Quantcast

Happy non-denominational day(s)!

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
OK, this non-denominalization of the holidays is being carried way too far. Here's a local news item I just read.
Pittsford, NY - A seasonal display entitled "Winter Magic," featuring an evergreen tree, snowmen, and gold stars at the Park Road Elementary School in Pittsford was taken down after a complaint.
Peter Craig's children attend the school. He thinks the Pittsford School District has gone too far in this case and that the controversy has put an unnecessary chill in the air.
"It seems to me, for somebody to complain about a winter scene because it includes stars and a tree is hypersensitive to say the least," Craig said.
Superintendent Mary Alice Price said the district is following guidelines regarding religious holidays set by a multi-faith committee. She said the district will revisit those guidelines.
"What I know is, we have great diversity and equally strong emotions about the guidelines being both too much and too little, and that's where we need to go back and look," she said.
Park Road principal Scott Rinehart said they have an obligation to make sure that all children feel comfortable in the school.
"One of our goals…is to make sure that every child that enters that building feels like it's 'their school.' We don't want any kids walking in and feeling like this isn't their place to be," Rinehart said.
They showed a pic of the display, and the stars weren't even ON the tree. It just looked like a winter night scene. Get a life. :rolleyes:

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
My wife was telling me about that yesterday! :eek:

Wasn't Pittsford where they protested the new McDonalds a couple years back cause it was too brightly colored?

Maybe I should just start randomly complaining about every little thing I see that I can possibly complain about.... someone's bound to offer me an out of court settlement or something, then I can afford a new bike... :rolleyes:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Originally posted by Squid
Wasn't Pittsford where they protested the new McDonalds a couple years back cause it was too brightly colored?
Yep. They had to repaint the exterior.

They also ran the K-Mart out of Pittsford Plaza across the street because it was attracting the "wrong kind of people."
:think: Well, I have no problems with K-Mart not being around, but, the 1 or 2 times I went in there, I must say it was the classiest K-Mart I've ever seen. Looked more like a Kaufman's.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Those people shall be my army (and slaves and livestock) in the apocalypse. They will be helpless without my leadership.

MUAHAHAHA!

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
I go to the Wegmans there, and I feel out of place parking my saturn amidst all the Beemers and whatnot.

I used to work for a guy building houses in Pittsford.. Spall Construction, and we'd be working in a development (track housing for rich people), and the Lawn Doctor truck would come tearing past, yellow light flashing, pull into someone's driveway and start unreeling the hose.... it was like someone had dialed 911 for their lawn! :p

We used to crack up at this one lady, she'd back her mint BMW SUV out of her driveway, and hit the garbage can at the side of the road, and then yell at her husband for leaving it there :D

Pittsford rocks!!! :rolleyes:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
I used to live and work in Brighton and had to shop at that Wegmans too. Hated it.
Definitely oversized SUV-land there. I remember seeing this one lady negotiating corners around the parking lot (from lane to lane). She had this scary, 'oh-no-am-I-going-to-make-it?' look on her face. :eek: If it's too much of a machine, don't drive the bloody thing. :angry:
Ah, but that's another rant. ;)

Squid

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah, both the store and its parking lot for some reason are always really crowded.

I go there cause its got the best chance of having wierd foods... unless there's another super wegmans somewhere....