only be a few minutes." Two hours later........ :o:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
From day one I've had problems with the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts when climbing out of the saddle... it's happened 4 times in about 100 miles. Looks like the skewer might be the problem, but in the mean time, the chain stays on my $1300 bike are beat up. It rides fine, I'm just annoyed that there is what I consider to be significant damage to the paint/finish due to a part they spec'd.
Gottcha!
And what has Jamis's response been?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
jacksonpt said:
What kind of skewer are you using? Is it the kind with the knurled bottom or is it smooth? Salsa skewers have always worked well for me cause thay have that "grippy" interface on the bottom of the cap ends that interface with the dropouts. Your paint could also be slick enough that it allowing the slip to occur.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stosh said:
maybe I'll just wait till next year to go to pedro's pay $80 to get in and then go to the IH both and tell them I broke it.
Not like I ride my bike anyway.

come up to Mount snow this w/e (no admit fee), watch some racing, and go to the IH tent there

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Greyhound said:
Yesterday was spent finishing "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. It's the precursor to "The DaVinci Code..........good read. Finished it in two days. Not that I'm a speed reader or anything, but the book has good flow and is easy to get into. Thought it to be better than "......Code" in terms of a twisting storyline. Lots of surprises.
ditto to all fo that. A&D was also better written than DC, imo. The DaVinci Code was written too much like a soap opera... build the drama/suspense, build build build... oh, cut to another scene. That crap pisses me off.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
come up to Mount snow this w/e (no admit fee), watch some racing, and go to the IH tent there
I wonder when the next race at mtn creek is.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
an appology, some reassuring that the quest is a great bike (marketing crap), and the offer of XT skewers (with internal cams).
to which you responded?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Greyhound said:
What kind of skewer are you using? Is it the kind with the knurled bottom or is it smooth? Salsa skewers have always worked well for me cause thay have that "grippy" interface on the bottom of the cap ends that interface with the dropouts. Your paint could also be slick enough that it allowing the slip to occur.
Velomax skewers - came with the wheelset. The guy at my LBS (who I trust) said and internal cam style skewer should make a big difference.

But your comment about the paint is interesting... I've thought about that before... it's almost like the surface between skewer and the dropout is greased or something. The QRs on my mountain bike dig in leaving little imprints in the paint... not the case here. Perhaps it's a steel (Jamis) versus alu (mtb) issue, I dunno.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
grrr... you're going to make me dig out the e-mails, aren't you. I thought you wanted the short version???
nope don't worry about it...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ok... my initial e-mail to Jamis

I've got an 05 Quest with just over 100 miles on it. I've had repeated problems with the rear wheel pulling out of the dropouts when climbing out of the saddle. Every time it happens I end up with a flat and the chain stays get chewed up, especially on the drive side by the cassette. I've tried a few things at the suggestion of my local bike shop with no success. There seems to be a problem with the interface between the hub/dropout/quick release skewer.

My local bike shop has suggested that I buy new skewers for the bike - they recommended Hope or Salsa. I don't feel that I should have to buy new parts to make the bike function properly. It's not like this is a Wal-Mart bike or something. There are safety issues that come into play as well when something like this happens in traffic.

What do I need to do to get this bike warantied out? At this point, I'd be hard pressed to ride a bike with the Velomax wheels again, especially with Velomax skewers. I'd be more than happy to discuss a cash replacement or a new frame and/or wheelset if that is the direction you'd like to go. I might even be willing to upgrade to the Comet or Eclipse frame if I can work out the money part of it. I just want to be able to focus on my riding, not on mechanical issues.

The Quest feels like a good bike, but it's just not reliable or safe enough for me to ride with any regularity.

I look forward to hearing from you.

their response

Hi Jackson,

I am sorry the hear about your problem. We have not had problems so far with our 05 Quest. The Velomax Vista is a great wheel set which uses a open cam-type skewer. This type of skewer is a simple and efficient design used by many manufacturers. I have been using a set of Velomax wheels with the same skewer for several years now with no problem.

Certain types of dropout might require a larger force on the cam of the skewer to get a sufficient locking strength. Riders with a more abrupt pedaling style need to have their skewers on tighter than other riders.

I can ship your shop a pair of closed cam Shimano XT skewers. These will provide a much better clamping force. Please let me know the dealer name so I can ship the parts out. The shop will have to trim the rear skewer because it has mountain bike spacing.

The Quest is a great bike that has been selling out year after year. It has received several awards including a bike of the year award from Bicycling. I am sure that with the Shimano skewers you will be able to enjoy your great bike.

Best Regards

my response to them

Thank you for the quick response.

My concern is two fold. First, I want a bike I can count on to finish a ride. Second, the bike is still basically brand new (only about 100 miles on it), yet the chain stays are all beat up from wheel pulling loose and the cassette dragging across the paint. I know it's only the finish, but it is basically a new bike, and I spent a good deal of money on it. If it were my mountain bike, I wouldn't care as much because the paint takes a beating on every ride. That's not the case with my road bike - it should look good for quite a long time as there is significantly less wear and tear on the paint. Unfortunately that's not the case here, and it's because of a component problem.

I'll take the skewers if you're sure that will fix the problem, but I'm still left with a basically new bike that looks 3 years old. I guess I'm just a little frustrated and disappointed that my baby is all beat up due to a part problem. It would be one thing if it were my fault, but...

Thanks again for the response. It's not what I was hoping for, but I guess I'm out of options.

Sincerely,
Jackson Taylor

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Morning :monkey:s

LAst night we installed the new XT shifters on Beths Cinder Cone and tuned up the drivetrain. Easy enough job. Then we put in about 3 miles of testing on the road to ensure that everything was runing properly, which it is. Then we hopped in her pool for a quick swim before settling in to watch Real World.

New lever comes in for my Juicy 7 tonight, so I'll be heading to Woodstock to get that installed properly.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sup yall. Did the shop road ride last night. Greasey Monkey was there to slap me around on the climbs. Pretty short ride but better than not riding!

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
robdamanii said:
Where's CS? I need a steerer tube length on that fork!
LOOK MAN!!! I'm a busy guy I've got stuff going on you know.

Actually, I'm a slack ass bitch. I'll do my best to get a length to you tonight, and a pic so you can see the condition of it. Perhaps, if you like it, the exchange could be made at the sept 10 ride at Stewart...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Crazy Sweeper said:
LOOK MAN!!! I'm a busy guy I've got stuff going on you know.

Actually, I'm a slack ass bitch. I'll do my best to get a length to you tonight, and a pic so you can see the condition of it. Perhaps, if you like it, the exchange could be made at the sept 10 ride at Stewart...
LOL. I knew you were slackin boy. Nah, no problem, take your time.

It could indeed possibly be done at Stewart, or sent, whatever, I'm not too picky.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Morning! Good ride last night and I packed up all my gear and bike into the van to hopefully ride again tonight!! :dancing:

Stosh - is your seatpost an EA50? If so, it might not be a bad idea to get a nicer model. I'd say Thomson, but I don't think they make a Thomson in that seatpost diameter that you'd need. I think that Speedhub Nate dude mentioned he has to run a shim to use a Thomson.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning all! Cooking up a storm today. My mother-in-law sent me home with zuccini and tomatos on Sunday and I needed to do something with them so I am making some homemade sauce and zuccini soup to freeze so I don't have to cook when I am back at school in a couple of weeks.

Other than that, I am taking a couple of chicks out to show them our trails tonight so that should be fun. I plan on getting there early so I can get a good ride in before I take them no the easier trails.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
How is everybody today?

Oh no, that's never good. How long did you end up riding for?

Had a nice, mellow night last night with Rob. We successfully installed my new XT shifters and then went for a short ride and then a quick dip in the pool.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Morning! Good ride last night and I packed up all my gear and bike into the van to hopefully ride again tonight!! :dancing:

Stosh - is your seatpost an EA50? If so, it might not be a bad idea to get a nicer model. I'd say Thomson, but I don't think they make a Thomson in that seatpost diameter that you'd need. I think that Speedhub Nate dude mentioned he has to run a shim to use a Thomson.
yeah well for now I can't afford anything else.

What's the problem with the EA50?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
jacksonpt said:
grrr... you're going to make me dig out the e-mails, aren't you. I thought you wanted the short version???
you mean they didnt just say....

<singing> I'm sorry miss jackson woooooo!!!!! :)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
No admit fee? What about the $10 (per carload) to park and the $10 to get on the lift as a spectator?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
stosh said:
yeah well for now I can't afford anything else.

What's the problem with the EA50?
Well I've heard numerous complaints about the EA50 - same problem that you had. I believe douglas had the same problem as well, but was lucky enough to have it happen at Pedros Fest so he was able to get the IH hookup.