Quantcast

Hard Drive Down!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm glad I ran a backup today before I upgraded to 10.5.8, but still lost movies and 11 years of Phoenix photos.

Dammit!

Running Drive Genius and hoping for the best...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Eh? You ran a backup? (does that mean backing up or updating from your backup?)

Did you back up before updating and the backup was no good?
If not, how did you loose data?

I always keep 2 backups. Hope it works out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I feel your pain. Yesterday I was installing a security patch on my Macbook. The patch installation failed, and afterwards none of my programs would start. So I figured I'd reboot and try again. Well, that's where the joke was on me. My Macbook won't boot now. I get the chime, and the Apple logo with a circle status indicator beneath it, but it just stalls there. I have the Applecare Repair CD, but it's not recognizing it as bootable, and I have as of yet been unable to find the Mac OSX install cd that came with the computer. Ugh.

Also, I find it very funny that stinky's computer says "SMART not supported" :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
average person with raid 5, yeah right.

but one of those setup that is 2 1TB's with Raid 1 would be another story
Hey, you asked, and there is a way to deal with hard drive failure (that is, providing you are proactive :D ).

And yes, Raid 1 is much more practical for the average consumer. But with the prices of hard drives still falling, cost is becoming much less of a limiting factor.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm glad I ran a backup today before I upgraded to 10.5.8, but still lost movies and 11 years of Phoenix photos.

Dammit!

Running Drive Genius and hoping for the best...
Weak man. \/\/

$100 buys you 1TB of drive space. Nobody has any excuse for losing data from a drive failure.
Best thing I have done in the last year.

I have that bitch set up as a time machine. Daily backups etc for my new(er) 24 inch iMac.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Someone woke up on the sassy side of the bed this morning.

I have been a PC user since I can remember (My dad worked for IBM when I was a kid) and I have been using mac's for 10+ years now. I still have had 1/8th (or less) the amount of issues with mac's than I have had with PC's.

I have also done software QA on both platforms now for 5+ years, the difference is pretty significant.

Just my experience I guess.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I just LOL every time someone brags about iPhones, iPods, iBooks, iDildos, iCupcakes, etc. and claims how much better they all are over PC/M$ stuff, then it finally blows up in their face.

I prefer Dell/Microsoft stuff, but I'm certainly not going to give Bill Gates an eReach-Around every chance I get. That way when my computer explodes and I'm stuck on a phone for 2 hours with Muhammad in India reading my serial number for the 17th time, I don't look like a tremendous tool.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Eh? You ran a backup? (does that mean backing up or updating from your backup?)

Did you back up before updating and the backup was no good?
If not, how did you loose data?

I always keep 2 backups. Hope it works out.
I just did a "drag and drop"

Drive Genius is not giving me the option to repair... :rant:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I just LOL every time someone brags about iPhones, iPods, iBooks, iDildos, iCupcakes, etc. and claims how much better they all are over PC/M$ stuff, then it finally blows up in their face.

I prefer Dell/Microsoft stuff, but I'm certainly not going to give Bill Gates an eReach-Around every chance I get. That way when my computer explodes and I'm stuck on a phone for 2 hours with Muhammad in India reading my serial number for the 17th time, I don't look like a tremendous tool.
eReach-Around ftw.

must spread rep...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

I am enjoying my iPhone and only 5 weeks into our little affair, it dies :rant: I went to the Apple store and they had no idea what was going on with it and gave me a new one. I'll count the days and back it up often.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have twin 2TB externals, one running as time machine and one that gets monthly updates to photo/music/doc collections (which is also in Time Machine). Apps/programs are replaceable, media is not...redundant backups ftw.

When I move to a place with decent bandwidth, I'll start doing online backups as well.

Hard drives are prone to failure, and for someone as technically inept as Stinky, such things usually mean disaster...