Quantcast

haro escape 8.2 question

• Last couple of days to enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you send your email by Moday, December 2nd.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
Okay.
I finally bought a frame.

I have started buying parts for it and run into a problem.

I talked to a mechanic one of my LBS's and she said that the headtube needed a 1 1/4" headset with reducers because it was a "wierd headtube". I kinda thought this was bull so I went and looked online and I saw that every year the escape 8.2 was made it had a 1 1/8" headset.

the wierd thing is she tried to fit a 1 1/8" headset into the tube and it would'nt
fit. I dont actually know because I am not a mechanic, but she said it wouldnt fit.

what is going on here and what headset should I buy?

thanks

happity

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
What do you mean by "wouldn't fit"? So far it sounds like your bike shop person doesn't seem to know anything, so I have a hard time believing it simply didn't fit. Was the headtube damaged, or what was going on?

happity

Chimp
Jun 14, 2009
the bike mechanic didnt actually really know what was going on.
she said it didnt fit in the headtube. the headtube isnt damaged.
I think it might be that the headtube needs a zero-stack headset instead
of a regular threadless.
I wish I could be of more help but the mechanic was pretty vague...
she said I should use a 1 1/4" headset with reducers but I know that every haro escape 8.2 was made with a 1 1/8"

thanks

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Yeah, it doesn't seem likely that any bike that isn't made by Cannondale has a 1 1/4" headtube. Sounds like it could be an internal headset.

Actually, I did a quick search and the original part spec on the 2005 was a 1 1/8" integrated FSA No. 11 ZS. So that's a zero stack like you thought. I'd try to find a shop that has one so you can try and fit it up to make sure; I'm not sure which model year yours was, but I'd be confident the headset systems were similar.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
My scott reflex was the same way when I built it up. I thought a regular headset cup would work but it was about 1/8" too small. I installed the FSA #11 Zero Stack and it worked great. Good luck on your build and be sure to post pics once you're done. We'd love to see your new bikey.