Quantcast

Happy STUPID MADE UP BY THE CARD COMPANYS KISS MY A$$ Valentines day.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If this is what it takes to ensure that one month from now I'm locked in for a steak and bj then a little conjured up romance isn't that tough a pill to swallow.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Saint Valentine's Day, often simply Valentine's Day, is a holiday observed on February 14 honoring one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentinus. It was first established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD, and was later deleted from the General Roman Calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI. It is celebrated in countries around the world, mostly in the West, although it remains a working day in all of them.

The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By the 15th century, it had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines").

Modern Valentine's Day symbols include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Saint Valentine's Day, often simply Valentine's Day, is a holiday observed on February 14 honoring one or more early Christian martyrs named Valentinus. It was first established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD, and was later deleted from the General Roman Calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI. It is celebrated in countries around the world, mostly in the West, although it remains a working day in all of them.

The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By the 15th century, it had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines").

Modern Valentine's Day symbols include the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have given way to mass-produced greeting cards.
Wikipedia?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Wikipedia?

How about the history channel then?

Origins of Valentine's Day: A Pagan Festival in February

While some believe that Valentine's Day is celebrated in the middle of February to commemorate the anniversary of Valentine's death or burial--which probably occurred around A.D. 270--others claim that the Christian church may have decided to place St. Valentine's feast day in the middle of February in an effort to "Christianize" the pagan celebration of Lupercalia. Celebrated at the ides of February, or February 15, Lupercalia was a fertility festival dedicated to Faunus, the Roman god of agriculture, as well as to the Roman founders Romulus and Remus.

To begin the festival, members of the Luperci, an order of Roman priests, would gather at a sacred cave where the infants Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome, were believed to have been cared for by a she-wolf or lupa. The priests would sacrifice a goat, for fertility, and a dog, for purification. They would then strip the goat's hide into strips, dip them into the sacrificial blood and take to the streets, gently slapping both women and crop fields with the goat hide. Far from being fearful, Roman women welcomed the touch of the hides because it was believed to make them more fertile in the coming year. Later in the day, according to legend, all the young women in the city would place their names in a big urn. The city's bachelors would each choose a name and become paired for the year with his chosen woman. These matches often ended in marriage.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I don't celebrate valentines day as a holiday, merely as a day of investment. If I invest nothing, I get nothing in return for another 362 days. If I invest wisely, my annual return will bring a smile to my face.

365 days - valentines - bday nookie - nye nookie = 362 days

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I loved Valentines day when I was single. I would go troll bars, looking for low self esteem, being single depression, and at least four drinks empty on her table. 100% of the time, it worked 100% of the time, and usually in the bar bathroom.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA

...who wants to celebrate with their loved ones naow ;) ;)

Bazinga!

And this is for my honey: :D

I get to make dinner for both my guys tonight and watch 50 first dates at home. Pretty much a winning Valentines day!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Skibunny, if I haven't said it before, let me say it now. I love you.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I bought my special lady friend a set of rock/step rails for her Wrangler. At 5'1.75", its like watching a midget climb into a monster truck, so these should help.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Agreed! Even though the wife and dont celebrate V Day either I still shell out the $10 for some flowers. It's kind of like being one up for the next time I say something stupid and piss her off.
our "celebration" is me making fillets and risotto, in between about 2 hours of conference calls to asia.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Some battles are worth fighting. This one, not so much. My girl genuinely doesn't care but I still do something nice for her. An easy way to look awesomer to her, and make it easier for her to answer her dumb-ass friends who need to know what we're doing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Some battles are worth fighting. This one, not so much. My girl genuinely doesn't care but I still do something nice for her. An easy way to look awesomer to her, and make it easier for her to answer her dumb-ass friends who need to know what we're doing.
Liz's bday was about 3 weeks ago. I took her into NYC for the weekend, took her shopping in soho, nice sushi dinner, then drinks, and sunday brunch at a nice organic bistro kind of place. she's fine with not celebrating valentines day.