Quantcast

Hardtail tires

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I know there are some monkeys rocking hardtails and I need some input on tires.

Wifey and I are hitting the road next year, and I will be focusing on surfing again. So letting the Patrol go in a couple of months and now looking for some tires to run on the hardtail. Current setup is Dissector front and Aggressor rear which has been a perfect combo for the morning pump track sessions and sprinting around the local trail which is all hardpack. But next year I will need my hardtail to be more capable. Still want something to roll fast and be versatile, but needs to be more aggressive than the current setup. I also need something that will wear well as a rear tire (Dissector and HR are out). I was thinking DHF front and rear would be a fast and capable setup, and I remember a DHF dual compound lasting really well running it in the rear. But I don't need a front tire that is vague and I don't want to buy one to try and then dislike it, I will be out of work and cash will be tight. I have thought about a MM front with a DHR rear, but I don't think I will need anything as aggressive as the MM, and would prefer faster rolling speed. DHR front and rear is a real consideration. The new Hans Dampf gets good reviews but seems to wear fast in the rear (I can only find it in soft). There is a sale on all of these tires, hence my focus on them as possible options. For the rear I would like to run a DD or supergravity casing, and maybe run an insert, but the prices for these are premium (other than a MM). The Pound has slumped so looking to stock up now before the next batch of tires come in and prices get hiked.

Oh, and I don't mind mixing/matching if it gives me the best results.

20201108_155138.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Believe it or not, I'm liking the Specialized tires with the T7 compound. They have good traction and don't wear out that quickly. The Grid casing seems reliable as I've never had an issue with their sidewalls in the 3-4 years I've used them. I used the Purgatory, Butcher and one other (it begins with an E) and really don't have any complaints.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Nice bike!

I run Vittoria Mazza 2.4 Trail Casing with CushCore Pro front and rear on my Honzo ESD.

First time I try these tires and I like them quite a lot. They are less expensive than Maxxis and offer good traction, but I don't have enough mileage to comment on the durability. The thread is a bit more aggressive than I expected. I think a Mazza Front with Martello Rear may be a better combo (or Martello F/R) for hardpack conditions. I don't have experience on the Martello at the moment, but I'd be very interested to try it if it is slightly faster rolling than the Mazza.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Nice bike!

I run Vittoria Mazza 2.4 Trail Casing with CushCore Pro front and rear on my Honzo ESD.

First time I try these tires and I like them quite a lot. They are less expensive than Maxxis and offer good traction, but I don't have enough mileage to comment on the durability. The thread is a bit more aggressive than I expected. I think a Mazza Front with Martello Rear may be a better combo (or Martello F/R) for hardpack conditions. I don't have experience on the Martello at the moment, but I'd be very interested to try it if it is slightly faster rolling than the Mazza.
These caught my eye while watching an MTB video today. Looked into them but pricing doesn't match what I have listed, since they are on sale right now (hence the urgency to order up).

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Believe it or not, I'm liking the Specialized tires with the T7 compound. They have good traction and don't wear out that quickly. The Grid casing seems reliable as I've never had an issue with their sidewalls in the 3-4 years I've used them. I used the Purgatory, Butcher and one other (it begins with an E) and really don't have any complaints.
Cheers E-City

Looks like the best option is the Spesh store, but stock pricing is really good. Now I need to understand the models and casings and compounds.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
For a faster but less aggressive combo, I like the spesh Slaughter 2.6 F/R. I bought them for $15/piece directly from Spesh.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
DHF front and rear was my set and forget combo for years and years. Sometimes I put on a SS DHF in the rear for the bone dry summer months. That worked surprisingly well on our trails. Generally I’ve tried to stop obsessing about tires and focusing on other things like fitness, technique and most importantly fun.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Cheers E-City

Looks like the best option is the Spesh store, but stock pricing is really good. Now I need to understand the models and casings and compounds.
T7 is tacky, but will last. These are the ones I like.
T9 is more along DH tacky. Very tacky, but aren't going to last too long and add rolling resistance.

Grid- is their stronger sidewall protection.

2Bliss- tubeless ready.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
DHF upfront and an SS rear
I will be out of work and cash will be tight
IMO maximum grip rarely equals maximum fun on a hardtail. So stick with dual compound f&r.
and in EXO to keep the bike nimble and faster rolling. Despite the lack of centre tread and poorer braking an SS still has the same tried and trusted DHF edge PATERN so grips very well when leant over properly. Dual compound will also last around 4 times as long as Maxxgrip and are cheaper in the first place.

If I knew I'd have no income and needed to cull my bikes to one I
it'd definitely be a hardtail. So my 26" Dartmoor 4X but with the above tyres instead of the DTHs it has. it already has a 210mm dropper and 9spd drivetrain so it's already versatile enough for any sort of riding from commuting, to jumping /pumptrack to trail centres/Enduro trails. And if money was tight I doubt I'd be doing a whole lot of traveling to ride. But if sleeping at (UK) surf spots I'd expect to be doing a whole lot of fucking about in car parks etc.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have Ground Control f+r in T5 compound on one of my bikes. Grippy they are not.