Quantcast

Haro X3 Headset compatibility? (zero stack???)

BMRisko

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
TN
Sorry for the n00b question, but does anyone know what type of headset the Haro X3 uses (its a '03 if that metters). I am on the verge of ordering a FSA Pig DH pro, but I have read that it might take a zero stack headset? Can someone explain the differences to me between the 2 and if they are compatible.

Thanks...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nope, they're not compatible, and it's easy to tell the difference. The cups that hold the bearings actually fit inside the headtube in a Zero Stack headset. With a normal headset (such as a Pig DH Pro), the cups that hold the bearings reside on the top and the bottom of the headtube, and only a small metal "skirt" pushes into the headtube.

So, bearings above and below the headtube = normal headset. Bearings resting inside the headtube is a Zero Stack.

BMRisko

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
TN
binary visions said:
Nope, they're not compatible, and it's easy to tell the difference. The cups that hold the bearings actually fit inside the headtube in a Zero Stack headset. With a normal headset (such as a Pig DH Pro), the cups that hold the bearings reside on the top and the bottom of the headtube, and only a small metal "skirt" pushes into the headtube.

So, bearings above and below the headtube = normal headset. Bearings resting inside the headtube is a Zero Stack.
Alright, so an internal and zero stack are used to describe the same thing? I take it there is no way to change to a normal headset other than buying / making some spacers. Any suggestions for decent internal headsets? Right now I have an extremely worn out WTB Inner Peace and I'm getting eager to install my new Sherman Flick.

Thanks for the help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, technically "integrated" and "zero stack" are two different types of headsets, but I don't know of any manufacturer that makes bikes with integrated headsets anymore. What you have is a zero stack, though, Haro has that on a bunch of their bikes.

A company called BETD makes spacers to turn a zero stack headtube into a normal headtube. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that route, though, since it's just one more thing to creak and loosen.

I ran an FSA Orbit ZR on my Giant AC and was very happy with it.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=65&pid=190

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I ride an '04 x2 and have to run the zero stack too. I've heard that zero stack headsets aren't as strong, if thats true then why does haro make so many of their frames zero stack only?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
skurfer333 said:
I ride an '04 x2 and have to run the zero stack too. I've heard that zero stack headsets aren't as strong, if thats true then why does haro make so many of their frames zero stack only?
Not sure who told you that, but zero stack headsets are fine. They're about on par with any other headset. The only difference is that you can't get one of the super deep cup ones, like the King Steelset or that steel Pig that presses in 1".

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Not sure who told you that, but zero stack headsets are fine. They're about on par with any other headset. The only difference is that you can't get one of the super deep cup ones, like the King Steelset or that steel Pig that presses in 1".
BV:

If you used the BETD spacers you mentioned, then you could use a convetional headset, on a Zero Stack bike, right? Even one of those Pigs?

I have a Giant Trance 2, FWIW.

Thanks!