Quantcast

~~~Happy Humpday Morning!!~~

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
bluebug32 said:
Running a yellow is illegal? :confused:
Apparently. I think it's usually reserved for the dudes that speed up when it turns yellow and the cop is right there. I got my picture taken by the automatic dealy.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
robdamanii said:
Yeah, I hear that. If you do get to do any diving, Blue Water Divers was an awesome operation. The Constellation/Montana wrecks and the Mary Celeste were probably the two premier sites we were able to dive.

But otherwise, make sure to spend some time in St. George: there's a LOT of stuff to see that's really not readily apparent on first glance. Actually, that same thing holds true on the entire island. Although I just wish they had rental cars...

I'll show him a good time. I have been before, my parents go every year. We are staying in St. George. Also, with the diving... it's much better in the Carribean... I went in St. Thomas and the reefs are more shallow/colorful. :)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
loco said:
Apparently his building and carpet aren't worth anything to you. It's his stuff. Respect it, or move. They are just bikes to people. Many hotels won't let people bring bikes in. It sounds like things are muddy, and I would tell you to keep your bike out too. Why would you not respect his things, as you wish he would respect yours??? There are methods to keeping things clean. Are you taking those???
I understand where you're coming from. I'm lucky to have a really great place to live. I guess it's not a matter of me thinking that he's an idiot for not wanting mud tracked into his house, it's more of me feeling uncomfortable leaving an expensive and personally valuable bike outside. I'll just find something to lock it to, take some pictures of everything for insurance purposes and hope for the best. How's renter's insurance for stuff like that?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
bluebug32 said:
This really bugs me. I think it's more the fact that he doesn't understand how much the bike is worth and that it's not exactly something that can be replaced. Grrr...
Maybe you can both agree on something... I just purchased an awesome indoor/outdoor grey mat for when i walk into my house <mudroom> it its great for muddy bikes/feet and is washable with a hose.. tell him you will try and be more clean.. and then try a little. wipe the bike down with a rag, clean up the mud by the door etc..

J

JRB

bluebug32 said:
I understand where you're coming from. I'm lucky to have a really great place to live. I guess it's not a matter of me thinking that he's an idiot for not wanting mud tracked into his house, it's more of me feeling uncomfortable leaving an expensive and personally valuable bike outside. I'll just find something to lock it to, take some pictures of everything for insurance purposes and hope for the best. How's renter's insurance for stuff like that?
Probably not too good. I would try to find a way to take extra care to not get anything in the place wet or muddy. Plastic or something to cover the floor and the bike. I can't ride here when it's muddy, so that's not an issue for me, but I would take extra care to clean the bike. If you can wash it and then lock it up to dry, that may be an option. Then bring it in the place. Explain what you have and your concerns. Maybe you two can come to common ground.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
loco said:
Probably not too good. I would try to find a way to take extra care to not get anything in the place wet or muddy. Plastic or something to cover the floor and the bike. I can't ride here when it's muddy, so that's not an issue for me, but I would take extra care to clean the bike. If you can wash it and then lock it up to dry, that may be an option. Then bring it in the place. Explain what you have and your concerns. Maybe you two can come to common ground.
True. I don't have a hose, so usually it's a matter of brushing the mud off and then wiping it down with some damp rags. The tires are the only things that remain really muddy, so that's the main issue. I guess it's probably ok locked up (I live in the country) and in his shed. I just like to see it and know it's all good etc. :)

What do other apartment dwellers do with your bikes?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
bluebug32 said:
True. I don't have a hose, so usually it's a matter of brushing the mud off and then wiping it down with some damp rags. The tires are the only things that remain really muddy, so that's the main issue. I guess it's probably ok locked up (I live in the country) and in his shed. I just like to see it and know it's all good etc. :)

for the tires either bounce the bike a little or spin the tire and hit it with a stick to get most of the mud off

when i lived in an apartment. i brought all of my bikes into the aprtment.. i asked to keep them in the basement which wasnt being used and was told no.. there was no yard or shed i could have use.. not that i would leave them in ther<i live in brooklyn>. so after a muddy ride id bring some damp towels out and wipe down the mud, bouce the bike on its tires and that was it..
it also helps to drive hoome from the trail really fast.. the wet mud becomes hard

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
hooples3 said:
for the tires either bounce the bike a little or spin the tire and hit it with a stick to get most of the mud off
We've been riding through some crazy mud lately. It's hard because I don't have a hose at my place.

Didn't you used to live in an apartment?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
bluebug32 said:
We've been riding through some crazy mud lately. It's hard because I don't have a hose at my place.

Didn't you used to live in an apartment?
did you read the edited part????:rolleyes:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I live in an apartment, well subdivided house technically. I never even mentioned it to my landlord I just put my bike in the basement in the back portion of it. Then again its college housing and I don't think he could really care less about the basement stairs getting a little muddy.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
hooples3 said:

when i lived in an apartment. i brought all of my bikes into the aprtment.. i asked to keep them in the basement which wasnt being used and was told no.. there was no yard or shed i could have use.. not that i would leave them in ther<i live in brooklyn>. so after a muddy ride id bring some damp towels out and wipe down the mud, bouce the bike on its tires and that was it..
it also helps to drive hoome from the trail really fast.. the wet mud becomes hard
Ha.... back in my Brooklyn apartment days, I'd just bring the bikes into the apartment (3rd floor walkup) after knoicking off as much dirt as possible outside. The building was from the 20's & we had these huge tubs. I'd take off the front wheel & be able to put the whole bike in the tub & then shower it down. Let it dry in there or wipe down with towels & it was good to go.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Mackie said:
Ha.... back in my Brooklyn apartment days, I'd just bring the bikes into the apartment (3rd floor walkup) after knoicking off as much dirt as possible outside. The building was from the 20's & we had these huge tubs. I'd take off the front wheel & be able to put the whole bike in the tub & then shower it down. Let it dry in there or wipe down with towels & it was good to go.
i was just thinking of my wife's reaction if i attempted to do that!! it would not be good!!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey monkeys - interesting night last night...got home from spin class, started dinner while my wife was w/ the kids at a b-day party which was rescheduled due to sunday's storm. apparently miles ate too much pizza and/or drank too much water and threw up @ the party. he was just coming over a stomach bug from last week (puked in our bed, and his bed, ugh), but it didn't seem like a continuation of that.

anyway, about an hr after otis went to bed, he makes some noise. i go into his room to see what's up, and he pukes in his bed. i rush to get him into the bathroom but before we can get to the toilet he throws up again, on my feet. he puked a couple more times before it ended.

needless to say, the washing machine's been pretty busy the last few days. :dead:

stosh, a new car sounds fun and all. however, i will attempt to the voice of reason (or partypooper). after the deductible and payout for the depreciated car's worth, no matter how you look at it, an '06 (or even '05) vehicle is a net payout relative to your situation prior to the crash. since you seem to be saving for a house, i'd recommend keeping the status quo and getting a used car or SUV or truck, banking some of the insurance $ if possible.

just my two cents.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Mackie said:

Haha...I haven't heard that idea before!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
I can't ride here when it's muddy, so that's not an issue for me, but I would take extra care to clean the bike.
or won't? are there laws in TexASS against riding on trails when they aren't dry and dusty?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
antimony said:
I'll show him a good time. I have been before, my parents go every year. We are staying in St. George. Also, with the diving... it's much better in the Carribean... I went in St. Thomas and the reefs are more shallow/colorful. :)
Got a major point that the reefs are more colourful. But you can't really beat the wrecks (of course I'm a wreck lover). They make great photo opportunities. I was impressed with that, not much so with the reefs. Although the reef system around the Mary Celeste has some very cool little crevices and caves to swim around in.

Awesome place, have a great time with it. :thumb:

Edit:
As a sidenote, if you guys love to dive and such, check out Roatan, Honduras or Bonaire, Dutch West Indies. Both have unbelieveable marine life and great atmospheres (Roatan is a little more desolate than Bonaire though, and Bonaire has the famed pier dives). I'd have to say Bonaire was the best diving I've done for pure abundance of life and quality of macrolife. Hawaii was definitely tops for large animals (spinner dolphins on our dives at Lanai and shars at Molokini). Roatan was good all around but didn't really shine in any specific area (Mary's Place was a standout fantastic dive if you can take the 8 foot seas)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
loco said:
Apparently his building and carpet aren't worth anything to you. It's his stuff. Respect it, or move. They are just bikes to people. Many hotels won't let people bring bikes in. It sounds like things are muddy, and I would tell you to keep your bike out too. Why would you not respect his things, as you wish he would respect yours??? There are methods to keeping things clean. Are you taking those???
The amount of mud on the bikes when the come inside is very minimal. The VAST majority of it is knocked off outside, and gives the appearance of there having been gobs of mud going inside. I understand where the guy';s coming from, but honestly, if he looked at the amount of mud on his floor (no carpeting in the apt), he'd find there really is very minimal amounts of it....mostly about the amount that comes in on normal street shoes when it's soggy outside.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
hooples3 said:
i was just thinking of my wife's reaction if i attempted to do that!! it would not be good!!!!
Yes, this practice ended shortly after my then-girlfriend (now wife) moved in..... :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>
We zipped straight to dinner the minute I got home last night to try and beat the crowd. Ended up with an hour wait (which wasn't bad since we just had a couple drinks), but by the time we go seated, the wait was up to 3 hours! :dead:
Jeezus! Where did you guys go?

J

JRB

brungeman said:
or won't? are there laws in TexASS against riding on trails when they aren't dry and dusty?
No - there are a few trails that are rideable, but the clay in the black dirt ensures a locked up wheel, or something in short order. It's not worth the damage you can do to your bike.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
bluebug32 said:
I own the appt. but what I do so Bek doesn't get too pissed... I get a bucket of warm soapy water and I bought a brush at H-Depot with a longer handle to reach into some of the hard to get to places. I scrub the thing down the brush works well for the whole thing including the tires!!!... and if I really feal motivated I rinse it with another bucket of clean water...

I wouldn't use a hose at all but if you do, dont do it too often and be careful because the high pressure of it could blow by the seals and get into the bearings in your wheels, BB, HS, and Pivots...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SS, all the restaurants are packed for VDay. i drove to the local wine shop to get some bottles for my wife's book club tonight (2 pinot noirs, 2 merlots, 2 sav blancs and a chard - all for $68! might have some decent candidates for the 'inexpensive red wine thread) and went past an italian place which is usually pretty quiet. last night the lot was jammed.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
Frickin' Olive Garden. Who the hell waits 3 hours for a table at Olive Garden?!
Who the hell waits at Olive Garden???

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
SS, all the restaurants are packed for VDay. i drove to the local wine shop to get some bottles for my wife's book club tonight (2 pinot noirs, 2 merlots, 2 sav blancs and a chard - all for $68! might have some decent candidates for the 'inexpensive red wine thread) and went past an italian place which is usually pretty quiet. last night the lot was jammed.
We're going out for dinner tonight. No problems getting reservations. I'm pretty convinced that V-Day is the worst day of the year to go out to eat. Restaurants *know* they're going to be packed regardless of the quality of the food they dish out that night.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Better question: Who the hell *goes* to Olive Garden? :dead: ;)
Olive Garden rocks. If you want Authentic Italian Cuisine you're in the wrong place but, IMO, it's pretty decent food for not much money. Even if it is only pseudo-Italian.

And as Rob said, $6 unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks at lunch is tough to beat :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
robdamanii said:
Depends on the taste. Their salad dressing gets to me after a serving or so, but their soup is quite tasty. Of course, just about any soup is tasty to me.
Almost every soup I've ever had in my entire life has been over salted. Unless it's homemade by myself or my wife. :D