Quantcast

haro, giant, gary fisher?

Sep 26, 2005
Concord, CA
yesterday i was at a couple bike shops with my dad to get a chain for my bros bike. while we were there, i looked at some mountain bikes, and the ones that were in my price range were the giant stp (i thinks its the stp 2 , the one w/o discs, so i'd have to add those i guess), gary fisher mullet, haro 8.1. i was wondering if anybody has any input on if any of these are decent bikes and opinions about them? or should i just look around for a used bike?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I'd get a used bike. I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. I ended up with a Haro 8.1 and spent probably about $500 repairing and replacing parts on it.
Dont buy a bike without discs if you plan on upgrading, its often cheaper to spend the extra money initially and buy more to start with. Giant can get a set of disk brakes for much cheaper than you can.

phu-q

Chimp
Nov 13, 2006
s.fla, usa
my first post - my vote is for stp. that's how i roll! mine is an '06 that i got about a month ago as last years closeout. as far as i know, there was only ss or geared. mine's geared and from the way it looks, has the better spec of the two. what year is the giant you were looking at? i got the black to chocolate paint on mine, but was checking out the light blue stp available as frame only (for the low price of $300). if you're looking for inexpensive, also check into the specialized p-whatever (the singlespeed one), it's about $770. good luck with whatever choice you make

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
ide say get a 2007 stp complete they upgraded the fork and some other parts and dropped the price (all i know for a fact is they dropped the price lenosky told me about the parts) if u can get the frame hit it up with an argyle and some deity parts and some idustry nines. if you do that lock her up tight or she will be missing in the morning :evil thaughts: