Quantcast

~~Happy Humpday Morning!!~~

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:
Morning! Almost had a good ride with Stosh and DW last night. Got all the way there to realize that my rear brake pads are shot. Had to turn around and drive 30 min. home, so it's off to the LBS at lunch today. :mumble:

On top of that, I forgot my coffee....
should have swapped fronts for rears, you can get by w/just rear brakes - especially being you would be riding slow (you did say Stosh was there, right? :D)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Morning! Almost had a good ride with Stosh and DW last night. Got all the way there to realize that my rear brake pads are shot. Had to turn around and drive 30 min. home, so it's off to the LBS at lunch today. :mumble:

On top of that, I forgot my coffee....
Another point you may want to have looked at, your pads didn't seem to be worn evenly.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Morning all. I plan THIS WED to bug out of work and hit Jiminy Peak to get in some crucial sprints! (This is what messed up my race runs Sunday - slacking when I should be hammering...). Last Wed was bearing/bushing/pivot replacing disaster day...can't wait for 3:00 pm...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MMcG said:
Morning!

Had a good day with my kids yesterday. Packed up the Surly frame and wheels and they'll get shipped to Michigan today.

Visited my LBS to see if I could get a few missing parts for my Niner frame, but their prices are ridiculous, and they weren't very nice to me yesterday. So I won't be ordering any of those parts from them. I've given them plenty of business over the last 3-4 years, but i think it is time to move on.

Time to find a new and improved LBS to support methinks.
:( What parts do you need? I also owe you a PM of parts for your sons bike...I will get on that this morning!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
bluebug32 said:
Got all the way there to realize that my rear brake pads are shot. Had to turn around and drive 30 min. home, so it's off to the LBS at lunch today. :mumble:
I don't think I've changed brake pads in two years. Still going strong.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning all. Had a nice birthday yesterday. Managed to do too much work and was tired out by 10pm (I must be getting old) but my family was still chatty and I didn't get to bed until late. Then, Syd decided to wake up at 4am and wanted to play :eek: I am a zombie running on coffee right now and anxiously awaiting her nap so I can try to catch some ZZZzzzz's. No riding for me tonight as both of the babysitters have to work :( I am going to go for a run in stead. Yes, I said run, and you should all be frightened for me.

That is all.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
i hope they do mail order...that's a huge distance for a 'local' bike shop...
Yes, they do. For little stuff it's not a big deal. For bigger stuff or for things that I'm not 100% sure about, I make a trip to the shop. I usually try to wait until I have a few things that need attention though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
douglas said:
should have swapped fronts for rears, you can get by w/just rear brakes - especially being you would be riding slow (you did say Stosh was there, right? :D)
given a choice, i'd much rather have front brakes than rear brakes.

i did almost a whole day's DHing @ mt snow (in fairly wet conditions) w/ just a front brake; the michie comp 32 really proved itself that day.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Another point you may want to have looked at, your pads didn't seem to be worn evenly.
Right. I know the shop near me has the parts, but they might not be able to put them in for me. I've cleaned them and put them back in myself in the past, but I want to make sure nothing is screwed up and they're sitting evenly. Maybe I'll call around and see if someone else can spare the 3 minutes I'm asking for. Kinda bugs me when a shop won't give you 5 minutes for a quick once over.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
TreeSaw said:
I was thinking about that the other day when I was riding a particularly fast downhill section of trail.
Always a good time to wonder if your brakes are any good! ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
narlus said:
given a choice, i'd much rather have front brakes than rear brakes.

i did almost a whole day's DHing @ mt snow (in fairly wet conditions) w/ just a front brake; the michie comp 32 really proved itself that day.

really :confused: I definitely wouldnt DH w/just the front

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Good morning,

A bit late getting here this morning. Looking forward to the WNR tonight, we are doing our old regular 22 mile desert loop which we haven't done in some time. It will be good to get back out there.

Not much else happening, co-worker called in sick so flying solo on the help desk today.

Looking forward to the weekend, although most of it will probably be spent starting to clean the house for a big party Labor Day weekend- anybody going to be in the neighborhood?

Have a good day.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
douglas said:
really :confused: I definitely wouldnt DH w/just the front
well keep in mind that the trails @ mt snow (non-NCS course, which is illegal to ride) aren't steep at all. but, you get loads more braking from yr front as compared to rear (i've heard 70/30 ratios kicked around, sounds about right), so if you need to scrub speed, the front will work a lot better.

just don't grab it hard on steeps or turns. ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
narlus said:
well keep in mind that the trails @ mt snow (non-NCS course, which is illegal to ride) aren't steep at all. but, you get loads more braking from yr front as compared to rear (i've heard 70/30 ratios kicked around, sounds about right), so if you need to scrub speed, the front will work a lot better.

just don't grab it hard on steeps or turns. ;)

I had my rear brake hose rupture at Plattekill, getting down that mtn w/just the front sucked...even more sucky was it was a couple hours before my race and I had no extra brake parts or a cluehow to fix it anyway

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Morning all. Just got back from an extended weekend at the Hamptons.. I did bring my bike but it didnt get ridden much. Tommorow is back to work but no complaints since its thursday already!!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday Treesaw!!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
hooples3 said:
Morning all. Just got back from an extended weekend at the Hamptons.. I did bring my bike but it didnt get ridden much. Tommorow is back to work but no complaints since its thursday already!!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday Treesaw!!
I've got a magazine for you (your pic. looks sharp). Can you PM me your address again?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
bluebug32 said:
Are there any easier trails at Plattekill? Something that could be done with a 4" trail bike?
Yeah, there are all kinds of XC trails there too. There are even some off the top, so you could take the lift up and not have to pedal uphill all day. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bluebug32 said:
Are there any easier trails at Plattekill? Something that could be done with a 4" trail bike?
the only time i've ever been there i rode w/ a 4" xc fs rig, and my buddy was on a fully rigid zaskar w/ steel fork. that was years ago ('98?), and we're both smarter now.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
Dudette, we'll ride diablo together!

You name the date!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
the only time i've ever been there i rode w/ a 4" xc fs rig, and my buddy was on a fully rigid zaskar w/ steel fork. that was years ago ('98?), and we're both smarter now.
I rode my Iron Horse Hollowpoint there 3 or 4 years ago. It lasted..... barely, I was following Douglas most of the time.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
bluebug32 said:

there's a 8 mile XC course up top, or if you want all DH, then theres several fires roads and a bunch of easier trails that shouldnt be a problem.
If you find someone that knows the trails (their map sucks & they have hundreds of trails) you'll have a great time.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Afternoon.

2 more dives in the logbooks. Maybe tonight I'll resize some of the photos and post up what I've been doing for a week now.

Nothing much happening today. We're off to visit Hell after a shower. Should be amusing.

Cheers mates!