Quantcast

~~Happy Humpday Morning!!~~

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
robdamanii said:
One room is 3/4 floored. Most of the stuff is moved in and put in place. The pool is closed for the winter. Only a few other things that need to be done really. Next project will be ripping up the carpet in the living room/dining room and replacing that with hardwood floors.

I'd also like to do some finishing in the basement, such as a drop ceiling, some paint, some walls around the structural pillars, and some carpet to make a nice room for the pool table.

you own this place? how did you afford a house and go to school?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
BOMBERZ RULEZ YER FACE!!!!! :thumb:

damn straight !

I'm thinking "Red Stripe" Jerk Pork soft taco,a BBQ chicken soft taco, Rasta fries & maybe some pints of Hefe-Weisen

:drool:

or maybe I'll try their Gravy & Chicken Burrito........but a 4 lbs Burrito before volley ball is probably a bad idea

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
damn straight !

I'm thinking "Red Stripe" Jerk Pork soft taco,a BBQ chicken soft taco, Rasta fries & maybe some pints of Hefe-Weisen

:drool:

or maybe I'll try their Gravy & Chicken Burrito........but a 4 lbs Burrito before volley ball is probably a bad idea
Huh huh huh....you said jerk pork.

Morning all! I'm at work. It sucks. That's about it I guess. Oh, and I've had waaaaay too much coffee this morning and I'm sitting here shaking. :D

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stosh said:
I thought your house was old? That framing looks pretty new.
Built in 93. Never said it was old, just a nightmare. Previous owners were....shall we say....hrm....nascar loving, gun owning, big dog breeding folks. Yeah, and apparently they just did NOT get the idea of keeping things maintained.

Any suggestions on that mess?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
robdamanii said:
Built in 93. Never said it was old, just a nightmare. Previous owners were....shall we say....hrm....nascar loving, gun owning, big dog breeding folks. Yeah, and apparently they just did NOT get the idea of keeping things maintained.

Any suggestions on that mess?
Mess??! My house was built in '44, you should see my joists!! I think the cobwebs might be the only thing holding the house up! lol

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
McGRP01 said:
Mess??! My house was built in '44, you should see my joists!! I think the cobwebs might be the only thing holding the house up! lol
I know someone who's home was built in 1877. They recently remodeled the vast majority and his wife had to live in a hotel for 2 weeks. The reason? They used horsehair and newspaper and other various crap for wall insulation and her allergies were on high alert. THAT house was a disaster. The remodelling took about 5 years total, and much of it was trying to work around the original construction issues.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
I know someone who's home was built in 1877. They recently remodeled the vast majority and his wife had to live in a hotel for 2 weeks. The reason? They used horsehair and newspaper and other various crap for wall insulation and her allergies were on high alert. THAT house was a disaster. The remodelling took about 5 years total, and much of it was trying to work around the original construction issues.
They used horse hair in the plaster not as insulation.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I would suggest boxing out the piping and just leaving the ceiling as is. Get some nice lights from Ikea and it will look fine. A nice coat of paint and maybe a home depot epoxy floor coating would be nice.

Also many building codes do not allow PVC piping due to the fact that they degrade in sunlight. I'm not super clear with the code but having a exterior window next to PVC piping is not something I'm used to seeing.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
stosh said:
I would suggest boxing out the piping and just leaving the ceiling as is. Get some nice lights from Ikea and it will look fine. A nice coat of paint and maybe a home depot epoxy floor coating would be nice.

Also many building codes do not allow PVC piping due to the fact that they degrade in sunlight. I'm not super clear with the code but having a exterior window next to PVC piping is not something I'm used to seeing.
Hrm. Could work. Epoxy floor coating? Prefer that over carpet or vinyl or something similar?

It passed all building inspection, so it may be far enough off that it's not an issue. Who knows....as long as it doesn't bust in two I'm happy.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
robdamanii said:
Mortgage per month is cheaper than paying room and board at the school, and it's an additional investment for afterwards.

ok, but where did the down payment come from? and do you even have a job? how do you pay the mortgage?

if I am being too nosey, you can tell me to STFU

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
douglas said:
ok, but where did the down payment come from? and do you even have a job? how do you pay the mortgage?

if I am being too nosey, you can tell me to STFU
Parental help. And a big bunch of loans.

Of course, my father for some bizarre reason also wants to retire up here in the middle of fricken no-where, so he had some....ulterior motives?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Laminate flooring is a good choice--unless you have any moisture issues in the basement. Glue-down hardwood will also work, but again, is prone to moisture issues if you have them. Epoxy is a good idea and is very durable.....linoleum tile is also a good choice, but can make a room feel like a hospital unless you go a little funky with the colors and design.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Hrm. Could work. Epoxy floor coating? Prefer that over carpet or vinyl or something similar?

It passed all building inspection, so it may be far enough off that it's not an issue. Who knows....as long as it doesn't bust in two I'm happy.
Yeah it's more durable than vinyl and you don't want to put carpet in a basement. You can but for your needs just go with epoxy flooring from home depot.
It comes in 5gal buckets and you'll just need to figure out your SQ footage.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey, what's up? More crappy weather in Vegas today. It figures. The goddamn rain followed us from the east coast. Well my conference ends today, so now it's fun time. :)

The Cirque de Soleil show we had tickets for last night got canceled. :(

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
stosh said:
Part of the reason I joined the Y is becuase they have Volleyball leagues, pickup basketball games, a pool, racquetball, and spin classes.
I love racquetball! We (myself and a couple of my guy friends) used to play a few times a week in college...games could get quite physical, but SO much fun :devil:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
Hey, what's up? More crappy weather in Vegas today. It figures. The goddamn rain followed us from the east coast. Well my conference ends today, so now it's fun time. :)

The Cirque de Soleil show we had tickets for last night got canceled. :(
What a disappointment...it's a REALLY cool show. I hope you get a full refund. Those tickets aren't cheap!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stosh said:
Yeah it's more durable than vinyl and you don't want to put carpet in a basement. You can but for your needs just go with epoxy flooring from home depot.
It comes in 5gal buckets and you'll just need to figure out your SQ footage.

4/5 th of my basement is carpeted

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
I love racquetball! We (myself and a couple of my guy friends) used to play a few times a week in college...games could get quite physical, but SO much fun :devil:
Yeah I guess they had some water problems last week and some of the court got messed up.

It's not open yet.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TreeSaw said:
What a disappointment...it's a REALLY cool show. I hope you get a full refund. Those tickets aren't cheap!
Yeah, major bummer about that show. My ticket was part of the conference fee, so I am just getting a credit towards next year's conference (it's at Disney World). We bought MBC a guest ticket and we're getting a full refund on that.

We're going to head to the Bellagio today and try to get tickets to the Cirque's O show tomorrow night.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Good morning monkeys! Busy morning for me after a long day yesterday. It never ends with these kids ;) Tonight I have a class to teach afterschool, then quick stop at Price Chopper for a few essentials and then it's time to hit the rollers and do a little upper body while I watch the 6pm news.

Made a big pot of chili last night and froze a bunch. My freezer is quite well-stocked these days with homemade goodies (spaghetti sauce w/hot italian sausage, split pea & ham soup, zucchini soup, chili, applesauce and grilled chicken breasts). Convenience meals for those days when I get home late or am too lazy to think of something good for dinner :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
4/5 th of my basement is carpeted
He already has problems with alegies. I'm not saying you can't... I'm just saying unless you are going to fully finish it why bother.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
stosh said:
Yeah I guess they had some water problems last week and some of the court got messed up.

It's not open yet.
Have you played before? It's SO much fun! We were so into it that we bought our own racquets and balls and would smack talk each other daily. It was AWESOME...I miss those days. Maybe I should join the local Y and get back in the game.