Quantcast

Hard drive troubles...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
New Seagate SATA drive (maybe 2 months old) if fvcking up. It doesn't show up in the bios. I think it's spinning, but the mobo doesn't see it.

It's not the mobo or the cables, I checked with another SATA drive and it sees it fine.

Suggestions? (I am so effin pissed right now...)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Did you test it in another system or a USB adapter or enclosure?

HDDs have minimum 1 year, most 3 or 5 years these days. Warranty it.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If its clicking there is the freeze trick that works sometime for a short period of time before it warms up.

Data recovery service is mucho expensive so usually there isn't a ton you can do otherwise if nothing is reading the drive.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If its clicking there is the freeze trick that works sometime for a short period of time before it warms up.

Data recovery service is mucho expensive so usually there isn't a ton you can do otherwise if nothing is reading the drive.
I've done the freeze trick, that actually does work.

But it's not the clicking stuck read head thing. It's spinning quietly.

Dammit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Depending on how important those pictures are you could try replacing the circuit board with another off the exact same model/revision of drive.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Depending on how important those pictures are you could try replacing the circuit board with another off the exact same model/revision of drive.
Yeah it's just pics and movies of my 6 month old son.

*sigh*

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm in the process of building a small server to keep in my closet. It'll manage all of my files including the RAID in the server itself and automated nightly backup to my two other computers in the house, and online. I'm done with the sketchy backups that I try hard to stay on top of, but often put off until later.

Drives are pretty cheap, though - if you have no other options, buying a second drive and trying to fix it via the circuit board is a whole lot less expensive than a big data recovery - and at, what, less than $100 it's not a lot of money for memories of a third of your son's life.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Hey BV, not sur ehow far along you are, but I have a QNAP NAS system running doing exactly what you want. Simple, faily cheap and super handy. It runs torrents, serves my itunes catalog to all machine sin my house (including my iphone) and serves up dozens of movies, tunes and photos to my xbox 360. They work fantastically well with the new photo party program in the xbox 360 NXE dash I have been using for 2 weeks.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm in the process of building a small server to keep in my closet. It'll manage all of my files including the RAID in the server itself and automated nightly backup to my two other computers in the house, and online. I'm done with the sketchy backups that I try hard to stay on top of, but often put off until later.

Drives are pretty cheap, though - if you have no other options, buying a second drive and trying to fix it via the circuit board is a whole lot less expensive than a big data recovery - and at, what, less than $100 it's not a lot of money for memories of a third of your son's life.
I have been obsessively setting up my new shop. Setting up the home and shop networks was my next project. This throws a big fvcking wrench into the whole thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I have about 90% of the parts required to build the server already - case, memory, motherboard, power supply, cpu. All I need are drives and a motherboard. Consequently, the QNAP system was much more expensive than just building a small server.

Plus, I'm going to use it as a learning sandbox. I work a lot more now with Server 2003 than I'm used to, so I'd like to gain a little more experience with the more esoteric functions of it.

I did a bunch of searches and investigated the QNAP systems on a previous recommendation you made to narlus. It's a little more elbow grease this way but it's $80 + drives vs. $380 + drives.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Agreed, the QNAP system is a little pricey for what is basically a low end linux machine.

I picked it up as I didn't want to deal with building, installing etc. For what it ended up costing me, I got a great deal I think considering the low power usage, zero effort and small form factor. The drives cost much more than the system itself anyways.

If it didn't do Itunes, media server to my 360 etc, I would not have bothered.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Drive down to Scotts Valley and hurl it through Seagate's front window.

While you're at it, burn down Scotts Valley.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
this didn't work for me (failed IDE controller); is there a work around for this?
See BV note about very similar HDD and replacing the circuit board - not usually likely with old HDDs in consumer situations but more likely for corporate settings with spare parts and/or newer/current HDD models if its really important to you.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
See BV note about very similar HDD and replacing the circuit board - not usually likely with old HDDs in consumer situations but more likely for corporate settings with spare parts and/or newer/current HDD models if its really important to you.
I looked into this, a new drive is only $100. I dunno if it's a simple fix though, the board is attached with several torx screws but there is a soldered connection that I would be almost certain to fvck up.

I bought a Western Digital drive as the new OS drive last night and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 8.1. Restoring from my last backups was so damn easy.

Imagine if Microsoft put a current .iso of Windows up every few weeks, and you simply had to paste in a few folders to restore all your settings.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Imagine if Microsoft put a current .iso of Windows up every few weeks, and you simply had to paste in a few folders to restore all your settings.
BV suggestion is the most "user friendly" technique used by data recovery companies.

The DOJ would be pissed if they enhanced the backup functionality and stepped on more small companies.

http://www.acronis.com/ (basically a modern version of norton ghost with tons of new features)

You know people have been making slipstream OS discs forever now if that is what you mean.

Here is an SP3 tutorial I googled...

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

Didn't know about this utility until I just found that:

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You know people have been making slipstream OS discs forever now if that is what you mean.
I know, I've made them.

Downloading a single 650mb .iso is sooooo much easier. The longest part of the restore process last night was copying back all my wife's pic files.

:D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know, I've made them.

Downloading a single 650mb .iso is sooooo much easier. The longest part of the restore process last night was copying back all my wife's pic files.

:D
Yeah, data restore is the by far the biggest restore process for any OS I deal with. Even upgrading from an old 5.5 exchange infrastructure to 2003. Not exactly mind blowing.