Quantcast

Hardtails

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
I have a Marin Hardtail Hawkhill SE. I was wondering if buying upgrades for hardtails worth it, as in to be a downhiller or a skilled XC rider with a hardtail, or should I just learn with the hardtail and later on buy a full-suspension (which I'll do anyways, but when I will is the question).

I just started biking a few months ago. I ride on local trails, The Pleasanton Ridge and Shadow Cliffs (which i add, is the most boring trail ever and has lots of stuff to pop your tires).

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
i would definetly upgrade the bike or if u get a new bike first, then when u replace parts that you dont like on the fs rig u can just put the old parts from your fs bike on the hardtail

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
With a hardtail you'll learn the essentials of riding such as picking proper lines, how to properly climb, and how the trail will affect your bike's performance. Once you get some of that down, going squishy will just make it a little easier for you.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yup, riding a hardtail will make you a much better overall rider than if you went directly to a full squish. If your going to buy a full suspension bike anyways, i would still upgrade the hardtail. You will be much more aware of what the back end is riding over and where you want to put the bike. basically what robdamanii said

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I did the same thing. I bought a really nice hardtail last year when I started riding seriously. I got really into it, riding a lot, picking up basic skills and learning about myself as a rider. I also upgraded the bike slowly and really researched what kind of dualie I wanted.

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
is it worth really upgrading much on the hardtail, or should i use it to learn the basics and techniques as it is, and later on just buy a nicer bike?

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
ya if there is parts u dont like upgrade if u have the cash
or if u dont have the cash upgrade anyways just kidding
"and yes any money spent on bikes is worth it"

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
if everything runs fine, like nothing broken, (i dont really have a preference on certain parts anyways)...then i should ride it out till they break?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
amhso said:
is it worth really upgrading much on the hardtail, or should i use it to learn the basics and techniques as it is, and later on just buy a nicer bike?
If the parts are not working for you (as they were NOT on my trek) replace them. Any upgraded parts can always go to your new dualie when you get one anyway.

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
amhso said:
if everything runs fine, like nothing broken, (i dont really have a preference on certain parts anyways)...then i should ride it out till they break?
yeah, at this point just run what you have. if something breaks or you start to realize a certain part is holding you back or just not performing that well then look into upgrading it.

H20bomberman

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
Asheville (Fairview), NC
I have been riding a hardtail for three years. All of my riding buddies have downhill bikes. I ride all of the trails they do but not as fast. I am getting a big bike Christmas. I will see if it improves your riding.

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I was on a herdtail for 4 or 5 years, until i bent the frame. I learned how to be alot smoother of a rider. My friend started on a fully, for the most part, and he isnt very smooth...not to dis him...i think ill have to learn him better. haha. you'll learn everything better on a hardtail...IMO.

well, goodluck with your choice.

peace,
jt.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have been riding a hardtail since early summer. I am much smoother. I can ride rocky downhill trails fine, just not as fast as my friends with full suspension bikes.

Riding a hardtail really teaches you how to handle your bike. When people start on a full suspension, in some cases, they make the bike's suspension do all the work; they don't move it around. A hardtail forces you to work.

You might as well upgrade to stronger/correct parts for the tarrain you ride. If you have weak parts that arn't meant for downhill they could break and you could have a bad day. Or they could be the wrong part for your riding style and hold you back.

Just sell the parts you don't like and buy the parts that you want used. Used parts are usually fine (make sure they say its fine in writing and see pictures), they usually may only have a few scratches or none at all. This way, you are nbot sepnding much money (if any)- basicly you would be trading in your old parts and getting used, but better parts.

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
livetheride514 said:
I was on a herdtail for 4 or 5 years, until i bent the frame. I learned how to be alot smoother of a rider. My friend started on a fully, for the most part, and he isnt very smooth...not to dis him...i think ill have to learn him better. haha. you'll learn everything better on a hardtail...IMO.

well, goodluck with your choice.

peace,
jt.
Heh, my frame has lifetime warranty. Well I'll take all of your advice and learn on the hardtail.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have to say that the only real reason I'm upgrading to a dualie is because I've been having and some back and other related problems from riding around on rough, techincal trails without any suspension in the back. I love my hardtail, though! I've upgraded it into the perfect bike, but now all those sweet components are going on a very sweet dualie frame!

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
What is this suspension you talk of?

Be a man and go rigid! click on the "see the flying munkee" link below to see what I mean

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
but what good does a hard fork do for you? It doesn't keep you on the ground as well....so why pay for it?

amhso

Chimp
Dec 13, 2005
do you think the marin hawkhill se's frame is strong enough for some freeride? I was thinking of saving up to switch the fork and rims and such to do some freeriding.

*edit* Clearance for bigger tires isn't possible, so maybe...light freeride? the biggest tire i can probably fit in the back is a 2.35. my front i can put way bigger.

*edit* nevermind about clearance...i can get 2.5's on both (front can even go 2.7 if i wanted too)

novarider

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Northern VA
that is exactly why i still have my 1994 cannondale killer v 2000 (a fully rigid bike) in addition to my 2003 jamis dakar xc comp (full suspension). any time i think i need to refresh some things, i put the jamis away for a few weeks and pull out the cdale.

robdamanii said:
With a hardtail you'll learn the essentials of riding such as picking proper lines, how to properly climb, and how the trail will affect your bike's performance. Once you get some of that down, going squishy will just make it a little easier for you.