Quantcast

Has anybody ever owned a pair of these before?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I have an office/field job where I need to look semi-professional on a daily basis but I need to be out on job sites etc.. trudging through mud and muck. I go though boots quickly because none seem to last. I really don't want to spend the $ on a pair like this but I was wondering if they're worth it.

Wolverine 1000 Mile

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Nope and don't think I ever will.

I wear a pair of these (mil spec of course). The chinese copies are crap. I destroy the heels pretty quick but my local cobbler charges me $30 to replace them.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
they are your feet. treat them with respect. my old man is in his mid 60's and has permanent nerve damage in his foot as a result of years of walking/standing on factory floors (engineering overseeing work, etc) and didn't always have decent shoes.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm pretty picky about boots since the good ones tend to be really heavy and it wrecks my knee after a few hours.
I spend all day on concrete so they need to be comfy.
I have a pair of Thoroughgoods now and love them. All leather, US made from US leather. $130.
They make double toe and steel toe for more harsh conditions too.

I was all ready to drop $300+ on a pair of Danners when I found these.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know a Danner rep came out to the armory when the switch to the new uniforms started and showed all the new mil spec gear. I've never owned a pair, but they looked incredible.

Not that you needed more options. :panic:

Boot lover here. I can see you want that heritage look while still being protected. All the boots listed are great but might make you look like a fool wearing steel toe 2 inch heel, 100 eye boots trying to look professional. TacticalTesticle doesn't look good with slacks.

Wolverine makes a great boot and the 1000 mile is a classic. Been in a pair for a year and they look good from office meetings to after hour drinks. Not the most comfortable if your were to stand all day but the leather takes a while to break in. They get a lot of compliments. USA made recraftable.

Red wing has a boot called the Iron Ranger that is a cap toe if you don't want the smoothed look. Tried some on and its the stiffness that turned me off but I'll eventually buy them when updating the wardrobe.
USA made recraftable.

Danner- I have the stumptown mountain light 821 for the fun and the mountaineering look has been hot since last winter. Everything you can expect from Danner. Made to survive like a cockroach light because of the neo sole. USA made recraftable.

My current additions-
Timberland Earthkeepers. Bought the original 6 inch last year and have been nothing but impressed with this boot. Wore if for work(office) but now getting relegated for outdoor beater work. Super light, the soles+liner are amazing and this boot has a broken in feel right out of the box. Made in china.

2.0 rugged. Bought these last week and Im typing in them as we speak. Super light, didn't have that broken in feel litlle tight around the ankles but the soles+liner are great. Wanted a moc toe and chose this over the Red Wing 875(Also a classic american boot). Made in china.

There is also a smooth toe in the Earthkeeper line that looks great and can be a cheaper sub for the 1000 mile.

Look sharp.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Unfortunately, with boots, you really get what you pay for. In the field, I wear Timberland Pro 6" steel toe boots, or my newer Carolina waterproof insulated 8" boots. I tend to spend all day in muck, rocks and uneven terrain, and with my A-line insoles in them I can be on my feet all day.

I've bought "cheap" boots, and they didn't last. Get good boots, expect to pay at least $100 for the boots.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I bought a pair of Redwings. They took a year to break in. Now that they have I will probably never own another pair. Keens were cool to, but the waterproof ability faded fast and my feet stank up the joint when I took them off.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
red wing gentleman traveler/beckman may be cheaper....same style of boot....you generally have to size down 1/2 a size i think.