Quantcast

@)(*&!@)(&* Happy Monday you dorks )@(*!@)(*!@

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i've already told my wife i have, at best, 10-15 more years of tolerance for corporate america.
Wifey is mind boggled when I say that I'm planning around us being done working in ~15 years - max. She just can't rationalize being done for good at 57-ish. The mom worked until 70, her had 71, my parents into early 60's. I just don't have that kind of tolerance. I like what I do, I just hate doing it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
only debt my wife and i have is our mortgage.
We kinda cheat and use 0% stuff. I could buy a lot of stuff outright, but why when I can keep it invested and use someone else's money for free?

If we ever got to the point that we HAVE to use debt and pay for it, we'll probably do a proper loan from MIL. If mkt rate is 4%, we'll just pay her, since it's so hard to get that from the investment side, and we're just paying the trust.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Two things hit me this morning:

1. I hate moving. So much stuff, I wish it was practical to get rid of it all and start over.

2. I can't believe I have to work another 30+ years. I feel like I gave it my best and am already done. :banghead:
1651508845316.png

This is why I give as little as possible. Might need that shit later!

only debt my wife and i have is our mortgage.
:stupid: And for us... NOT FOR LONG.

<snip> I like what I do, I just hate doing it.
You know... this is a great quote.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wifey is mind boggled when I say that I'm planning around us being done working in ~15 years - max. She just can't rationalize being done for good at 57-ish. The mom worked until 70, her had 71, my parents into early 60's. I just don't have that kind of tolerance. I like what I do, I just hate doing it.
i was actually having a conversation over the weekend about how i'm already getting to the point i'm starting to prefer paying someone else to do certain projects instead of doing them myself. yes it'll cost more, but i'd rather have the leisure time.

edit: example - we tacked on having our master closet redone as well as a bunch of extra painting onto the bathroom remodel. sure, we *could* have done it, but we already had the contractors out doing work, so w/e.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm on a 10-year wind down plan to stop working full time, unless I'm super stoked on whatever I'm doing then.
Also only carrying mortgage debt right now.

Haven't we ever had a monkey finance thread? it seems like we should have one of those.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
i was actually having a conversation over the weekend about how i'm already getting to the point i'm starting to prefer paying someone else to do certain projects instead of doing them myself. yes it'll cost more, but i'd rather have the leisure time.
Aren't you kinda old to be realizing this now? :think: :D

yea but aren't you almost 50? i'm still south of 40.
Almost? Nick's like 64 or some shit... :homer:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001

edit: example - we tacked on having our master closet redone as well as a bunch of extra painting onto the bathroom remodel. sure, we *could* have done it, but we already had the contractors out doing work, so w/e.
Some day @stoney will come to this realization. But until then he will play carpenter and contractor.

/me honestly probably shouldn't mow the lawns at my marginal rate

:D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Anyway, I feel my current work/life balance is ok. I can do this for a while.

I still would like to get an on-mountain condo at Mary Jane when they build those things. That's my main medium term goal these days.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i'm not about to ///Drywall my ///Kitchen like some people
There's a difference between expensive but easy and cheap but time consuming. We're at that point where our time costs more than the cost of paying someone to do the project.

I'm not going to repair the ///deck stairs or xeriscape the yard. Electrical work? I have a few things that need to be done, but those will be farmed out. The drywall in the girl's basement playroom? Same thing. I doubt I'm doing the backsplash, but the drywall needed to be demoed and installed before the counters can go in. I'll probably finish up the baseboards then we'll have someone paint them and some other stuff.

But I'm largely done with stuff.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I'm on a 10-year wind down plan to stop working full time, unless I'm super stoked on whatever I'm doing then.
Also only carrying mortgage debt right now.

Haven't we ever had a monkey finance thread? it seems like we should have one of those.
I am 4 years into my 10 year plan. Will still be working in 6 years just not for anyone but myself. Using larger income from current job to fund tools needed for self employment. Seems to be working so far.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am on my last 4 years...been working since I was 12 calling it quits at 69
I still don't understand why you're still working. Just retire. Or at least go to 67 for FRA if you don't want to have an income impact from retirement until pulling Social Security. 65 is most people's magic number because of Medicare.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
Sounds like someone is gonna have lots of time to ride bikes soon! :D

Work is looking for someone to fill a 6 month temporary assignment in Helena MT. Anyone familiar with the area?
6 months? No-brainer. Montana is really nice.

I am on my last 4 years...been working since I was 12 calling it quits at 69
There's about 50 years of your life you'll never get back.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Quoted for posterity / hilarity /poo flinging...

Work is looking for someone to fill a 6 month temporary assignment in Helena MT. Anyone familiar with the area?
I LOVE Helena.

More economic diversity than BZN [read: the poors can still afford to live there]

And it has the best 'in town' biking / longest biking season.

I gather you're misanthropic but it has most of the good things a town needs: hot springs, decent restaurants, brew pubs, art, music...

And it's centrally located to most of the 'goods' in Western MT re: hiking / biking.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
G'afternoon, fine people of both sides.

Pulled the cracked crabon wheel off the bike yesterday and swapped the original wheel back on there. On post-mortem inspection I found not only the crack from the other day, but another more bigger crack that I can only surmise happened in Moab on Rockstacker. Pretty sure @6thElement witnessed that one happening live... the sound that rear wheel made he was certain I turned the rim into a square. I didn't find anything during a quick trailside inspection, but the bead is definitely smashed. Just happy I was able to ride out that day.

Yeah, gonna get the warranty going for this rim and then definitely sell the wheelset after I build it back up. These things would probably work for someone... but not me.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My wife had some tom yum at a Thai joint in Basalt over Spring Break, so recently I made the trek down to the Asian grocery downtown to get galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, birds eye chiles, mushrooms, and head-on shrimp to make some at home. Bit of a PITA, but damn is tom yum delicious.

And apropos of nothing, really, but the Asian grocery has a metric SHITLOAD of different mushrooms.
You got an Asian market suggestion near me in Golden? I am on the hunt for exactly those items, coincidentally.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Pulled the cracked crabon wheel off the bike yesterday and swapped the original wheel back on there. On post-mortem inspection I found not only the crack from the other day, but another more bigger crack that I can only surmise happened in Moab on Rockstacker. Pretty sure @6thElement witnessed that one happening live... the sound that rear wheel made he was certain I turned the rim into a square. I didn't find anything during a quick trailside inspection, but the bead is definitely smashed. Just happy I was able to ride out that day.

Yeah, gonna get the warranty going for this rim and then definitely sell the wheelset after I build it back up. These things would probably work for someone... but not me.
So you're saying I have a chance?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

What rims?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I can only surmise happened in Moab on Rockstacker. Pretty sure @6thElement witnessed that one happening live... the sound that rear wheel made he was certain I turned the rim into a square
Thankfully it stayed roundish for that drop on Jackson's.