Quantcast

Hardtail vs Dual Suspension Debate

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
Oh yes, I know this is your favorite debate in all of mountian bicycling. I thought it might be time to reintroduce this age old argument just to differentiate a modern perspective with the current technologies.

After all there is the tradional hardtail to be considered, the 29er version and the dual suspension energy efficient peddling powerhouse that everybody seems to have at their LBS. The question has three parts:

1) What are you riding and what was the main reasoning for your purchase?

2) Do you ride your preference, (what is it?) if not what are you considering?

3) What characteristics or traits to cross country riding do you view as your priorities in a new bicycle?

1) I ride a hardtail mainly because they are great value and have quick accelaration blablabla...

2) I would be riding a trek fuel if I had found one that could beat the quality/price of my commencal flame. A good hardtail can be still as fast of faster on some races.

3) I want a bike that can pedal well, has a low weight etc...

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
3) What characteristics or traits to cross country riding do you view as your priorities in a new bicycle?
1) currently im riding a 2002 Giant Iguana (hardtail). I bought the bike because of the price and quAlity of the parts.
2)im not riding my preference right now. my prefered bike is a FS rig. MY next bike is going to be either NRS2, Kona Kikapu, or a Specialized StumpJumper FSR Disc.
3) My priorites in a new bike are durability, value, and weight.

Cursor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2003
can't find on mapquest
1. i'm riding a full-susp answer manitou F/S. i bought it dirt cheap from someone who used to work at answer.

2. i just started riding again after 15 yrs of being off the bike so i don't know if it's my preference. i am building a specialized m4 pro hardtail. i'll let you know. :)

3. weight

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh yes, I know this is your favorite debate in all of mountian bicycling. I thought it might be time to reintroduce this age old argument just to differentiate a modern perspective with the current technologies.

After all there is the tradional hardtail to be considered, the 29er version and the dual suspension energy efficient peddling powerhouse that everybody seems to have at their LBS. The question has three parts:

1)I'm riding a C-dale F800 main reason was that C-dale was able to give my dealer more money off so it was cheaper than Giant for what i got. Also i wanted ahradtail cause i figured i'd become better at riding so when i switch to an FS i'll be alot faster in techy parts.

2)No not really right now i'd like either a Trek Fuel 98 with the new carbon frame, or an Epic, or Titus Racer X.

3)Well light weight but reliable. Also good suspesion that won't rob energy but still work perfectly smooth.

bURKeNSTiEN

Chimp
Nov 18, 2002
Aww-stray-lee-ah

1) Hardtail slalom frame for XC.
It's stiff, strong as hell and I feel completely in control of it. It's also damn fun. It is however a little on the heavy side (26lbs built , but its a 6lb frame)

2) For general purpose XC, i love my bike. It just feels totally bulletproof & fun. For racing I would love a lighter bike, something around 20lbs & a hardtail.
Somthing like Merlin XLM with 03 xtr, crossmax xl's & sid race would be highly drool worthy.... mmmmmmmmm :D

3) Climbing ability, the feeling that your power is going directly into the ground, being able to feel what the wheels are doing. feeling like you are one with the bike (its a karate kid thing)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You'll have to pry my hardtails from my cold, dead hands.
they are simpler, lighter and stronger than FS bikes.

I had a 22.5 pound scandium rocky mtn FS bike that i built up for xc racing 2 seasons ago. it was incredibly fast, efficent, handled well and was generally a really great race bike.
I found an old fat chance frame in the basement, built it up with a rigid fork and shed that FS thing like an old winter coat.

As a scientist i know that a Fs bike of an equal weight is going to be faster than a comparable hardtail, but i don't care. i've been doing this way to long to use anything but a hardtail or rigid bike for xc racing and fast trail riding...

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

1) I currently ride a hand-built hardtail from the LBS, full XT, Magura discs.... I got it because it was affordable and bombproof. Compact frame makes tricky technical stuff a breeze.

2) For XC, my current ride is optimal. I would like to have a VOTEC M6 for enduro/alpencross:

Then again, we can't always have what we want!

3) Overall quality is more important than having the most featherlight build out there. The only drawback is that if your stuff breaks and you have to hoof it home, the lighter bike is easier to schlepp around ;) :thumb:

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Hmmm...
1)I am currently riding an AC2, but I also have an Ellsworth Isis and a Free Agent Betty for home (I live in a city).

2)I'll never ride a HT on trail again, unless all else is busted and the jones hits real hard!;) Now that i have the AC, I am looking to put the Isis on a serious diet, and address the pedal bob a bit. I think I should be able to get this bike down to 27 or so pounds....I must also admit there is a part of me that stilll wants a Ti softail thats built up rediculously light!:thumb:

3)As for characteristics: I want a proven, solid design, backed by a company that stands behind their products. MTBing cost too much to waste time with companies whos' customer service is on life support! I look for serviceabilty: how easy will it be to get the pats I need? Who carries this product in my area? How well does mailoder support this product? I look for strength: I'm a heavy ider who tends to break things frequently. Lastly, its gotta be hot! I mean c'mon, you'e dropping a bundle on a rig, you might as well enjoy going down to the basement and staring at it!!!!:D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
1) I'm currently riding a FS bike. I don't like it when my butt hurts and I want to be able to ride longer.

2) Why wouldn't I be riding what I prefer? I have a great trek 8000 hardtail. It's fast and light, now my girlfriend rides it. I liked it a lot, just hated it over roots and bumps or when-ever I was on the seat.

3) weight obviously because we're not kitty loving DH'rs but I like to see a well rounded bike for the price. I like good componenets with a good frame for a good price. I don't like when companies go cheap on one end.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride

1)My ride=Kona ManoMano FS / reason to purchase=value ($850 new)

2)FS is my preference, I'll be keeping what I have for a while but i wish it had less bob

3)overall quailty, efficient suspension, disk brakes, durability, weight

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Hmmmm...I don't think my current bike of choice has a place in this "debate." So far this season, I've only been riding my rigid singlespeed.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by BikeGeek
Hmmmm...I don't think my current bike of choice has a place in this "debate." So far this season, I've only been riding my rigid singlespeed.
I think it fits.
your friend,
capt. burntout

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
[1) For XC I ride a 03 Cannondale Jekyll 1000. If I were more patient, I could have probably scored a Yeti AS-R for less money, and I would be happier with it. But overall the Jekyll does fine - it's fast, light, and I can lock out the suspension on climbs if I want.

2) I might still end up with the Yeti someday.

3) Component selection. Weight. Versatility (I've taken my Jekyll off 7 foot drops, not that it's something I would do often).

Being 36 years old, I can't picture doing expert level technical XC races on a hardtail. Suspension lets me ride much longer with less fatigue. I won't diss the hardtail lovers, they rock. But the only hardtails for me now are my road and BMX bikes.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
1) 96 Giant ATx Team and 97 Trek Y-22

2) I prefer a full squish mainly because I lack skill, they're easier to control.

3) I will building a hartail soon. Just for speed.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
1) I ride an AC2, why?. well I'm 100kg and lack finesse.I need durability, comfort and a bike that can do everything on any terrain. I only have 1 bike so comprimises had to be made.

2) I'm riding the bike of my choice but just about any dual susser that's durable and not too heavy would fit the bill. I don't race so the issues with weight, bob etc aren't concerns. I've been offered an older ('00) heckler really cheap which is tempting. Maybe I should buy it and lighten it up a bit and go clydesdale class racing.

3) The bike needs to be durable, not too heavy for the climbs, be comfortable on all day epic's on any terrain and last but not least be fun to ride anywhere, anytime.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
I think it fits.
your friend,
capt. burntout
Ok then:

1. I'm primarily riding a beater rigid singlespeed that I built up for about $250. I originally built it as a commuter with a 42t ring in the front and a 7-spd 12x21 cassette, but my Voodoo went in the shop so I hit the trails with it.

2. I'm not picky and make do with what I have. Sure I get bike lust when I see some of the newer models out there, but when it comes down to it, I'm having fun and that's what matters to me.

3. Like I said, I'm not picky. As long as it rolls and gets me on the trails, I'm good. If someone gave me a lump of cash to buy a new bike I think I'd look at brand reputation, and bang for my buck.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
After riding a hardtail for many years, I built up an FS rig.

I like both, and they each have their own advantages, as others have stated.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side

1. Kona King Kikapu. I was looking for a nice HT becasue that's what I had budgeted for, and it seemed you could get a much better HT for my price range, or a heavy lower end FS. Then I found this bike, very lightly used ( one season, a couple of Xterra races, bike shop owner, cherry condition) and let's just say a wad of bills in the pocket made for a great deal.

2. Yes, I ride my preference.

3. No need for new bike, might build up a single speed someday.

Geargrrl

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I ride a hardtail and a 80mm fork. I prefer a hardtail as a lot of my riding is very slow and technical and full sus takes too much feel and energy away.

I don't race so speed is not an issue but fun is.

I am however seriously thinking about buying a full sus frame. I think one of each is a good compromise.