Quantcast

hardtails??

NastyBuck

Chimp
Jun 15, 2005
Dirty South
Is there any reason not to put a dual crown on a hard tail........just curious...i figured it prolly makes more sence to just buy a full suspension bike eventually but im just curious..

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
caputo1989 said:
1. Head tube angle is too slack and wacks the geo.
2. too hevey
3. Too pink bikeish
4. looks gay
5. makes the bike ride like sh**
6. .......anymore?

in most cases voids the warranty

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hey caputo, guess what?

You're a douche.
caputo1989 said:
1. Head tube angle is too slack and wacks the geo.
Most 6" single crowns are the same height as 7" double crown forks. That means that the change in headangle is going to be about 1 degree from a standard 5" single crown, maybe a tiny bit more. Strike one.
2. too hevey
What the f**k is "hevey"?

According to weightweenies.starbike.com, a Z.1 FR is 2446g, a Z.150 is 3321g. A Boxxer is 2980g. A Fox 40 is 3084g. So, what does all of this prove? That's right, strike 2.
3. Too pink bikeish
4. looks gay
I'd comment on these, but I think they speak for themselves. You shouldn't make blanket generalizations, let alone ones based on sexual preference. It really demonstrates your IQ level.
5. makes the bike ride like sh**
Why, exactly, is that? Since most 6" single crowns are equal height to 7" double crowns, and people ride 6" single crowns on their hardtails all the time, what about the second crown is going to make "the bike ride like sh**"? And there you have it, folks, strike 3.

Thanks for playing, don't come again. If you're going to post, at least do it with a tiny bit of intelligence and knowledge rather than making yourself look like a complete fool.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Some of us actually like the challange of downhilling on a hard tail. As far as head angles, it depends on the frame. My banshee morphine will handle up to an 8" although I have a 66 7". a dual crown will stiffen it up some, but since this is also my trail bike i opted for a single. 243 makes some great frames that will handle 8"dc's. It is personal preference on weather you want to put yourself through the torture of mastering a hard tail. it can be a lot of fun for the right guy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just make sure the bike can handle the type of terrain a DC fork generally brings. Assuming you're talking about a DJ/freeride/DH hardtail frame and not an XC frame, I see no problem with it.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
thanks BV for bring some sense to this thread...DC forks on HT's are entirly possible just make sure you get the right frame to handle it....D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Caputo is gay.

I ride a .243 HT with a Boxxer up front. She rides like a dream. Yes you have to be smooooooth and I am using some WTB DH tires to avoid pinch flats as my local trails have some rocky sections with sharp rocks. My bike is so much fun. And my .243 looks anything but gay.

Do what you want, ride what you like. If it doesn't work, change it. If it works and you like it, stick with it.

Edit: And listen to BMXMan... not all HT's can handle a DC fork. Can't go wrong with a .243 though.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
some bikes were made to have tall forks on them, those bikes are ok, others were built around a 100mm fork, and those get messed up with dcs

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dirtjumpP.1 said:
some bikes were made to have tall forks on them, those bikes are ok, others were built around a 100mm fork, and those get messed up with dcs
They'd get messed up with single crowns, too, if the single crown is too tall for it. But most of those hardtails are going to have a steep headangle with a 100mm fork (since a lot of them are dirt jump or XC specific), so making the headangle a little more slack isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There are a lot of variables here. There is no blanket answer. But the fact of the matter is, (many) hardtails work with (many) dual crown forks. Reminding him about warrenty/breakage concerns and ensuring your geometry won't be whacked are completely different from a post like caputo's.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
i think if you are going big enough to need an dc on and ht then go for it...i just put a slider on my ht and its going to be killer....... if the ht is running a 69 degree head angle or less then why not run a dc. sometime you need just that extra inch in the front cause it all knees for the rear baby...i mean look at the imperial from evil you can run a modified moto fork on it and that bad boy is a mean all around machine...i guess don't knock it before you try it...

real hardcores ride a dc hartail down really steep ****ing crazy trails.

AN6

Jul 5, 2005
The dual crown fork is alot stiffer and will snap the headtube right off if it's not reinforced to compensate. there are some frames that are designed to be used with a dual crown fork.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
DC forks put alot of stress on headtubes. Most hardtails( I am talking about HT's meant for agressive riding, not talking about xc) can't handle that much stress/stiffness. SOme hardtails like one of banshee's can handle them.

I have an azonic evolution (meant for slalom/dj/street) and I have an '03 Marz dj II (5"). I do some freeriding on it (drops, big ruts, rocks, and am going to dh race it).

slo

Chimp
Jul 26, 2005
australia
dc's on my torrent are sweet, it rides like a dream. felt at home right away on it... dont ever listen to anyone who writes them off, dc's are hot...

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
how slack is too slack? i have a IH free ride hardtail. its damn burly with 1.5 steerer and all. Im thinking of going DC with it. its got a 69.5* sa and was stock with 120 mm fork. im thinking maybe a stance kingpin or jr t. I would raise the tubes up in the crowns a bit so the bars wont be up to my damn chin.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
DH bikes run around 65-66 normally and this would leave me to beleive you would be fine with a 6-7" fork up front, worked fine for my stinky which had about a 68-69 with a 5" fork and a 67 with a 7"