Quantcast

Happy Valentine's Day

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Did you hit her or call her names?
Neither, I did a painting for her. Out of nowhere I got inspired to paint for her on V-day. Weird, it came out allright too. She likes to quilt, so I painted a heart, half-quilt, half-bike wheel and tire. It was pretty sweet. Not to toot my own horn or anything.

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
We generally don't do anything either, this was just spur of the moment. She got me a card. She had no idea I was even planning anything.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Neither, I did a painting for her. Out of nowhere I got inspired to paint for her on V-day. Weird, it came out allright too. She likes to quilt, so I painted a heart, half-quilt, half-bike wheel and tire. It was pretty sweet. Not to toot my own horn or anything.
Handmade stuff is awesome. I tried to find a lapis and gold bead necklace for my wife a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find a decent one for a fair price. I ended up buying all the stuff (all 14K and premium lapis) and the crimping tools and making it myself. People ask her about it all the time.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I don’t like doing anything for Valentine's Day. My girlfriend said she didn’t want to do anything. I know that was an "I don’t want anything, but I really do..." kind of thing. So I got her a vase and put 3 roses in it with some of those really small white flowers. I made an awesome card done in all red/black sharpies. And as I was leaving this morning I made it seem like I didn't get her anything thing, then right before I shut the door I said check the bathroom counter. She text me back on my way to work really stoked. =]

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
The Ugly Side of Valentine's Gifts

:
Be My (Blood-Drenched, Pesticide-Ridden, Child-Enslaving) Valentine

The means by which we get our chocolate, diamonds and flowers for Valentine's Day can be barbaric and even murderous-but there are alternatives (and no, we don't mean carob).

WEB-EXCLUSIVE BUZZKILL

By Alexandra Gekas

Newsweek

Updated: 11:05 a.m. MT Feb 14, 2007

As

Americans spend up to $16.9 billion on Valentine's gifts this year, this seems like a good time to look a little harder at the less-sweet side of the romance industry-and where to buy some of the most politically correct gifts. Happy Valentine's Day.
Flowers:

Say you want to buy some flowers for your sweetie, but you don't want to buy any of those blooms plucked on flower farms by non-union, poorly paid workers who've been inhaling pesticide all day. And that would be most flowers, because 78 percent of the flowers sold in the United States are imported from Latin America and Africa. To do the right thing, according to Amy Stewart, author of "Flower Confidential," a book detailing the international flower industry, you should look for a VeriFlora certification label on flowers to assure they meet agricultural, environmental and social-responsibility standards. "You can buy flowers that are certified by the VeriFlora program," she says, "and Fair Trade

[Fair Trade Federation, a consortium of wholesalers and retailers dedicated to ensuring decent wages among agricultural workers worldwide] is also going to roll out flowers that are being labeled as organic, so you can walk into a retailer like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's and find organic flowers."
Chocolates:

In 2000, a report by the U.S. State Department concluded that approximately 15,000 children ages 9 to 12 had been sold into forced labor on cotton, coffee and cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast, which provides 43 percent of the world's cocoa. In 2002, the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, an Africa-based research organization, reported that 284,000 West African children were working on cocoa farms performing hazardous tasks involving machetes and poisonous chemicals. What to do if you don't want to give chocolate tainted by the shadow of child slavery? For once, according to Adrienne Fitch-Frankel of Global Exchange, a human-rights organization, there is an easy solution. You "can easily find high-quality, fair-trade chocolate," she says. "Just look for the Transfair label

[saying Fair Trade Certified] and there you go--guilt-free chocolate that is good for the heart, good for the soul and good for the world."
Diamonds:

The Oscar-nominated film "Blood Diamond" has raised questions about just where that sparkling solitaire could have come from--and whether buying it will help fund African rebel movements in conflicts that, according to Fitch-Frankel of Global Exchange, have left a total of more than 3.7 million people dead and many more displaced. If you want to know more about a stone's origins, ask suppliers if they subscribe to the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme, a joint government-industry initiative to stem the flow of conflict diamonds. There are currently few diamond retailers making such assurances in the United States (although it is common practice in many countries outside the United States), but Fitch-Frankel urges consumers to ask retailers to insist that suppliers offer warranties.

Evening Cards:

Even greeting cards can be a PC landmine. According to the Greeting Card Association, Americans buy nearly 7 billion greeting cards a year. To fight the effects of deforestation you could 1) send only an e-card and then 2) start looking for another significant other, or 3) send a card printed on 100 percent recycled paper or--if you're just exploding with so much love that you can afford to direct some in Mother Earth's direction--then 4) send a card printed on 100 percent post-consumer content, which means your card was recycled from paper that had been used before and not just scraps swept up on the paper mill floor.

Lingerie:

Before going out to buy your sweetie some sexy lingerie for Valentine's Day, find out whether she may have taken offense at the racy ads used by some manufacturers. And check out where the underwear comes from, too--some women don't want a product of sweatshop labor nestling up close and personal.

Wine:

The good news for wine lovers is that there don't appear to be any major international boycotts against the wine industry. Although there are questions of illegal workers and environmental concerns with mass agriculture, you can find organic wines in most stores. So raise a glass, and enjoy the day.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I got OMGF some cute little satin Playboy bunny boxers (which to me is fun and kitschy and kinky all at the same time). Usually when I get him things, they are useful.... like carabiners, slings, climbing books.... so, this is a departure from that.

And I made him a dark chocolate cake with chocolate ganache.

It's not a big holiday here, either, but it's sweet and fun.
He's my love monkey.:cupidarrow:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I got OMGF some cute little satin Playboy bunny boxers (which to me is fun and kitschy and kinky all at the same time). Usually when I get him things, they are useful.... like carabiners, slings, climbing books.... so, this is a departure from that.

And I made him a dark chocolate cake with chocolate ganache.

It's not a big holiday here, either, but it's sweet and fun.
He's my love monkey.:cupidarrow:
Aww...that sounds nice.

My love monkey is 250 miles away and there's a blizzard right now :disgust:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We don't really put much focus on it - it's always Valentine's day at my place.

Although, this morning I got my girl a priceless gift: We were out of coffee, so I went out into the cold cruel world and bought some before she got up. And a single rose. And I'm making a pimpin' dinner later (champagne, rack of lamb, etc.).

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
The Ugly Side of Valentine's Gifts

:
Be My (Blood-Drenched, Pesticide-Ridden, Child-Enslaving) Valentine

The means by which we get our chocolate, diamonds and flowers for Valentine's Day can be barbaric and even murderous-but there are alternatives (and no, we don't mean carob).

WEB-EXCLUSIVE BUZZKILL

By Alexandra Gekas

Newsweek

Updated: 11:05 a.m. MT Feb 14, 2007

As

Americans spend up to $16.9 billion on Valentine's gifts this year, this seems like a good time to look a little harder at the less-sweet side of the romance industry-and where to buy some of the most politically correct gifts. Happy Valentine's Day.
Flowers:

...yada yada yada hippy bull****.
Freakin' hippies :plthumbsdown:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
This morning my husband wished me "Happy Dead Roman Saint's Day, honey." I told him I wanted a chocolate heart only if it were anatomically correct... :twitch:

We figure Valentine's Day is mostly for amateurs...

BIRDMAN111

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2006
at school dreaming about trails
i had to settle to talking on the phone with my girlfriend. i couldnt drive up to her house due to my parents being annoying...meaning they wont let me drive when there is ice on the roads. and she lives an hour away:disgust:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
This morning my husband wished me "Happy Dead Roman Saint's Day, honey." I told him I wanted a chocolate heart only if it were anatomically correct... :twitch:
That would be sofa king awesome if it had red cherry 'sauce' oozing out of it!

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
Here's a phone picture of the painting I did for my wife. I just really like how it came out.

Sorry for going on about this. I'm just happy with the finished product.