Quantcast

Hartail MTB frames with a BMX BB - who makes em

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I have a Mosh BMX bike that I really don't ride and I was thinking of transferring some of the parts (bottom bracket, 3 piece cranks etc.) onto a MTB hardtail that features a BMX bottom bracket shell.

I know that DMR Trailstars come this way, but what are some other options I could consider, research, look to find used?

Trying to do this on the cheap if at all possible.

Thanks!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I had an old Norco 250 tha thad a BMX BB, and although I rode it as a trail bike... it was designed to be a dirtjumper. However this payed of on fast swooping corners b/c it stuck to eh corner like nothing else!!!

I had a large, and had to get a VERY long seatpost, but then again I'm 6' 1". I think some of their other hardtails (older ones - '02 ish) had this as well. You can pick them up for around $100

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
.243, Le Toy, Draco, I'm sure there's others out there. Best way to about it might be to take a look at unrealcycles.com, get an idea of what's out there with a BMX BB, then look around for used stuff.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you can more then likely convert those cranks to use a euro BB. then you can use any frame you want....

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
MMcG said:
Details please. :)
well what kind of cranks do you have? a lot of BMX cranks like profiles, FSA, Primo etc...have euro bottom bracket kits, as long as the company offers one, you can buy that and use your spindle and cranks on any frame.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Check out the On-One gimp, it has a BMX bottom bracket, and would probably be a nice transfer from a BMX to a mountain bike. www.unrealcycles.com lists this frame, and several others that would come with a bmx bottom bracket shell. Or check out www.teamplanetx.com, and e-mail them, because they have several different options that you might be interested in.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
If you're looking at DMR, check out the sidekick, Its a bit smaller, and more whip-able than the trailstar. The only place I know that sells these are go-ride.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
cranks are made up of cranks arms, a spindle and bearings that fit into cups. the cups fit into your frame. so more then likely, you can just get a euro BB and run your spindle and crank arms.

danscomp.com
albes.com

one of those could probably help you out.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Not saying it won't be possible to convert it, but here's something that you may want to look into before you get the parts. I'm running FSA X-Drives at the moment ( Euro BB), so this was something I thought of last night while repacking mine.
BMX BB = larger diameter. I'm pretty sure, at least on the FSA's, that they use a larger diameter BB spindle for the BMX cranks, than for the Euro BB. Not sure if other companies do this as well.So while you may be able to get the Euro cups for a 3-pc setup, you may have that larger spindle that won't allow bearings to fit between the spindle and BB cup, and cranks that are sized to fit that spindle. It may just be a factor of "enough room when it's a BMX BB, but a Euro BB runs out of available room". Somewhat similar to why bearings fail quicker of most ISIS setups.
I could be wrong, but it's something to think about if you haven't already