Quantcast

Hardline Wales 2024

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I suggested a hanging catch net, wouldn't do much for the impact of coming up short but would make a good spot to extract you from.. like ships have a times when overhanging exposed areas are...

Jump is doable but I want to see the conversation of who hits it first at the top...lol

I'd be all "NOPE!"
I haven't drank that much beer or smoked that much weed in a long time...

That was a clean hit on it and looks like it's pretty damn easy to overshoot..he lofted that pretty damn easy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Out of curiosity is it actually progression in terms of distance or whatever
*No.
Just watched Matt Jones' Youtube. at the end he mentions Jim flew 100ft. But he almost overshot the entire landing without a bike so I guess that could put the lip to landing transition somewhere around 80 or 90ft? So well withing the usual Fest/Audi9s etc. sorta size jumps.

Apparently Jim's fine too.

*ridiculously bigger than anything you'd find at a WC tho.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that professional mountain bikers and course builders approved the shape of that ramp. Jim’s unfortunate crash was written in the sky, I can’t believe no one said anything before it happened. Plus Kerr barely landed on the landing… Not gonna watch it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that professional mountain bikers and course builders approved the shape of that ramp. Jim’s unfortunate crash was written in the sky, I can’t believe no one said anything before it happened. Plus Kerr barely landed on the landing… Not gonna watch it.
The initial blueprint looked a bit different but you get the idea.

1716767812577.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I always forget that its technically a race hey. Looking at how much the G-out and kick compressed the bike on the practise run, it will be wild when they come in at race pace and exhausted/fatigued. Hope no-one collapses in the compression because oooooffft that will be bad.
It's like we've learned nothing from those dipshit BMX jumps with the vertical face that throw you to the moon. Cool when you gots a BMX bike.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sounds like they're reworking the lip.

It is surprising though. Like Gee has ridden rampage and knows how big jumps work, and it's being put on by redbull, who has plenty of access to the guys building jumps that size. This seems like it could have been a pretty easily avoidable issue.

The whole thing is stupid though. I want an alternate DH series that is a little bit less "burned in bike park course" and a little bit more "wild rocky and natural" with some tech jumps and drops aimed at the better riders.

What I don't need is "let's race redbull rampage, but do it in the wet"

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

It is surprising though. Like Gee has ridden rampage and knows how big jumps work, and it's being put on by redbull, who has plenty of access to the guys building jumps that size. This seems like it could have been a pretty easily avoidable issue.

The whole thing is stupid though. I want an alternate DH series that is a little bit less "burned in bike park course" and a little bit more "wild rocky and natural" with some tech jumps and drops aimed at the better riders.

This! Steep, techy stuff and taped wide to allow for line choice then fast and wide off camber sections like in Meribel where Sam did his inside line wizardry to win.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

You want to build a track that ensures delays and cancellations for a minor breeze to help highlight the venue's natural beauty and excellent weather.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I've been thinking about that.

It's not "progressing our sport", it's progressing big jumps, that's about it. That's what is marketable. That is what will get youtube clicks.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
may be old man sentiment, but i too long for more steeptechgnar tracks with taping that allows for creative / bonkers line choices. bring back champery! that said, hardline is something else; more spectacle than race, i don't see it as a viable vision of future dh racing (as evidenced by the lack of wcdh contenders). i wonder if dunne is having second thoughts at this point.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
may be old man sentiment, but i too long for more steeptechgnar tracks with taping that allows for creative / bonkers line choices. bring back champery! that said, hardline is something else; more spectacle than race, i don't see it as a viable vision of future dh racing (as evidenced by the lack of wcdh contenders). i wonder if dunne is having second thoughts at this point.
this old man concurs

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this is what my buddy had to say about this race:
"I just don't get much out of watching that sort of stuff; I just can't relate to it anymore. Soon AI will make better videos where guys just fly around the world on their bikes doing endless no handed superman mctwists and land in a field of enormous gravity-defying boobies "

yeah, I can get behind that.

maybe skip the AI-generated guys flying around the world doing tricks part too...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I enjoy watching hardline and rampage. It’s not the same sport as what I do on bike, but then again neither is WCDH.

As for risk taking and danger, I agree there probably should be a net. However, no one is being forced to be there or send that. Scared or not BK (it appeared to me) wanted to hit that shit.

Progressing the sport? Is it really necessary that absolutely everything be for progress? Why not just do it for the spectacle? For the hype? It was fucking nutso that they sent that. Good for them. Great show!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They should have a way to make it more competitive for the free riders. Perhaps post the track on Gaia and give bonus time for kills.

Deathrace2000poster.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Rumoured the canyon gap is out after noone could provide certified safety netting in time for the event?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I would think this kind of shit could be calculated relatively easily (for engineers, physicists) ahead of time? And not only that, it should be compared to appropriate m/s accelerations that can be handled by the bike and rider, such as for the launch lip. I'd think you can calculate required speed at the lip to arrive at the landing/transition, gravity is a constant and the angle of the lip gives you forward and vertical. You can probably throw in a reasonable wind resistance constant adjusted for altitude too. Then with some calculus you can probably figure out the acceleration (Gs) at the lip/launch as well as at the landing. I would also think for a big corporate sponsor putting on a race like this, not a couple kids in the forest building a cheese-wedge jump, that this should be done, to make sure there are no ridiculous forces involved or unrealistic stuff, like we know it's going to crush the bike on landing or similar...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would think this kind of shit could be calculated relatively easily (for engineers, physicists) ahead of time? And not only that, it should be compared to appropriate m/s accelerations that can be handled by the bike and rider, such as for the launch lip. I'd think you can calculate required speed at the lip to arrive at the landing/transition, gravity is a constant and the angle of the lip gives you forward and vertical. You can probably throw in a reasonable wind resistance constant adjusted for altitude too. Then with some calculus you can probably figure out the acceleration (Gs) at the lip/launch as well as at the landing. I would also think for a big corporate sponsor putting on a race like this, not a couple kids in the forest building a cheese-wedge jump, that this should be done, to make sure there are no ridiculous forces involved or unrealistic stuff, like we know it's going to crush the bike on landing or similar...

This wouldn't be terribly difficult at all, for the design you would just need some average rider weight, rolling resistance size and Cd. There will be variability due to rider movement and suspension, but also why you would want zero curvature at the end of the jump so the bikes can be in steady state at that point, not a fucking constant radius curve. Shit you could even take individual rider data and tell them how fast they need to be going say right before the transition. Years ago there was a shitty inexpensive power meter that just measured ground speed and wind speed, it would estimate all the individual rider data above.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
this is what my buddy had to say about this race:
"I just don't get much out of watching that sort of stuff; I just can't relate to it anymore. Soon AI will make better videos where guys just fly around the world on their bikes doing endless no handed superman mctwists and land in a field of enormous gravity-defying boobies "

yeah, I can get behind that.

maybe skip the AI-generated guys flying around the world doing tricks part too...

The idea of a "race" when you let a few top riders "test" the course is ridiculous. Would be like giving Bruni an extra day of practice than everyone else.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Math is extremely simple. All you need is rider mass, drag factor (aka fudge factor - start at 0.3 and dither) and velocity vector at the lip. It is literally a physics 101 homework problem. Can be done with or without differential equations - technically, it’s still a differential equation, but the solution is pretty commonly used on it’s own…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Math is extremely simple. All you need is rider mass, drag factor (aka fudge factor - start at 0.3 and dither) and velocity vector at the lip. It is literally a physics 101 homework problem. Can be done with or without differential equations - technically, it’s still a differential equation, but the solution is pretty commonly used on it’s own…
1716864401143.png