Quantcast

~~Happy Humpday Morning!!~~

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
GumbaFish said:
Good morning all. I can't wait untill tommorow or friday when I will get my seatpost shim in so I can ride again. I guess its better anyways, I need to be studying and not riding right now.
What exactly does a shim do for you? I assume it "mates" a bigger seat tube to a smaller seat post, but why wouldn't you run a larger post in the first place? Am I missing something?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
What exactly does a shim do for you? I assume it "mates" a bigger seat tube to a smaller seat post, but why wouldn't you run a larger post in the first place? Am I missing something?
a shim just eliminates the annular space between a smaller diameter seatpost and larger diameter seattube. if the post you want to use doesn't come in the correct size, a shim is an easy way to make it work.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
jacksonpt said:
For the Giant AC it has a 30.8 seatpost tube but runs a 27.2 seatpost. The seat tube is s curved and there is a hole in it that allows the seatpost to be lowered past the point of the curve. The hole in the curve is a smaller diameter than the top of the seatpost tube. If I ran a 30.8 seatpost I wouldn't be able to lower my seat all the way when I want to mess around and hit jumps etc...A lbs told me here they made the shims just to save money or some nonsense and tried to sell me a 30.8 seatpost, I didn't buy it. Luckily I have a larger diameter seatpost at home and tried to see what happened and then realized why they spec'd it with a shim. Lesson learned, only trust TrailBlazers.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
jacksonpt said:
Just out of curiosity... have you tried any steel bikes?

I looked at the Alez bikes and a couple of Cannondales and couldn't get over how harsh the felt. I ended up with a steel Jamis that I love. Granted, feel is sooooo personal...
I agree. They do have a nice feel and Jamis makes a nice bike.

I tried the women's specific trek's and specialized. I liked the smooth feel of the specialized (I forget exactly what it is, but they have shock absorbsion built into the frame) and the trek fit me really well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
GumbaFish said:
The seat tube is s curved and there is a hole in it that allows the seatpost to be lowered past the point of the curve. The hole in the curve is a smaller diameter than the top of the seatpost tube. If I ran a 30.8 seatpost I wouldn't be able to lower my seat all the way when I want to mess around and hit jumps etc
Gotcha... now it makes sense.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Heidi said:
Morning peeps.

Went for a nice long mountain bike ride last night. I made an attempt on the helicopter pad but snow made me turn back. I'm surprized how fast the trails are drying out. I wish it would rain, stuff lower down is already getting dusty. I am back to railing downhill sections and trying not to use my brakes at all and instead use my bike and body to control. My first "DH" race is SUnday!

Good luck on the race! Just concentrate on having a good time. Got my 1st DH race of the season this Sunday as well, and it looks like it's gona be a wet one...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
jacksonpt said:
Just out of curiosity... have you tried any steel bikes?

I looked at the Alez bikes and a couple of Cannondales and couldn't get over how harsh the felt. I ended up with a steel Jamis that I love. Granted, feel is sooooo personal...
I haven't tried steel yet. I really liked the feel of the Allez bike (aluminum frame with carbon fork) that I tried out. I didn't like the Dolce as well...felt too small in the cockpit area. I plan on trying out a few more before I buy one.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Jim Mac said:
Good luck on the race! Just concentrate on having a good time. Got my 1st DH race of the season this Sunday as well, and it looks like it's gona be a wet one...
Mine might be wet as well. Oh yah, I always have a good time when I race. This will be just so weird not lining up at a start line with a bunch of other people.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
"This will be just so weird not lining up at a start line with a bunch of other people.[/QUOTE]"

Yeah, now you will be hanging with just a bunch of smelly people in body armor.. "Dood. did you hit the jump at the top yet" :)

BTW, remember to lower your seat a bit for the race, old habits die hard :cool:

Good luck Sunday, I will be racing in lovely Fontana :mumble:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
hucked2bend said:
"This will be just so weird not lining up at a start line with a bunch of other people.
"

Yeah, now you will be hanging with just a bunch of smelly people in body armor.. "Dood. did you hit the jump at the top yet" :)

BTW, remember to lower your seat a bit for the race, old habits die hard :cool:

Good luck Sunday, I will be racing in lovely Fontana :mumble:[/QUOTE]

I have the Gravity Dropper! I saw your truck out at Phil's last night - what did you guys ride? We did a big Kent's, Phil's, Voodoo, Grand Slam loop. Did COD on Saturday and it was perfect!

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
I have the Gravity Dropper! I saw your truck out at Phil's last night - what did you guys ride? We did a big Kent's, Phil's, Voodoo, Grand Slam loop. Did COD on Saturday and it was perfect![/QUOTE]

We rode Kents as well, uhh, actually the same loop as you!

Yep, trails are perfect right now, hopefully SoCal will be nice as well, as I will be there until next Friday (LT gets home on Monday & is supposed to be calling or e-mailing you for a favor..... meoww:help:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i picked up my m1 tonight so i am quite happy. just need to finish dialing it in before i ride on friday, but its pretty sweet right now.