Quantcast

Has America 'lost' in Iraq?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The tie is Saddam's decade-long contacts with al-Qaida operatives, although there was no formal Al_Q presence in Iraq prior to the Collition Invasion.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
But N8, the United States has just as many, if not more ties with Al Q operatives. The US trained and financed them for years...so there's more faulty logic. I'm sorry, at some point people just have to accept that they're separate issues.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ridemonkey said:
But N8, the United States has just as many, if not more ties with Al Q operatives. The US trained and financed them for years...so there's more faulty logic. I'm sorry, at some point people just have to accept that they're separate issues.

If only Clinton hadn't been thinking with his little head, Al_Q would not be an issue today and perhaps one could argue that if Bin Ladin was eliminated back in the mid 90's, Iraq would not have been invaded in 2003.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Iraq has a really good chance of making it.

New constitution, elected government, trained security forces, and moderinzed infrastructure all contribute to a 'better than before' Iraq. And given the amount of oil in the country, they should be able to fully realize a better way of life in about 10 years hence.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If only Clinton hadn't been thinking with his little head, Al_Q would not be an issue today and perhaps one could argue that if Bin Ladin was eliminated back in the mid 90's, Iraq would not have been invaded in 2003.
Sorry, I don't buy that.

I'm willing to bet Bush would have found an excuse to get into Iraq one way or another. Iraq is not, and never has been about Al Queda.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ridemonkey said:
Sorry, I don't buy that.

I'm willing to bet Bush would have found an excuse to get into Iraq one way or another.

I think you are much mistaken. If 9/11 would have never happend, Saddam would still be in power and moving to develope nukes. Sure, we'd lob an occational cruise missile at his installations every now and again, but would not have invaded.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Ridemonkey said:
Sorry, I don't buy that.

I'm willing to bet Bush would have found an excuse to get into Iraq one way or another. Iraq is not, and never has been about Al Queda.

Nope if they would just come clean on it being about tidying up Shrub1 and Dickheads failure to finish the job in '91 I would be far less angry about their venal attempts to claim it as Al Queda or the "War on Terror"

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Echo said:
I suppose I should get in touch with reality and start parroting how well things are going over there, and how the insurgency is about to be defeated :thumb:
You can't say how things are going there. Most of the media (less fox) in a way wants bush to look bad. The only people who realy know how things are going in iraq are the iraqies and our troops.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I talked with a medic several months ago and according to him the majority of gun shot wounds were self inflicted. The kids are terrified and do not want to be there where anyone is a suspect. On the flip side the gung-ho Joes don't want them at their backs. He reported the first few but then realized he's ruining some poor kids life with a dishonorable discharge so he quit reporting them as self-inflicted because he would be screwing hundreds of kids. The medic also said he was mixing pharmaceutical "cocktails" (kinda like speed mixed with meth) so the overworked troops could stay on their toes for over 24 hrs at a time. Nothing like overworked teenagers with itchy trigger fingers on dope! Go Joe!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
TheMontashu said:
The only people who realy know how things are going in iraq are the iraqies and our troops.
Yeah, those reporters (imbedded or not) that are on location in Iraq... they have no idea what's going on.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
ohio said:
Yeah, those reporters (imbedded or not) that are on location in Iraq... they have no idea what's going on.

For the most part they don't. It's a fact the vast majority of reporters in Iraq never venture out the the "Green Zone"...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
For the most part they don't. It's a fact the vast majority of reporters in Iraq never venture out the the "Green Zone"...
That's alot closer than we are.

Let's admit: WE don't know what the f8ck is going on there.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
H8R said:
That's alot closer than we are.

Let's admit: WE don't know what the f8ck is going on there.

True, but I have numerous friends and fellow collogues who are either over there, or have been there, who do know what's up.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
N8 said:
I think you are much mistaken. If 9/11 would have never happend, Saddam would still be in power and moving to develope nukes. Sure, we'd lob an occational cruise missile at his installations every now and again, but would not have invaded.
Is it not true that Bush had already drawn up war plans for the invasion of Iraq pre-9/11? Have there not been many people who have come out of the administration saying Bush had a hard on for invading from day 1?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
True, but I have numerous friends and fellow collogues who are either over there, or have been there, who do know what's up.
I know, and none of them are reservists, right?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Changleen said:
Is it not true that Bush had already drawn up war plans for the invasion of Iraq pre-9/11? Have there not been many people who have come out of the administration saying Bush had a hard on for invading from day 1?
Did you know Cheney had energy meetings pre 9/11 which was kept private? I always wondered what was the topics of discussion...

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/05/11/court_backs_cheney_on_energy_meetings/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+National+News

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
N8 said:
Iraq has a really good chance of making it.

New constitution, elected government, trained security forces, and moderinzed infrastructure all contribute to a 'better than before' Iraq. And given the amount of oil in the country, they should be able to fully realize a better way of life in about 10 years hence.
Ya sure. Overlook the daily carbombings, destroyed infrastructure, lack of power or water, proliferance of weapons, attacks on civilians, threats and shroud of fear the people live under and you're all set.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Transcend said:
Ya sure. Overlook the daily carbombings, destroyed infrastructure, lack of power or water, proliferance of weapons, attacks on civilians, threats and shroud of fear the people live under and you're all set.

Wait....Are we talking about Oakland CA or Iraq?

:rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
U.S. Lowers Sights On What Can Be Achieved in Iraq
Administration Is Shedding 'Unreality' That Dominated Invasion, Official Says

By Robin Wright and Ellen Knickmeyer
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, August 14, 2005; Page A01

The Bush administration is significantly lowering expectations of what can be achieved in Iraq, recognizing that the United States will have to settle for far less progress than originally envisioned during the transition due to end in four months, according to U.S. officials in Washington and Baghdad.

More:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/13/AR2005081300853.html

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Silver said:
It says that if Iraq happens to be 1929 or 1987, you're ****ed unless you sold short...

Last I checked the market is at a higher value now than it was then so how is that even an argument?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
PonySoldier said:
Nope if they would just come clean on it being about tidying up Shrub1 and Dickheads failure to finish the job in '91 I would be far less angry about their venal attempts to claim it as Al Queda or the "War on Terror"

DO you know anything about history? We could not invade Iraq. The goal was to push the Iraqis out of Kuwait then go home. We did finish the job. You liberals don't really pay much attention to fact or use much reason do you?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
gschuette said:
DO you know anything about history? We could not invade Iraq. The goal was to push the Iraqis out of Kuwait then go home. We did finish the job. You liberals don't really pay much attention to fact or use much reason do you?
What makes you think PonySoldier is a liberal?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Dunno. He doesn't seem to pro-Bush here but I could be seeing this wrong. I don't come to the political forum unless I am bored. Maybe I mis-read his posts.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
gschuette said:
Last I checked the market is at a higher value now than it was then so how is that even an argument?
Because it's all about timing. Investing $10,000 at the peak in 1929 would have meant that after the crash (assuming you invested in an index fund, which wasn't around, but let's pretend it was) you had lost 83% of the value. (If you had stayed in to 1932, where the bottom was)

So, with your $1700 left over, assuming no taxes, no inflation, and an annualized return of 10%, you'd need to wait more than 17 years to recover your original investment. That's merely to break even. And it was worse, because there was another loss in value in 1937, I think, that would make the above rosy assumptions worse.

So, to sum up, timing is important. And we just took out a big loan and invested heavily in the market on October 23, 1929. Oops.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
gschuette said:

We did invade Iraq, my wife spent a fair amount of time in Iraq with 1st AD. Perhaps it is you who should read a bit more on history..The Shrub1 administration made some gross errors in judgement in thinking that the Iraqi populace was going to overthrow the Saddam regime. Most soldiers involved in the Gulf War that I have interacted with wanted to go to Bahgdad and close the deal then. I view the current Iraqi issue to simply be an extension of the 1st failed attempt. :monkey:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
PonySoldier said:
We did invade Iraq, my wife spent a fair amount of time in Iraq with 1st AD. Perhaps it is you who should read a bit more on history..The Shrub1 administration made some gross errors in judgement in thinking that the Iraqi populace was going to overthrow the Saddam regime. Most soldiers involved in the Gulf War that I have interacted with wanted to go to Bahgdad and close the deal then. I view the current Iraqi issue to simply be an extension of the 1st failed attempt. :monkey:

Agreed, Bush 1 should have ignored the cries of the left and driven straight to Bahgdad, imprisoned Saddam and set up a new governemt.

At least we'd have a 10+ year start on where we are now.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
N8 said:
Agreed, Bush 1 should have ignored the cries of the left and driven straight to Bahgdad, imprisoned Saddam and set up a new governemt.

We also have taken an additional 1800+ casualties because of this..I believe some of the cries to display leniency came from upper echelon Military People concerned that the coalition would splinter if the Westerners would drive on Bahgdad and overthrow an Arab government..

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
gschuette said:
Dunno. He doesn't seem to pro-Bush here but I could be seeing this wrong. I don't come to the political forum unless I am bored. Maybe I mis-read his posts.
You called me a liberal too without knowing a damn thing about me. Is everyone who isn't a warmongering Bush ass-kisser a liberal to you?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
PonySoldier said:
We also have taken an additional 1800+ casualties because of this..I believe some of the cries to display leniency came from upper echelon Military People concerned that the coalition would splinter if the Westerners would drive on Bahgdad and overthrow an Arab government..

I think it would have held together if it had come to it.

E

enkidu

N8 said:

Or even better had US CIA not trained and assisted 22 years old Saddam Husein in the attempt to assassinate then Iraqi Prime Minister Abd Qasim in 1959.

And Donald Rumsfield not fly to Baghdad to assure Saddam of continued US support in the Iranian war in December, 1983.

Yes, it would have been much better for the Iraqis above all and for the over 1850 dead American soldiers.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
N8 said:
I think it would have held together if it had come to it.
In hindsight it shouldn't have been a concern, Bahgdad was 90 miles away and the Iraqi military was done and the populace was far more sympathetic to having westerners on Iraqi soil then they currently are..The arab world in general would have been far more accepting then than now..

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
PonySoldier said:
In hindsight it shouldn't have been a concern, Bahgdad was 90 miles away and the Iraqi military was done and the populace was far more sympathetic to having westerners on Iraqi soil then they currently are..The arab world in general would have been far more accepting then than now..

Yep...

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
Echo said:
You called me a liberal too without knowing a damn thing about me. Is everyone who isn't a warmongering Bush ass-kisser a liberal to you?

Pretty much. If it offends you you could edit it out. :nuts: