Quantcast

Harley owners are getting on my nerves

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I agree with that philosophy, as well.

If I am going to the beach the only gear I wear is a helmet.
JUST a helmet? Must be a bitch grilling your exposed balls on that black vinyl seat after it's been baking in the sun.

I don't blink an eye at roadies descending through pea gravel at 40mph on 1" tires wearing nothing but a body speedo. I'm not gonna give a rider a hard time for a 25mph jaunt to the beach in shorts and flip flops.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't blink an eye at roadies descending through pea gravel at 40mph on 1" tires wearing nothing but a body speedo. I'm not gonna give a rider a hard time for a 25mph jaunt to the beach in shorts and flip flops.
Excellent point!

Perspective. It's an amazing thing sometimes. :thumb:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The funniest (pointless?) piece of gear is the fake ballistic vest. There is a squid at bike night every Thursday sporting one. Makes me laugh every time.

Board shorts, flip flops, and a spine protector is all I ever need. :panic:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You don't know that.

Rider went down on his own stupidity, possibly from noticing cop on side of the road.

Without a full face and heavy leather jacket, it would not have been pretty.
Yeah the jacket saved that guy a ton of hurt.... Which is why I will always have on at least jeans and some upper body leather, either a vest or a jacket. Not sure the FF really did to terribly much in that, didnt seem he was going all that fast

Disturbing

Only thing worse than a harley (and that awe-full noise they make from the jacked up timing of the cylinders firing) is a goon in shorts an a T shirt.

A family friend lost their son thanks to some retard not 10 minutes from his house. He was on a short trip, and didn't have enough gear on, and now he's gone. Also not the only harley related funeral I've been to.
What I am about to say will piss you off, but as a rider you should know this<not saying your a rider, but others are>

I know you cannot control everything, but by god you had better be on the lookout for yourself on the road.
Four basic rules to survive by,
1, When your on a motorcycle.... you are in fact invisible... Best invisibility cloak EVER
2, If someone can.... they will... IE, if they can pull if front of you, chances are they will,...... so prepare yourself
3, When riding, make sure there is always two ways out of danger should something go wrong.... IE dont trap yourself in a lane next to a wall...
4, You as the rider are the only one in the world responsible for your safety.

I dont know the situation with your friend, but its those quick jaunts to the store were riders forget about simple things like this, stop watching for what could go wrong and end up getting hit. Alot of times while yes indeed the rider is not at all at fault in anyway, the rider still could have avoided it 100%.

That all goes for when on the road bike too.

Gotta stay on your toes when riding, one way or another the car always wins.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Other than my skate shoes, that is my usual attire (jacket, jeans, gloves, full face lid). I have a very nice (but in need of replacement) Icon TiMax textile jacket that is all seasons.

When I first started riding I bought 3 jackets. 1 mesh, 1 leather, and my textile. The leather isn't perf'ed and hot as hell, I've worn it twice. The mesh feels like I am wearing a tank top for protection, wore it once. The Icon is perfect for just about everything but rain.
Seriously, one of the worst prolonged motorcycle related injuries was actually due to one of those Mesh jackets. As far as impact protection it did its job great..... but the mesh melted down into the skin across dudes right forearm. The damage from the melted mesh almost cost him his arm, many skingrafts, and a large portion of muscle had to be removed. He is now permantly handicapped from it

Why don't you just replace the pegs? Hate for you to injury your ankle over something a socket wrench could fix.
I am with Sanjuro.... get some new pegs even if it isnt your bike, keep the ones you take off handy, when the time comes.... put them back on and keep your new pegs. Alot of the after market pegs come without a peg mounts, making it so you can use the identical peg with multiple bikes, just grab the proper adapter and move them to the new bike later...

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
JUST a helmet? Must be a bitch grilling your exposed balls on that black vinyl seat after it's been baking in the sun.

I often think about how I push it on a bicycle versus my moto rides. But even I top 40mph, it is only for seconds, not even minutes.

Even on my moto jaunts around town, at any point, I could be on the highway doing 70.

And considering I have crashed over 30mph on my road bike, oh do I wish I was wearing full leathers that day.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On a road ride yesterday some dip**** on a Harley started to pass me then turned right into a parking lot. I was forced to turn right inside him, luckily there was a bit of room for me. When he realized what was happening he came to a stop. I just shook my head with a disappointed look on my face and pedaled around him.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Strangely Erotic?
Nothing strange about it, that's hawt!

On a side note, some asshat stole my helmet off my bike last night. Stupid Triumph doesn't have a helmet lock and I am too lazy to carry it inside. The gloves I could understand, but who would wear a 2XL lid with 30k miles of sweaty fat guy in the liner?

So now I get to roll hooligan in my Slayer dirt lid until I can acquire a new one. I have been looking for a new lid anyway, but still sucks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am with Sanjuro.... get some new pegs even if it isnt your bike, keep the ones you take off handy, when the time comes.... put them back on and keep your new pegs. Alot of the after market pegs come without a peg mounts, making it so you can use the identical peg with multiple bikes, just grab the proper adapter and move them to the new bike later...
The only replacement pegs I've found aren't much better, or even worse. My Vortex rearsets were like glue on the R1. Unlike the R1 (MANY rearset/peg options) there isn't a whole lot out there for the S3.

If you find some, let me know. I will spend some time looking today.