Quantcast

Hard drive nuking itself?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just wanted to inform y'all of an odd incident yesterday. I moved my girlfriends Dell laptop to the bedroom to do some typing. I had to turn it off because the charging circuit is hosed, and it must be plugged in to work. Anyway, turn it back on and the hard drive has taken the prerogative to turn itself into an unformatted, unpartitioned drive. No booting, no nuffin.

wtf? I just reinstalled Windows...I think all the hardware is functional. G/f is now getting a Macbook.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Did you re-format? If not, DON'T!

look for some utiilites cuz it sounds like just the directory was corrupted and I think that can be re-built without lloss.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

look for some utiilites cuz it sounds like just the directory was corrupted and I think that can be re-built without lloss.
Already done...there was nothing of importance on it anyway, owing to a reformat 3 weeks ago. Otherwise I would've tried to recover it...

i h8 pcs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
She should wait until later this week to order her macbook. Macworld starts tomorrow and the will undoubtedly update the macbooks and macbook pros if they don't just release new models.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

It's a fvcking pain in the ass if the MBR is corrupted. Somehow my wife manged to toast the partition info on our PC.

AND the backup partition info that XP puts on the end of the disk.

I had to go in w/ recover software and pull all the data off the drive. This is what prompted the install of Ubuntu. I haven't looked back.

Blue - look into putting Ubuntu on that laptop if you are going Mac anyway. You'll dig it, I promise.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
fdisk /mbr
Doesn't work if the MBR is toasted on each end.

XP makes a "backup" copy of the MBR at the end of the drive. If it becomes corrupted too then the MBR goes bye-bye.

Which is what my wife did by hitting the reset button like it was the button for a walk signal at an intersection.
:D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Blue - look into putting Ubuntu on that laptop if you are going Mac anyway. You'll dig it, I promise.
That's a good thought. I'm tempted to turn it into a mobile photo editing machine, but with a roached charging circuit it would be pretty worthless in that regard.

Thanks for the tip on MacWorld, Fraser.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Apparently the macbook "air" is finally being release. Ultra portable, no optical drive, stupid light/thin. I may pick one up if I don't get a MBP. I need something new this season.

Wanna buy an old super beat 1.67 powerbook g4? :)

I really want an ultraportable 15" screen laptop with a multitouch track pad.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's a fvcking pain in the ass if the MBR is corrupted. Somehow my wife manged to toast the partition info on our PC.

AND the backup partition info that XP puts on the end of the disk.

I had to go in w/ recover software and pull all the data off the drive. This is what prompted the install of Ubuntu. I haven't looked back.

Gutsy Gibbon is running. I'm very impressed with the way it installed...very Mac-like. It knew what the hell it was doing, for the most part, and autodetected/installed drivers for nearly every hunk of hardware the machine came with. It takes half a day to normally get the machine running with a fresh Windows install (hunting for drivers and installing in the right order.)

The Intel graphics driver it came with made all the toolbars come up ****ed up, though (really fvcking big). Running on the generic driver...don't know if it matters with such a bottom-barrel GPU.