Quantcast

***Happy Humpday***

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Do you ski or board?
If you ski & are a decent skier you could coach her a bit when out with her. I could send you some really technical documents on ski improvement & drills if you like.

Finding a balance of fun with dad & being coached by dad may be tough but who knows.
I board. I don't have the ability to teach her beyond what she already knows. I've been re-learning myself this season, but please send me them.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do you ski or board?
If you ski & are a decent skier you could coach her a bit when out with her. I could send you some really technical documents on ski improvement & drills if you like.

Finding a balance of fun with dad & being coached by dad may be tough but who knows.
Yeah - I'd STRONGLY recommend @stoney not do this. He is a former boarder IIRC and a n00B skier.

She should ski with dudes like @Nick more. :D

Actually - she should probably just ski with you, @TN! You're the expert. :thumb:

Oh - and don't bother sending me any of that shit, because:

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Do you ski or board?

I'd appreciate some of those documents... My oldest son is really taking a liking to skiing, and is progressing really quickly. I signed him up for a 1-hour private lesson over Christmas, and it got him from wedge to parallell. The main drill the teacher told me to work on with him was side-slipping down the slope and doing hockey stops. I guess it helps with finding your edges. I worked on that with him, and was able to convince him using both your edges gives you more control, so you can go faster.

He is now linking parallell turns in almost all conditions (e.g. moguls, trees on steep terrain). I think (not sure), the next step is lead-changes and fore-aft distribution. There's tons of videos on-line, but they're either really specific (one very specific drill for a certain level or skier), or really general (which I get, people make a living off teaching skiing, so why would they give it away for free..). That said, I'm curious to find a system that take things step by step...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I'd appreciate some of those documents... My oldest son is really taking a liking to skiing, and is progressing really quickly. I signed him up for a 1-hour private lesson over Christmas, and it got him from wedge to parallell. The main drill the teacher told me to work on with him was side-slipping down the slope and doing hockey stops. I guess it helps with finding your edges. I worked on that with him, and was able to convince him using both your edges gives you more control, so you can go faster.

He is now linking parallell turns in almost all conditions (e.g. moguls, trees on steep terrain). I think (not sure), the next step is lead-changes and fore-aft distribution. There's tons of videos on-line, but they're either really specific (one very specific drill for a certain level or skier), or really general (which I get, people make a living off teaching skiing, so why would they give it away for free..). That said, I'm curious to find a system that take things step by step...
I believe in open source knowledge.
What other sports does he play?

If he doesnt have the habit of skiing in the back seat this is a good drill that may help him.

PDF is attached.

Attachments

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I believe in open source knowledge.
What other sports does he play?

If he doesnt have the habit of skiing in the back seat this is a good drill that may help him.

PDF is attached.
Thanks! that's really helpful. He cross country skis, mountain bikes a bit, and has hit the indoor bmx park once since it opened, but had a good time. XC skiing is good to work on balance on skis...

[edited to add: must spread rep. Can someone get @TN for me please? that document, with all the linked video examples, should help out quite a bit]
OMG. That's awful. :D
It may be awful, but out here on the ice coast, being a good technical skier maximises chance of fun, and minimizes chances of injury.
I prefer the method of just leading them into the belly of the beast. :D

https://photos.app.goo.gl/toqzv8Euu5n5uxUK8
So that's how you link to videos! I'll give it a try... Here's my boy on last week's snow day. He is still step turning in difficult terrain, but I think that's normal.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVXor2cmvMGXqPSs7

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just estimated that I have done 1,012 miles on the rollers so far since Christmas. My butt is actually not sore, and won't be after the first desert days in March/April.
46 days so far, with another 25 or so before spring break. Have lost a bunch of weight as well.
Good feeling.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yeah - I'd STRONGLY recommend @stoney not do this. He is a former boarder IIRC and a n00B skier.

She should ski with dudes like @Nick more. :D

Actually - she should probably just ski with you, @TN! You're the expert. :thumb:
I've skied with her when she was just learning. I'd like to think it was helpful, and I'm pretty sure it was fun. Just fundamentals; fall line, how edges work, how to turn, and quite a bit of me skiing switch slowly and letting her fall back and catch up, to get used to having some speed without getting too scared. Now she "gets it" and is progressing really quickly.