Quantcast

Hardtail or FSXC?

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
I was just curious what most of the 12-24 hour munkies here like to race on, a hardtail or an short travel FS bike? Maybe one of each to switch? Would you set this bike up any differently than if you were racing in a NORBA XC race? The longest I ever rode was the Vision QUest in SoCAl, it was 56 miles in about 8 hours time, and I did that on a hardtail, but that was before I owned an FSXC bike so now I have more options for this type of race & am curiuos as to what others are doing...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, previously I only owned one mountain bike - my Gary Fisher Sugar (short travel) so I rode it for every race. I don't think I would race for 12 or 24 hours on a HT if I had a choice. It really depends on the course though. I see a lot of people who ride HT in the day and FS at night. Personally, if you're going to be out there for 12-24 hours...be comfortable and take the FS.

Z

Zonic Man

Certainly not an expert on the XC or 24 hour circut, but I can report what I SAW...

Most people at sea otter (and I know idylwild) ride hardtails...steel or ti ones. Aluminum sucks ass. I know, I rode one this last weekend. My back hates me.)

The other people ride SHORT travel XC bikes like truths, NRSs, fuels and scalpels...I also saw a ton more full suspension bikes at night than during the daytime...it seemed like the FS bikes were out then...even saw one guy riding a foes fly!

For me, hardtails are key. I am too big and ride too hard for the latest breed of short travel xc bikes. Ride the HT during the day/to start with, then go off to fs if you feel the need.

Check out the dude on the fly. Must weigh over 40 pounds with the lights!

Attachments

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
i had to tell someone so i might as well gloat in here, i got my marzocchi marathon 100 today :D :D :D :D so i'm a happy:monkey: !!! the Ventana will be rolling this weekend so I can get training for some epic long rides... and hopefully races too...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by kafin8ed
i had to tell someone so i might as well gloat in here, i got my marzocchi marathon 100 today :D :D :D :D so i'm a happy:monkey: !!! the Ventana will be rolling this weekend so I can get training for some epic long rides... and hopefully races too...
Cool, I have the 80mm.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Heidi

Cool, I have the 80mm.
if i was you i'd ride the ht during the day and the fs at night. the fs at night will allow you a good bit of more for mistakes as far as lines and what not. and dude you guys use a LOT of travel, riding 63 here w/ the lock out on most of the time.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by indieboy

if i was you i'd ride the ht during the day and the fs at night. the fs at night will allow you a good bit of more for mistakes as far as lines and what not. and dude you guys use a LOT of travel, riding 63 here w/ the lock out on most of the time.
You just arent extreme like we are.

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
rear lockout has it's applications but I think the whole point of riding a hardtail really is light weight. dragging 4 extra pounds of weight around a trail is one thing but doing it for 24 hours is a serious chore. I'm going to set me up with a very nice FSXC rig first & foremost for comfort and then I have friends with hardtails I can borrow to race with or as a backups.

and yes I know 100mm is alot of travel, but I wanted to match the front & rear best as possible for trail riding since that is what I'll be doing the majority of. I think the marathons can be changed to 80mm prety easily (i may be wrong about that though) and my rear end will run at 3,4, or 5 inches so I have decent flexibility as far as my bike is concerned.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I heard when Tinker won the 24 hr worlds championships he had a Jekyl, a Scapel, and a Custom Hartail built up. He only used the Scapel and the Jekyl.

Sabine

Chimp
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy

Actually I did the opposite and rode my fs during the day and my ht at night. I figured that during the day I could take advantage of the fs and bomb down stuff that I wouldn't be so willing to bomb down at night. Then at night the lightweight ht would make up for the weight of the light batteries. Besides, I needed the extra bottle cage the ht provided for the battery.

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
Originally posted by Sabine

Actually I did the opposite and rode my fs during the day and my ht at night. I figured that during the day I could take advantage of the fs and bomb down stuff that I wouldn't be so willing to bomb down at night. Then at night the lightweight ht would make up for the weight of the light batteries. Besides, I needed the extra bottle cage the ht provided for the battery.
Well, that does make good sense, hmmm...

Z

Zonic Man

Originally posted by kafin8ed

and yes I know 100mm is alot of travel, but I wanted to match the front & rear best as possible for trail riding since that is what I'll be doing the majority of. I think the marathons can be changed to 80mm prety easily (i may be wrong about that though)

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The travel on the marathon CANNOT be changed without some MAJOR work by marzocchi with all new internals...not a simple travel change like the others....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by RideMonkey

You just arent extreme like we are.
nope not nearly as extremely as you RM, mr. i can't ride a cross bike b/c it's to difficult...........

kafin8ed

Devil Goat Boy
Aug 12, 2001
Woodland Hills, CA
Originally posted by Zonic Man

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The travel on the marathon CANNOT be changed without some MAJOR work by marzocchi with all new internals...not a simple travel change like the others....
you wanna know the stupidest thing? they sent me the wrong fork so now I have an 80mm marathon, it says 100mm on the box but it only budges ~75mm (5 for the neg. spring) & of course it's already installed & cut & everything... doh! well it WILL be better for racing & aside from that this has got to be the best XC fork I've ever ridden so I can't complain right now...