Quantcast

harrisonburg monkies? Where should mattoid go this fall?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
What is the riding like in/around harrisonburg. Any skateparks/Dirt Jumps? How is street riding there? DH trails? Bike shops? Anyone wanna take me on a tour of the riding spots for a day?

I got accepted as a transfer student to JMU and really cant make up my mind between jmu and my old school (radford). I'm going into my sophmore year and have no clue what my major will be or even what i am interested in persuing... im so wonderfully clueless. :rolleyes: I was really excited about going back to radford this fall but this seems like a good oportunity....

If anyone would like to shed some light on any of this for me feel free to chime in!

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
There seems to be too many bike shops (5) for an area the size of harrisonburg for the riding to suck. Looked like pretty good street when I was there a week or two ago and all the shops are mountain oriented. Right by WG ... too bad that place sucks now.

overbybars

Chimp
May 12, 2003
I've spent every part of 24 years in Harrisonburg, and the scene is great. You should call the Thomas or Tim at Shenadoah Bicycle Company, or do a google search on their web site. They have a calendar with all the events including the mt. bike festival, the 100 miler, the heehaw, the hoohaw, the six pack downhill series, and much more. These guys have been in it for the long hall, and they know what riding is about. Having a good time. By the way that number should still be 540-437-9000. Right now the Tour De Burg is going down. It's a stage race that inlcludes many sweet single track trail like boyscout.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Is there really any question? Radford vs. JMU?

I know they do a Wednesday (?) street ride, but call SBC to make sure. It might be a good time to hook up with the locals.

JKnowledge

Chimp
Jun 22, 2004
I spent 7 years at JMU. The single track there is smooth, fast, and long. SBC does alot of outreach for trail access issues, as well as organizing rides. The street riding in Harrisonburg is great, too. The campus itself has some of the best street riding in town. If you move to H-burg and need more technical stuff, Elizebeth's furnace is only an hour north on 81. IM me if you decide to go to JMU, and I'll give you my info, I'm in Winchester now, and still like to go down to Harrisonburg for a ride every now and then.

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Having gone to Radford and graduating from JMU, I'd say choose the latter. There are TONS of awesome trails in the area, and the scene is a good one. Urban assult on campus is cool...try screaming down the steps to the stadium if you get the chance, and the area in front of the library is nice as well.