Quantcast

Harleys Suck!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I don't ride a Harley, I ride a Ducati. I have loud enough pipes to make sure that people do see me, and don't pull into me from the side. People pulling out in front of me, or trying to merge into me, that's because assholes like some of you live in cages, drive cages, and think that the rest of us should conform to keep you happy.
Ok, I have no idea what "pull into me from the side" is, but unless it's code from "ramming me from behind", I really hope you have additional plans for protection other than just loud pipes. For pretty much anything other than straight back behind you you're virtually silent until long after the chance to react to your loud pipes has passed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Guy down the road just got a HD F150 so he can tow his Harley to the beach. Someone should point out the transmission on his bike. I don't think he knows it can do more than just be reved while in neutral.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Guy down the road just got a HD F150 so he can tow his Harley to the beach. Someone should point out the transmission on his bike. I don't think he knows it can do more than just be reved while in neutral.
I bet he thinks it's an automatic like the truck.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
On my way home from my bike ride yesterday, i got stuck beside two of them on the freeway for about a minute. OMG! I don't know how they can handle that sound for extended amounts of time. I had my windows up and music going and couldn't even think while they were beside me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
On my way home from my bike ride yesterday, i got stuck beside two of them on the freeway for about a minute. OMG! I don't know how they can handle that sound for extended amounts of time. I had my windows up and music going and couldn't even think while they were beside me.

You weren't getting the prostate stimulation they were.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Ok, I have no idea what "pull into me from the side" is, but unless it's code from "ramming me from behind", I really hope you have additional plans for protection other than just loud pipes. For pretty much anything other than straight back behind you you're virtually silent until long after the chance to react to your loud pipes has passed.
My bike is loud enough you can hear me coming from a ways off.
I wear all the gear like a smart little ape, and I carry a hammer on my bike for extra warning, but honestly pulling in the clutch and revving it up real fast seems to get even the most oblivious's attention.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm thinking a horn is just too sensible?
It in no way says I am compensating for my shortcomings like wasting gas..

That and even the folks down the block sitting at the kitchen table know he's coming... That's very important. He is giving them enough time to get up and go to the parlor window safely so they can see him go by and note how cool he is....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
+1. for more on this: http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/loud_pipes_save_lives.asp

teh link said:
&#8230; back to my neighbor and his desire for loud pipes for "safety" reasons. If he wants louder pipes on his machine, more power to him, it's his bike, and I firmly believe in the principal[sic] "It's your bike, do what you want". As long as it's not an ear splitting, glass shattering roar, and he doesn't fire it up at 3AM and blast me out of bed, fine, have fun with it. He's young, it's his first bike and he's caught up in all that goes with that first chrome and steel love affair. And No, I don't think there's anything wrong with a nice set of well-tuned pipes, they can add that little something extra to a machine and will undoubtedly catch the occasional eye (or ear) as you go tooling down the roadway. But let's not kid ourselves that its anything other than an ego thing, plain and simple. Just be honest about it and quit trying to justify it.

&#8230; Now you may be thinking I have something personal against loud pipes, well let me disabuse you of that notion right here and now. I too happen to like a nice throaty exhaust note as evidenced by my little R600. Several years ago I put a 2-into-1 megaphone style exhaust on her as part of the process of setting her up for running the back roads and mountain passes. I love to "play" with the resonance it produces zipping though the twisties, and I admit that I did it 90% just for the way it enhances the machine's appearance and the way it sounds. The reduced weight and extra cornering clearance is just an added bonus, but I did it mostly for the sound, and looks, and I readily admit it. Its just plain cool!
http://personalpages.tds.net/~dsullivan/Articles/loudpipe.htm

link teh second said:
So what about loud pipes? The argument in favor of loud pipes is that because you can't avoid all the idiots out there, you are better off making a loud noise to force them to notice you. This is the secondary safety view. The question of why YOU haven't noticed THEM does not occur to this kind of person. This philosophy contradicts the nature of motorcycles, which excel at primary safety at the expense of secondary. We would therefore expect these people (who advocate loud pipes) also to prefer their bikes to lean in other ways towards the secondary safety philosophy. For example, they will be likely to choose motorcycles with unusually low riding positions, motorcycles which are unusually heavily built, motorcycles with poor brakes, cornering, and acceleration.

Is this what we find in practice?

Yes -- the loud pipes brigade has an unusually large proportion of Harley owners.

These people are philosophically ill-suited to motorcycling. They would be much better off in motor cars.
In fact, if you look at the riding position on a chopped Harley you will notice that it is the same position of body as a car driver -- feet forward, leaning back, hands up in front. And we also find that the Harley-owning loud pipes brigade rapidly stop riding their bikes as they get older, and take to driving around in pick-ups with the bike in the back.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
More noise=more horsepower. :0)
not necessarily true. noise is wasted energy and running an engine with a different backpressure than it was designed for can reduce power and torque.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
But it sounds cool.
And that's all I need beyond the anal vibrations.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
even more fun links:

motorcyclecruiser.com said:
Myth 2: Loud Pipes Save Lives

Yeah, there are a few situations—like where you are right next to a driver with his window down who is about the to change lanes—where full-time noise-makers might help a driver notice you, but all that noise directed rearward doesn't do much in the most common and much more dangerous conflict where a car turns in front of you. Maybe it's the fatigue caused by the noise, maybe it's the attitudes of riders who insist on making annoying noise, or perhaps loud bikes annoy enough drivers to make them aggressive. Whatever the reason, the research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes. If you really want to save lives, turn to a loud jacket or a bright helmet color, which have been proven to do the job. Or install a louder horn. Otherwise, just shut up.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/dangerous_motorcycle_safety_myths/index.html

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
I like Harleys, I don't own one and probably never will.
I find it humorous watching how many people, who have never even ridden a motorcycle before, start their midlife crisis and go out and buy a harley. Or the 40 year old guy/gal who just got their divorce finalized and has to buy a Harley to show the world something. Now all the sudden they wear there Harley clothes everywhere.
Cuz the image needs another fat, nerdy 40 year old dentist, manager or salesman buying a Harley.
I'm sorry if you resemble this comment, but a lot of my friends do.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Cuz the image needs another fat, nerdy 40 year old dentist, manager or salesman buying a Harley.
I'm sorry if you resemble this comment, but a lot of my friends do.
My brother makes A LOT of money off such people. If a doctor or lawyer want a bad ass tattoo to show off, they don't even flinch at $400 an hour for freehand work.

Sterno

Chimp
Aug 4, 2016
Some of you good good people forgot something very important barring meth trafficking etc.:
Harleys are built using ancient technique and it's even a thing in the scene NOT to have rear suspension, namely hard tails, wtf?
Then, no OHCSs, super low power/displacement ratios etc. etc. - and for that kind of junk they're charging ridiculous amounts of money. Quite awesome they get away with it.
Also, they're perfectly built for the silly US 65 mph speed limit. Well, serves them right, I guess.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Some of you good good people forgot something very important barring meth trafficking etc.:
Harleys are built using ancient technique and it's even a thing in the scene NOT to have rear suspension, namely hard tails, wtf?
Then, no OHCSs, super low power/displacement ratios etc. etc. - and for that kind of junk they're charging ridiculous amounts of money. Quite awesome they get away with it.
Also, they're perfectly built for the silly US 65 mph speed limit. Well, serves them right, I guess.
LOL, wut?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Hmmm old thread. My dad rides a Harley and has had several sportsters because he is short. In the early 70s he had a Kawasaki 500, my mom had a Honda 400, my older sister had a trail 90 and I had a trail 70. Dad is the only one who stuck with it, he alternates be tween boats and bikes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh jeez, this bump just reminded me that Sturgis must be coming up soon. They take over Jackhole on their way to and from SoCal. Noisy as fuck.
Have had the misfortune of being in Jackson during the annual fat white dude migration.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That alone would flavor your opinion of the town. Sounds like you came through in high season...you don't want to do that. best time here is Sept.-October to avoid crowds (and get primo bike conditions)