Quantcast

Hard drive questions!

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'm working on wiping a bunch of hard drives, so I've got a dozen systems set up, and I'm swapping out the drives when they're done. However, some of the drives don't register when they're connected. Some of them are old, some are pretty new. I can hear them spin up, but the computer can't find them, so I can't wipe them. Any ideas on what's going on? :huh:

Thanks

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The cables are connected correctly.
The jumpers seem to be set correctly, but I might as well try alternative configs.
There's just one hd per machine, so it shouldn't cause any problems if the hd is set as master, should it?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The drives vary from 40gb to 10gb. The motherboards are of late 2002 vintage; though I could pop open some newer machines, the drive is the easiest to access on these. They support 40gig drives (most of the time).

Switching the jumpers on some of the ten gig drives from master to single got them recognized, but there's still a pile of uncooperative drives.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
The drives vary from 40gb to 10gb. The motherboards are of late 2002 vintage; though I could pop open some newer machines, the drive is the easiest to access on these. They support 40gig drives (most of the time).

Switching the jumpers on some of the ten gig drives from master to single got them recognized, but there's still a pile of uncooperative drives.
Use a fvcking magnet already would ya?!?!? Sheesh....SO hard headed!

:p

All joking aside, I have had some drive completely fubar and cannot get them recognized after the fact....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I had a drive die after sitting around unused for a couple years, they're kind of twitchy mechanisms IMO especially when they are switched between machines. I'd still bet it's a jumper problem, I had drives that would only work on cable select, and drives that would only work with the jumper randomly across two pins that were for neither master or slave, different manufacturers use different jumper locations for master or slave too, so that might hose you if you're setting them all the same.