Quantcast

Has anybody ever "relocated"?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I've spent some time recently sending my resume out and researching places to live.

Who here has made a major move in their life away from family and friends?

What did you find you liked and what did you find you disliked?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My furthest move has been the latest one, which was two towns over about a half hour away. Traumatic, man. There are a lot less good restaurants in my new town.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ding, ding, ding, that's me!

I quit my job and sold my house in San Diego where I had lived for about 16 years. I left my sister and her husband, and my brother and his wife. My husband and I came up here, bought a house, and got new jobs.

I'm really adventurous so I love finding all the new cool things about this place. There are new restaurants, bars, shops, trails, rivers, lakes, mtns.... My friends come up to visit now and have a place to stay!

If you don't like where you're at, change it. No guts, no glory.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stosh said:
I've spent some time recently sending my resume out and researching places to live.

Who here has made a major move in their life away from family and friends?

What did you find you liked and what did you find you disliked?
Yeah. I relocated to Colorado right after college. Family & friends all live in MI.

Liked: everything
Disliked: nothing

Actually, it'd be nice if my Mum lived out here too. But she comes out about 6-8 times per year, so it's kinda like she *does* live close. :thumb:

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm very close with my family and extended family. They all live on the east cost from NH to FL.

Thats the parts that will be the hardest.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMike said:
No-one really wants to hear my story again do they?
Is it worth hearing for a first time?

It actually may be a second time but I forget things....

J

JRB

stosh said:
I'm horribly self consumed, so you have probably told me, but I forgot. Care to tell it again???
You're on a roll today, Stanley. :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've done it TWICE.
:eviltongu ;)

After college, I moved from Philly, to San Fran.
It was a big deal, and it wasn't.

I didn't have a job, or a house to leave, but also I had NOTHING and was moving 3000 miles away to a place where I knew no one. I found a job, found a place to live, and then I found a wife. :thumb: ;)

7 year later, after having a nice rental place, a nice job, friends, and a wife... the wife wanted to up and move about 400 miles back to where she grew up; SoCal. She went down first and stayed with her mom for 4 months while she found a job, and I stayed with a friend and kept my job. Then, when she had a job, I left my job, moved down here and we got a month to month lease. Then we bought our first home, and 3-4 months later I found a job.

Now everything is sweet. We both have better jobs, we OWN a house, and I'm starting to make new friends.

I missed my wife a lot those 4 months we were apart, but at least one of us always had a job. :thumb:
Thank Gawd for SouthWest's cheap fares.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
I moved down to the deep south here about 12 years ago. It's OK, but I still haven't figured out why everyone back home thinks going south for the winter is such a big deal. It's not much warmer here. :confused:

Anyway, if you're thinking about moving from the area, make it a big change. Go somewhere that'll make the folks back home say"Damn, I wish I'd thought of that. That said, make sure you're moving for the right reasons.

The Cheese

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SuzyCreamcheese said:
I moved down to the deep south here about 12 years ago. It's OK, but I still haven't figured out why everyone back home thinks going south for the winter is such a big deal. It's not much warmer here. :confused:

Anyway, if you're thinking about moving from the area, make it a big change. Go somewhere that'll make the folks back home say"Damn, I wish I'd thought of that. That said, make sure you're moving for the right reasons.

The Cheese
What exactly are the right reasons?

I've grown up in this town and I need something different. I want to start a life elsewhere. Housing costs are outrageous around here too and the salary's aren't keeping up.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Stosh, the act of moving will always suck. You just need to make sure the reasons for the move are worth the effort. The wife and I quit jobs, sold our house and left our best friends to move to europe for a few years (my job). I've never regretted the decision as a whole because it was an amazing experience. Good friends and family will always stick with you anyway.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
stosh said:

I've grown up in this town and I need something different. I want to start a life elsewhere. Housing costs are outrageous around here too and the salary's aren't keeping up.
Uhm...the right reasons are one that you think through carefully, and don't do spur of the moment...

And the costs of living increasing without salaries keeping up...I think that's an everywhere kinda problem.

I "relocated" if you can call it that in HS to China and Japan - totally new cultures are definitely fun if you think you know when you have a return ticket - the culture shock in China was a bit hard as I'd not left home prior to that.
College was an East Coast thing (family/friends/upbringing out here on the West coast). That was really fun, and as much as I enjoy spending time with my family, I learned a lot about myself and independence being away from them.

I'm back in WA now, and tend to enjoy moving/shifting every couple of years...but haven't done a big move in some time. It's kinda getting to me, I want to see more places and spend more time in other areas.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I joined the military...which kind of encourages a nomadic lifestyle.
I grew up in upstate NY (21 years), then joined the AF, spent some time in Texas, got sent to Wyoming.
After 2 years in Wyoming, I had orders to England.
Arrived in England only to find out that they changed my orders to Germany. Had to make arrangements for Germany that day. It sucked because I didn't study German.
Lived for 4 years in Germany. Loved it.
Got out of the military, lived with my BF and his parents (thank you, parents!) for 6 months in Cincinnati, Ohio. Never knew where Ohio was before.
BF got a job in DC, was given a 2 weeks to find a place to live before starting work.
So, we are in DC now.
I imagine that we will be making at least one, if not two, more major moves in our life.

I think that the toughest part for me was getting oriented.

The people that you 'leave behind' will always have your phone number.
And...you get to meet a lot more new, interesting people. :thumb:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I've relocated quite a few times since graduating from college. Moved from Detroit to Southern Illinois, back to Detroit, then to Northern burbs of Chicago, then to Seattle, then a 1-1/2 month stint in Jersey, and now back to Seattle!!!!

I didn't really like the move to Southern Illinois because I was living in a po-dunk town, knew no one, and my job just wasn't interesting enough. Moving to Chicago wasn't bad at all. Close enough that I could still drive home to see the family. The big move was to come here to Seattle. I turned down 3 job opportunities out on the east coast to move closer to the mountains! My ex had a job, but I didn't when we came. It was hard moving so far away from my family....I am really close with my mom, step-dad, and 2 of my brothers, plus one my best friends had just moved back home :( But my mom comes to visit every 3-4 months so it's not quite so bad. I wish I could see my step-dad more though. Despite how much I miss them though I would be very hard pressed to live in the midwest again after living out here so it's a small sacrifice I have to make!

I'd say go for it though. If it's somewhere you really want to move it can be excited and a heck of a lot of fun finding new places to go and things to do! Not to mention new places to ride :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I moved from S.Florida to Denver.

I drove around the USA for three months checking out various places to move to and decided here.

It's difficult sometimes cuz of family. They're 2000 miles away. You'll make new friends and if you've got really close friends, you'll stay in touch.

There will never be an easier time than now -- whenever 'now' is.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I moved up to the Denver Area From Austin, Texas 8 Years ago.
At First I missed nothing. But as time went on, I started to miss my friends and family. Now, I just make a trip down to see my Friends and Family 2 times a year and get a fix of the "Austin Night Life" and I'm good til the next time. Mostly what I miss is my friends. Friends I went to High School With and some whom I went K-12 with and know me the best.
I have made alot new friends here in Colorado, but it's still not the same.
Never the less, Nothing but good things have come from that move and I love it in Colorado and I'll prolly never move back to Austin to live again.
My Friends come up to visit several times a year, So I still get to hang with them Fairly often!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I grew up in Maine, went to school on Vermont, moved to Boston and now live in upstate NY. I've been trying since my wife and I graduated college to get her to move out west. I just feel that's where I belong. But, we live about 20 mins. from her parents, and Boston is about as far away from them as she'll ever let herself get. I like them a lot, but it kinda sucks.

Go Stosh, get as far away from upstate NY as you can....for me!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I moved from NY to CT back in 2001 and overall I'd say it was a good thing. Even with all the crap that has happened to me personally I really do enjoy living in CT, and the future is looking good for me (well minus the divorce crap) and I've made many good friends.

Moving to CT also helped serve as a catalyst for my passion for riding and that has helped me out in so many ways it's hard to count them all.

Sometimes you gotta stick your neck out and take some risks right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SuzyCreamcheese said:
I still haven't figured out why everyone back home thinks going south for the winter is such a big deal. It's not much warmer here. :confused:
I don't know where "back home" is for you, but it sure as hell would be a lot warmer for me even moving halfway down the coast! It averages 20-30* higher in North Carolina where I'm looking at moving.

Jr_Bullit said:
And the costs of living increasing without salaries keeping up...I think that's an everywhere kinda problem.
I honestly believe it is particularly bad in the northeast. I'm relocating at the end of the summer and have looked into jobs and housing costs, and it's pretty clear to me that the housing costs in this area (NH) are disproportionately high when you compare it to the average salary.

Anyhow.. Stosh, I'm reading this thread with great interest since I'll be doing the same thing at the end of the summer! :)

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
stosh said:

My idea of the right reasons is to move because you want to live in a cool, fun place and you can't think of many reasons not to. I would say don't move somewhere just because you think you can someday buy a house there or the cost of living is less. Do it for the adventure. If you don't, you'll find yourself 2000 miles away living somewhere you don't love and no better off than if you'd stayed put.

The Cheese

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BV where in NC you trying to move to? You know Dell is opening up a new facility in Winston-Salem, its only 2 hours from the mountains and the cost of living is pretty low considering it is probably the fifth largest city in the state.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
biggins said:
BV where in NC you trying to move to? You know Dell is opening up a new facility in Winston-Salem, its only 2 hours from the mountains and the cost of living is pretty low considering it is probably the fifth largest city in the state.
is that megan black's Ass?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Meeee.
I grew up in Lima, Peru. at the age of 17 i decided i had to travel a bit, and somehow ended up going to college in NYC, then Alabama. first time living alone and etc.
worst mistake EVER.
NYC was neat, alabama was crapatastic.
after 4 gruesome years, fortunately its over for now, and am back (imagine how crapatastic AL has to be for me to say this).

morale of the story... changes might be good, but more important than the place you might be going to is the inmediate circle of people youll be surrounded by.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
The plan right now is to move to the Greenville area and get my butt back into school full time @ ECU, and my girlfriend is going to apply to the Brody School of Medicine.

After I get myself edumacated, a relocation somewhere inside the state - perhaps to a more mountainous area - may be in order.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
DHS said:
is that megan black's Ass?

nope, she e-dumped me in public in the "megan black to the front desk.." thread. Thats some girl that was walking down the street.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
binary visions said:
The plan right now is to move to the Greenville area and get my butt back into school full time @ ECU, and my girlfriend is going to apply to the Brody School of Medicine.

After I get myself edumacated, a relocation somewhere inside the state - perhaps to a more mountainous area - may be in order.
oh yeah, i remember that thread now. I hope you dig on riding street/parks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
oh yeah, i remember that thread now. I hope you dig on riding street/parks.
I'm sure I'll get used to it real quick ;)

It's not far from the outer banks, which I love, and I'm told there's some good kayaking around there. Besides, between going to school full time and working enough hours to pay for a place to live, bills, bike parts, etc., I figure most of my riding time will be relagated to weekends - and I don't mind roadtrips :D

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
probably a good chance you'll bumo into Mirra, a buddy of mines dad was the guy that built Mirras house. There is a huge street scene and park scene.

As far as the outerbanks, forget kayaking and take up surfing. The surf there is awesome as well as the fishing. There is nothing like owning a 4x4 and driving down the beach catching Blue fish when they run every year. Hand over fist and they are kinda like hooking into a torpedo. Lots of fun.

also windsurfing is huge there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
As far as the outerbanks, forget kayaking and take up surfing.
Actually, I meant that as two separate statements, as in: Greenville isn't far from the outer banks, which I love. I hear Greenville also has some good kayaking.

But yeah, definitly some good ocean fishing on the outer banks! I would love to try kite boarding as well.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you're not happy where you're at you probably won't be happy anywhere else either because happiness comes from within. I'm from NH, spent 5 yeas in CO for college, 10 in FL for gradual school, and now nearly 10 in SC for work. I'm content with my lot, but if I'd gone to UNH and now lived in or near my home town I'd probably be just as content with that.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
I moved from Oregon to Michigan, then from Michigan to NYC. Lots of convenience, but no tree-lined trails. That is what I miss most. But I really enjoy the fact that someone comes and picks up my dirty laundry, takes it away..and it comes back all clean and folded. And the bodega will deliver beer....mmmmmm.....beer.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I am officially the king of long distance relocation. COunting only the moves I remember (that is , discounting a few when I was baby), I've relocated from Vancouver to Phoenix, Phoenix back to Vancouver, then to the Gold Caost, Australia, then to New England. In each place I 've moved within the area too (at least twice). I plan on going back to Vancouver (or BC anyway) at some point in the next year. Along the way I've picked up three degrees, some job experience, a wife and a couple of kids. (Well, soon to be a couple.)

After a few moves you get it down to science, then to an art. Every move has its ups and downs, because everywhere you go offers good and bad. If you keep an open mind and a sense of adventure, you'll be fine. I always looked at it using a surfing metaphor - if you don't commit, it's gonna suck. Just like mountain biking, too. Surest way to bail (or have a generally bad experience) is to go half a**. It might be scary, but its generally worth it.

:dancing: :thumb:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
binary visions said:
I'm sure I'll get used to it real quick ;)

It's not far from the outer banks, which I love, and I'm told there's some good kayaking around there. Besides, between going to school full time and working enough hours to pay for a place to live, bills, bike parts, etc., I figure most of my riding time will be relagated to weekends - and I don't mind roadtrips :D

Awww man, you'll like the Greenville scene. We've talked about this before, though. There's outdoor activities galore.......and some killer singletrack and stunts just about 40 minutes away at Tar River. :thumb:

Plus, the barbeque is off the hook in that area. :oink:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
I don't know where "back home" is for you, but it sure as hell would be a lot warmer for me even moving halfway down the coast! It averages 20-30* higher in North Carolina where I'm looking at moving.

I honestly believe it is particularly bad in the northeast. I'm relocating at the end of the summer and have looked into jobs and housing costs, and it's pretty clear to me that the housing costs in this area (NH) are disproportionately high when you compare it to the average salary.

Anyhow.. Stosh, I'm reading this thread with great interest since I'll be doing the same thing at the end of the summer! :)
Yeah did you end up picking Greensboro?