Quantcast

~~~~Happy Humpday~~~~

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dang, is it only Wednesday? Longest week evar...... closing on our house tomorrow so that a plus.....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Old machine in the plant running some even old machinery has decided that it is time to ask for Windows XP activation. What the balls. When will these people learn that relying on old stuff just doesn't work.

Shit gone break yo.

But first I think I need to poop.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Old machine in the plant running some even old machinery has decided that it is time to ask for Windows XP activation. What the balls. When will these people learn that relying on old stuff just doesn't work.
these kinds of situations i've encountered where there's an old piece of hardware (test equipment, etc) where the operating integration software was only deployed for these older platforms. often times this is because whatever company i'm working for is just too cheap to upgrade to the new version.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Today and tomorrow are going to suck. We are under a high heat warning. 104 today 105 tomorrow. Going to load my work ice chest with Gatorade. At least unlike yesterday I don't have 400-500 pound humans in wheelchairs to push around.

On the bright side, I am enjoying an excellent cup of coffee right now

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
FTS.

Shit gone break yo.

But first I think I need to poop.
these kinds of situations i've encountered where there's an old piece of hardware (test equipment, etc) where the operating integration software was only deployed for these older platforms. often times this is because whatever company i'm working for is just too cheap to upgrade to the new version.
Sounds like the (North) American way. Run shit (capital equipment) til it fails and then call the vendor, whose advice to replace the equipment you've been totally ignoring for the past 5 years, in a total panic. "I know the lead time is 14 weeks, but can you deliver tomorrow? And our purchasing department is gonna need at least a 20% discount...oh, and we now pay Net 120. This machine is critical to our production, so, don't screw it up...this is somehow your fault already..."

Yeah. Good morning. You hit a nerve...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
FTS.

Sounds like the (North) American way. Run shit (capital equipment) til it fails and then call the vendor, whose advice to replace the equipment you've been totally ignoring for the past 5 years, in a total panic. "I know the lead time is 14 weeks, but can you deliver tomorrow? And our purchasing department is gonna need at least a 20% discount...oh, and we now pay Net 120. This machine is critical to our production, so, don't screw it up...this is somehow your fault already..."

How did you know? :busted:

Yeah its scary... You know, you recommend upgrading/changing something for years but they push it off because its xx dollars. Then shit hits the fan and now its xxxxx dollars. Welp, told ya so.......

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
lol - my last job we had a critical production server that was running SCO Unix (basically went Tango Uniform in 2001) on PC hardware that was probably a decade old at the time. Nobody knew *anything* about it... they tried to dump the ops support on our team and I told my boss to FTS.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Got up at 3:00 this morning to wake a whiz and stepped in cat poop on the way there. Fortunately my ninja reflexes kicked in and I stopped myself before putting any real foot pressure on said poop. The poop had been there a while, as it was cold and firm. I can't get upset though...my cats are old so I cut them some slack.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
FTS.

or using lab grade equipment for commercial production.....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
paging @stoney

Gold is on the rise again. Yesterday it looked like it might be going back down. Have to order metal for rings...TODAY.

:panic:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
paging @stoney

Something, something, a year-ish ago..

I'm not going to look it up, but I mentioned the inverting of the yield curve 6 months ago and the risk that comes with it, also what it indicates. 3&5 year just inverted.
Two important pieces of info that people don't seem to realize:
1. In one year, the market is flat. Their YTD is great, because of the 15% drop in 4Q18.
Capture.JPG

2. Since the beginning of 2018 - 20 months - the market is only up 4%.
Capture1.JPG

Unless you are trading, which most people aren't, you aren't making shit under Trump. The total RoR under Trump has been about 50% with the S&P500, it was ~40% under Obama. That does factor the time bomb he was handed, starting on day 1 of Obama's presidency, which was already well on it's way down. The normal market cycle is 6-8 years; we are currently at 12 and in the longest in modern US history. Trump might just catch both ends or part of a cycle - up and down. right now he's only caught up and that's largely been supported by the first year which was highly supported by stock buy-backs. Buy-back means less shares for the same company value = stock px goes up.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Somebody just offered to buy the M. Apparently he's been driving by my old house to see if the car was still there to offer me money. A buddy found his WTB on craigslist, so I reached out with my info and he summed it up. Very tempted to make my life easy and just walk from it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Somebody just offered to buy the M. Apparently he's been driving by my old house to see if the car was still there to offer me money. A buddy found his WTB on craigslist, so I reached out with my info and he summed it up. Very tempted to make my life easy and just walk from it.
Run while you still can!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
1565804478515.png