Quantcast

Harleys Suck!

loosecannon

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
San Diego
I want something like this (Buell XB motor), only faster.

[/QUOTE]

Badass, I've seen this pic before. I used to have an 06 xb12r with Drummer exhaust, airbox conversion w/ high flow K&N. Handled and sounded rediculous. Man I miss that bike.

...oh yeah and it was loud as f**k!

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Badass, I've seen this pic before. I used to have an 06 xb12r with Drummer exhaust, airbox conversion w/ high flow K&N. Handled and sounded rediculous. Man I miss that bike.

...oh yeah and it was loud as f**k!
Potroast88 has himself quite a nice Buell based chopper. That bike was built by Two Bit Choppers using the XB motor and the new Redneck Engineering frame. I want to keep the fuel injection and tune the piss out of it.

Big loud pieces of crap. Loud pipes my ass! Just another machine for foolish testosterone addled fools who need you to notice them on their loud expensive machines. Kind of like a ricer for the middle aged set. I love the springtime so I can open up my windows and hear these aZZholes going up and down the street. Phug them and their $30,000 Hey look at me machines. Just goddamn silly to spend that kind of money for a piece of junk.
I dont mind some of them.. its a handful of people that suck. I just moved from Charlotte beach right on lake. I wanted to trow nails outside on the street whenever one went past my place!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Don't worry they will fold soon. there market niche (fat, white collar, white dudes) is getting older & dying.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Doesn't get much more awesomer

Hope that $150 rear tire was worth showing that he was so awesomely cool.

The only folks that I hear keep touting the the whole "I'm loud so you know I'm there" stuff are the ones that just like obnoxiously loud bikes and think they need to validate it. If you like loud, obnoxious bikes... more power to you, but they don't make you any more noticed, except from or right beside.

Most motorcycle accidents happen when folks turn in front of the rider, and no amount of exhaust decibel is going to help the cager hear you coming up on them. Sound waves are headed mostly behind you, and the chances that they have: their windows up or music going, or cell phone to their ear, or yelling at their kid, etc etc.... your loud pipes do absolutely nada.

In my personal experience (in this area) there are two kinds of Harley riders. The old school guys who are friendly and wave and don't care what you ride... and the middle-aged, mid-life-crisis guys who mortgaged their house to get their chrome monster and who think they're better than everyone else on the road.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Do people really take out loans against their homes to buy those bikes, seriously ?
My uncles Fatboy cost $34,000. (used mind you it's an 05). I asked him how many pounds of weed he had to sell to get the down payment and he pointed his hand at me like a gun and said "bang bang" laughed and walked away.... I have never known him to have a "real" job. It's a well known fact that most of the weed sold in Western NY is sold by biker gangs (one percenters)... I am told that it's the same in Western PA too. Currently his gang the Kingsmen or the Outlaws (as they are known in PA) are having a war with the Hells Angels so he moved to CT, he left my Aunt behind in Buffalo because he is so cool.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My brother's panhead started as a $4000 basket case. I think he has a total of about $10k in it, but he has done all the work himself.

<edit> He doesn't sell weed, but he does charge as much as $400 an hour for tattoos and his shop in Santa Cruz has been crazy profitable.

Last edited:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
i challenge you to show me a study that demonstrates this to be true.

exactly...when I was in Cali I would get stopped at least once a month for my "loud" exhaust which was under 93dbs...but for some reason Harley riders get a free pass....there is absolutely no reason to have exhausts that loud...D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
There is also no reason to put a wing on the back of a front wheel drive car, yet there is no ticket for that, either.

Three wrongs do not make it right:
i don't know what is worse....the wing or those tail lights.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There is also no reason to put a wing on the back of a front wheel drive car, yet there is no ticket for that, either.
jimmydean,

with all respect, that's not a valid argument. unless you have a top fuel dragster or run skinny bias-ply retro tires your car is likely not traction limited at highway speeds in a straight line. traction is instead limited in cornering. fwd, rwd, and awd cars alike may benefit from additional downforce at the rear, as it's not the driving wheels spinning from forward thrust that's the limiting factor.

that said, that wing is hideous, most likely generates a lot of drag and no downforce, and is a purely "stylistic" gesture.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
that said, that wing is hideous, most likely generates a lot of drag and no downforce, and is a purely "stylistic" gesture.
I'd say it looks like it generates roundabout 15-25 lbs of downforce. You'd just have to weigh it to confirm.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Someone needs to remind me again why wearing a giant chicken strip in your rear tire is cool?

It's not like you couldn't do that with any other bike out there.

1. Hold front brake
2. Wind up bike a little
3. release clutch while holding front brake
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I hate harleys. I hate how loud they are. They sound horrible.
My friend has a honda VTX whatever the hell it is. It's burly, super nice, huge motor, not too much money, and it's a honda.

That civic sucks. I hate those wings and those tail lights. THose potato cannon mufflers sound like crap too. Unless it's on one of the DOHC honda's or a WRX. I love the sound of the Subie's uncorked.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Did everyone wake up to some motorcycle guy banging their old lady in the front yard while she yanked on the throttle long enough to make sure to wake you up while she took a money shot from a 1%'er?

I don't ride a Harley, I ride a Ducati. I have loud enough pipes to make sure that people do see me, and don't pull into me from the side. People pulling out in front of me, or trying to merge into me, that's because assholes like some of you live in cages, drive cages, and think that the rest of us should conform to keep you happy.

Move out to the country, buy some noise canceling head phones, get a new girl after the 1%'er finishes plowing your current one up her back door while she screams out in pleasure about how the vibration of his bike gets her off better than you ever could, and try to find a new woman who is a deft mute.

Really, just get over yourself.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
^^^^Huh?

I don't mind the sound of a crotch rocket. I hate that loud crap a$$ sound of a harley.

I don't think moto guys should conform to us. But, i do think the majority of vehicles on the road are NOT moto's. So you moto guys should probably just conform and get used to paying more attention to the idiots out there on the road.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
That's a high quality rant by Dirt, IMO.

Honestly, I kinda like the sound of an uncorked HD. Sounds way better than any metric crusier any day. Of course, these guys don't realize that they are losing power by running 2" straight pipes. Oh well.

Only problem I have with HD is how archaic they are. If you look back to the 50's and earlier, HD's were a actually considered quite sporting. The venerable Sportster was the fastest production bike made for a while. It would be interesting to see what HD would look like today if the bikes they produced had actually evolved in the last 50-60 years.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
You know if you need to run your straight pipe bike, you should have to suffer the same way I have to with my MX bike, haul it out to the freeway and ride away, don't rev the thing up out side my house.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What is a deft mute there genius. A girl that's into guys with small dicks and digs Ducatis??
Girls who don't speak and can't hear. They're hot, and love all 4 of my inches like it was the last 4" on earth.

Mind you it takes some getting used to with them moaning with one hand while trying to give you a rusty trombone.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am picking up a 76 CB500T this weekend. Needs the carbs rebuilt, new tyres and maybe a good wash and wax. I am excited to go out and get my moto license. I had a dirtbike last summer to get used to just riding moto, and have played around on some larger bikes recently.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I never understood Harleys. Loud and slow and handles like an overweight drunken mule - WTF?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I hate harleys. I hate how loud they are. They sound horrible.
My friend has a honda VTX whatever the hell it is. It's burly, super nice, huge motor, not too much money, and it's a honda.

That civic sucks. I hate those wings and those tail lights. THose potato cannon mufflers sound like crap too. Unless it's on one of the DOHC honda's or a WRX. I love the sound of the Subie's uncorked.
So it's ok to have a ricer if you approve of the way it drifts through corners??? :disgust1:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
So it's ok to have a ricer if you approve of the way it drifts through corners??? :disgust1:
Just because i like import cars doesn't mean i like all of the ones with the huge wings and stupid tail lights. Those cars in that drift vid had ugly as eff wings. Not once did i say "these wings are awesome".

That whole video was about driver skill and car setup. Unfortunately i didn't search around youtube long enough to find mustangs and camaros drifting around. Would that have made you happy?:disgust1:

And yeah, i like some rice cars. But very few. You ever ridden in a tricked out STI? That wing sucks, but they are impressive as hell when you consider it's only 4 cylinders. Ever ridden in a honda civic hatchback that has an integra type R engine in it? Doesn't sound the best, but it hauls a$$ and handles like a go cart.

You can have an impressive honda civic, 69 camaro, 2009 charger, dodge ram, subaru STI, bimmer, whatever. I like all kinds of makes and models. Just because i like tons of different cars doesn't mean i like all of the half assed ghetto cars.

I've always been more about performance when it comes to cars. Not that gawdy clear taillight crap with body kits.