Quantcast

Has anybody ever "relocated"?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I moved from Maui to Seattle to New York then back to Seattle. I hated leaving friends, but always made new ones. Got real confused w/ the is it pop or is it called soda thing. I'm glad I'm back in Seattle.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
SuzyCreamcheese said:
My idea of the right reasons is to move because you want to live in a cool, fun place and you can't think of many reasons not to. I would say don't move somewhere just because you think you can someday buy a house there or the cost of living is less. Do it for the adventure. If you don't, you'll find yourself 2000 miles away living somewhere you don't love and no better off than if you'd stayed put.

The Cheese
My mindset is a mix of both reasons.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
wooglin said:
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you're not happy where you're at you probably won't be happy anywhere else either because happiness comes from within. I'm from NH, spent 5 yeas in CO for college, 10 in FL for gradual school, and now nearly 10 in SC for work. I'm content with my lot, but if I'd gone to UNH and now lived in or near my home town I'd probably be just as content with that.
I'm happy where I live, I would love to live around if it weren't for the winters and seeing people from High School way to frequently.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Yer technical reading skills aren't exactly top-notch today, eh? :p

Ville. Greenville.
I wasn't reading I was remembering. I knew it was GreenSOMETHING from a month or so ago.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I did. Moved from St. Louis to Denver in 2000, back when internet startup companies were throwing money at everyone they could get. The company I came out for paid all of our moving expenses. The only thing that we miss are our families. When child #2 comes along, the call of Grandma may become too strong and we might move back.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
I did. Moved from St. Louis to Denver in 2000, back when internet startup companies were throwing money at everyone they could get. The company I came out for paid all of our moving expenses. The only thing that we miss are our families. When child #2 comes along, the call of Grandma may become too strong and we might move back.
Dude. It's *much* cheaper to simply fly Grandma out 8 times a year. :p

-S.S.-

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
pixelninja said:
Dude, you know you wanna move back to the Lou.

Ok, nobody wants to move there. I know I couldn't go back.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. I relocated to Colorado right after college. Family & friends all live in MI.

Liked: everything
Disliked: nothing

Actually, it'd be nice if my Mum lived out here too. But she comes out about 6-8 times per year, so it's kinda like she *does* live close. :thumb:

-S.S.-

Mama's boy...are you British or something? Mum...Arse...bad teeth...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
biggins said:
kayaking in g'vegas? like flatwater type stuff?
Greeneville NC - flat. Closest stuff is near Raleigh. Rain dependent and hog waste filled.
Greeneville SC - Excellent boating. Gnarrs nearby, Chattooga, etc.
OBX - good surf kayaking.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jdschall said:
Greeneville NC - flat. Closest stuff is near Raleigh. Rain dependent and hog waste filled.
Greeneville SC - Excellent boating. Gnarrs nearby, Chattooga, etc.
OBX - good surf kayaking.
ive got two words for ya, the narrows of the green river.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stoney98 said:
I'm actually looking at up and moving to NY. I'm done witht he Bay Area. Despite my relationships here, I need out. I don't want to go to socal, and I won't move anywhere near the hick belt, so NY it is.
Hopefully I can find a good job to move for.
This isn't one of those Biggins-type "I'm gonna move" threats, is it? :rolleyes: :D

-S.S.-

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
stoney98 said:
I'm actually looking at up and moving to NY. I'm done witht he Bay Area. Despite my relationships here, I need out. I don't want to go to socal, and I won't move anywhere near the hick belt, so NY it is.
Hopefully I can find a good job to move for.
Boston is also a place worth looking in your line of work. Top notch riding, as a side benefit.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I grew up in Syracuse, went to college in Vermont, spent a year in Orlando, then back to Syracuse. Last 4 years I lived in the Albany, NY area, and moved to Massachusetts back in December.

The actual event of moving really sucks, especially if you move yourself. It's easy to stay in touch with people these days: Cheap flights, IP telephones with unlimited calling for $20 a month, and email. I could probably be happy no matter where I lived, but I definitely plan on moving to Virginia or NC someday. It may not happen for a few years, but there's NFW I'll be shoveling snow and freezing when I'm retired. :blah:

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
stosh said:
I've spent some time recently sending my resume out and researching places to live.

Who here has made a major move in their life away from family and friends?

What did you find you liked and what did you find you disliked?
We moved from Seattle, to New Jersey, then back again. Does that count?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Five said:
I moved from Maui to Seattle to New York then back to Seattle. I hated leaving friends, but always made new ones. Got real confused w/ the is it pop or is it called soda thing. I'm glad I'm back in Seattle.
Your my friend!!! I think.... :think: