Quantcast

hardtail DH build

8.5 inch fork too big for a hard tail DH bike?

• hell no mang, let'r rip, free fork anyways

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • overkill, your compensating, pick another fork retard..

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

gonefirefightin

free wieners
ok, heres the dealio

I have a bro in town that is going to build a frame for me. I have a gnar gnar fork lying around and thought I would build a hardtail DH bike so I can play around in new events

do you think a 8.5 inch travel for is too much for a hard tail?

I am casting a vote first to see what your opinions are then I will reveal the fork and the other need for advice.

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
It makes sense for DJ or even FR where the drops are very smooth and consistent. It's much easier to manage the rear end like that.

With DH there is a lot more chop, roots, rocks and your rear is going to just go wild without suspension. I don't think your fork is going to be the limiting factor is basically what I'm trying to say.

With that said I would shoot for something more in the 5" range. It won't mess with the geometry like a 8.5 would on a hardtail. You might also want to see what the travel limit for the frame is before you do anything.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never had a hardtail designed around a fork that big, but for me at least, a hardtail's all about being whippy and agile. Anything that massive's going to kill some of that. I also think there becomes a point, for DH at least, where the hardtail starts being the limiting factor, not the amount of front travel you've got, so it might make more sense to rock something a little smaller.

On the other hand, if you want to make a huck bike, or just feel like screwing around and trying something new, why not?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Run it at 7" I rode my old Astrix Union with a 170mm 66 and it slayed on the DH track. I think running that fork at 8.5" would put your bars to high. I'd set up the frame at 65º HA with the fork at 170, run long stays to, they'll help keep you stable when things get gnarly yet the semi steep HA will keep things nimble enough to keep you out of trouble.

Last edited:

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
I will start a thread for the geometry geeks to chime in
:confused:

Or ride ride with different travel and pick your preferable setting?

I found out that 66 (180 mm) allows better handling than domain (160 mm) due to higher cockpit and slacker head angle.