Quantcast

~~Happy Humpday Morning!!~~

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
stosh said:
I haven't seen you around in a while....
Vewy, vewy busy. Oil and gas prices are high so they've chained me to my desk and forced me to do about eleventeen projects at once.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SilentJ said:
Vewy, vewy busy. Oil and gas prices are high so they've chained me to my desk and forced me to do about eleventeen projects at once.
care to elaborate?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
stosh said:
care to elaborate?
I design and build surface facilities and pipelines for the big rich oil companies that everyone bitches about. They come to us with a well location(s), we do all the permits/agreements, find equipment, and build it so they can start getting paid. A gas well that produces 100 000 standard cubic feet of gas a day (which are a dime a dozen around here) will net about $2500 a day in you pocket. The biggest well I've ever tied in was ~45 000 000 cu ft of gas a day. Sick. We mostly do natural gas stuff, but about 10% of our work is oil. My average spending thoughout the year works out to about 100K - every single day.

We're just really busy right now because of the high oil and gas prices - everyone wants to get paid before year end.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning! Today has gone by fast! Got my flu shot, found out I am on track with my weight gain for pregnancy and the baby is growing and growing...which they tell me is great, but I worry about how big she's going to be ;)
I was hoping to get a night ride in tonight, but Sq-Earl stole my HID when he left this morning so aparently he's night riding and I'm hitting the rollers! :think:

Now I have to run to the band and try to eat during my limited lunch hour.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SilentJ said:
I design and build surface facilities and pipelines for the big rich oil companies that everyone bitches about. They come to us with a well location(s), we do all the permits/agreements, find equipment, and build it so they can start getting paid. A gas well that produces 100 000 standard cubic feet of gas a day (which are a dime a dozen around here) will net about $2500 a day in you pocket. The biggest well I've ever tied in was ~45 000 000 cu ft of gas a day. Sick. We mostly do natural gas stuff, but about 10% of our work is oil. My average spending thoughout the year works out to about 100K - every single day.

We're just really busy right now because of the high oil and gas prices - everyone wants to get paid before year end.
Sounds like a fun job.

Although it sounds like more engineering then I enjoy. Some of them must present interesting problems.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TreeSaw said:
Morning! Today has gone by fast! Got my flu shot, found out I am on track with my weight gain for pregnancy and the baby is growing and growing...which they tell me is great, but I worry about how big she's going to be ;)
I was hoping to get a night ride in tonight, but Sq-Earl stole my HID when he left this morning so aparently he's night riding and I'm hitting the rollers! :think:

Now I have to run to the band and try to eat during my limited lunch hour.
Tree, how far along are you?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
stosh said:
Sounds like a fun job.

Although it sounds like more engineering then I enjoy. Some of them must present interesting problems.
It sure has it's perks - I could have a $30 steak every single day of the week for lunch if I wanted to. :nope: Vendor lunches rule.

Most of the engineering we do is process stuff - all the equipment has been designed years ago - a compressor is still a compressor. The engineering gets tricky when you have to deal with H2S as it's just nasty stuff. The most painfull problems come with landowners, metis land, aboriginal land, etc...everything from road blocks to death threats have been encountered by our construction supervisors.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SilentJ said:
It sure has it's perks - I could have a $30 steak every single day of the week for lunch if I wanted to. :nope: Vendor lunches rule.

Most of the engineering we do is process stuff - all the equipment has been designed years ago - a compressor is still a compressor. The engineering gets tricky when you have to deal with H2S as it's just nasty stuff. The most painfull problems come with landowners, metis land, aboriginal land, etc...everything from road blocks to death threats have been encountered by our construction supervisors.
So basically you're not a member of the sierra club?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
stosh said:
So basically you're not a member of the sierra club?
:p

Earlier this year a construction crew of mine cleared and burned 50km x 15m (185 acres) of forest in about a week, so no. Then the MAN goes and shuts down a mountain bike trail because it borders along a wildlife corridor.:think: :mumble: damn the man.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SilentJ said:
:p

Earlier this year a construction crew of mine cleared and burned 50km x 15m (185 acres) of forest in about a week, so no. Then the MAN goes and shuts down a mountain bike trail because it borders along a wildlife corridor.:think: :mumble: damn the man.
I might even be tempted to write death threats if I lived close to thoes 185acres.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Morning all.. just trying to wake up a little.
I woke up this morning and there were lots of presents all for me on the kitchen table!!!!! Today is my birthday... yikes 33.. damn I am old... But its all good...

Yesterday i got to hit the trails for a good hour or two. the wetaher is just too damn nice not too.. with a little luck I will be riding again on friday. TThen I passed by the LBS and treated myself to a set of commuting lights... its getting so dark so early.. better to have them I figure.. other than that ... Im just gonna relax today until I have to go coach

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
stosh said:
I might even be tempted to write death threats if I lived close to thoes 185acres.
Most of the time it gets logged properly and used to make lumber, this was in the far north - it just wasn't economical for anybody to do it. Nearest surface development(barn, high grade road, house, etc..) was 63 km away. Seems a lot of people complain about the trees that get logged for pipelines, but they don't seem to mind when they crank up the heat in their house.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SilentJ said:
Most of the time it gets logged properly and used to make lumber, this was in the far north - it just wasn't economical for anybody to do it. Nearest surface development(barn, high grade road, house, etc..) was 63 km away. Seems a lot of people complain about the trees that get logged for pipelines, but they don't seem to mind when they crank up the heat in their house.
I hear ya man, double edged sword!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
bluebug32 said:
That's great. Good luck to you! It's nice being in a field where freelance is possible. I'm a writer and I've recently picked up some magazine freelancing for some extra cash. I'm of two minds about doing it fulltime however. It would be very nice to make my own schedule and have time to ride (not just when it's dark after work). But I also like having to be somewhere that gets me out of the house and the social interractions.
Thanks man, so far it's going pretty well. I hear you on the social interaction part, but isn't that what the :monkey: is for? ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Full Trucker said:
Thanks man, so far it's going pretty well. I hear you on the social interaction part, but isn't that what the :monkey: is for? ;)
BTW bluebug is a chick!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
hooples3 said:
Morning all.. just trying to wake up a little.
I woke up this morning and there were lots of presents all for me on the kitchen table!!!!! Today is my birthday... yikes 33.. damn I am old... But its all good...

Yesterday i got to hit the trails for a good hour or two. the wetaher is just too damn nice not too.. with a little luck I will be riding again on friday. TThen I passed by the LBS and treated myself to a set of commuting lights... its getting so dark so early.. better to have them I figure.. other than that ... Im just gonna relax today until I have to go coach
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TreeSaw said:
I am 27-28 weeks right now and feeling great! I just got off the rollers for 40 minutes! Now, I just need to figure out what's for dinner!
So that's like 7 months?(I never understood why the gestation period is counted in weeks:think: )

So are you able to reach the bars? I'm hoping Joy will be able to ride as for along as you have.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Snacks said:
So that's like 7 months? (I never understood why the gestation period is in weeks:think: )

So are you able to reach the bars? I'm hoping Joy will be able to ride as for along as you have.
Yeah...just about 7 months (I think 28 or 29 weeks is 7 months). I have been VERY lucky that I am still able to ride and feel great. My belly is starting to grow (I finally had to buy some maternity clothes a week or 2 ago) and I have no problem reaching the bars. Sometimes when I am riding, the baby will move into an uncomfortable position, but she generally moves again pretty quickly so it isn't too bad.

Please let me know if you have any questions...I am happy to help out.