Quantcast

has anybody put a 150mm fork on a Blur TR?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
The Santa Cruz website only recommends a max of 140mm up front, but putting a 150mm fork on the bike could make it a lighter, lower, nimbler alternative to the Nomad. Anybody tried this?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
A buddy of mine has a Fox 36 lowered to 140 on his TRc and says it's perfect.

It's a bummer that there is no 140 option for the new Fox 34, and that (apparently) they can't be lowered due to new spring internals. That would be a perfect fork for that bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
A buddy of mine has a Fox 36 lowered to 140 on his TRc and says it's perfect.

It's a bummer that there is no 140 option for the new Fox 34, and that (apparently) they can't be lowered due to new spring internals. That would be a perfect fork for that bike.
If it's a fox air fork (or rokkshokkks for that matter) it can be lowered to whatever you want. Does that 34 come in an air version?

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Yes. I've been riding mine this way for more than a year now. It's super fun and I really like it. Caused the BB height to go up a bit, but I'm not too bothered. I'm running a RockShox Revelation WC w/ dual position air up front. Ask away if you gots any questions.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've got my TRc at 130 and can't find any reason to run it taller(yeah slacker is better right? not for me. My DH bike is at a 62* HA and I find the 68* on the TRC PLENTY stable for steep gnarly singletrack).
My friend had a Blur XC carbon with a fork at 150 which has now been dropped to 140. Clearly it's a much larger change, but I wasn't thrilled about the lax seatangle.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If it's a fox air fork (or rokkshokkks for that matter) it can be lowered to whatever you want. Does that 34 come in an air version?
I haven't tried it but the word from folks in the know is that the 34 has a newer air spring that can't be lowered. Could be wrong, and I'm not sure if that applies to all the new CTD stuff. Anyone else know?

Anyway I agree with you on the 10mm thing, especially on that particular (low) bike.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I haven't tried it but the word from folks in the know is that the 34 has a newer air spring that can't be lowered. Could be wrong, and I'm not sure if that applies to all the new CTD stuff. Anyone else know?
I have heard the same thing. It can't be lowered the way a Float fork has been done traditionally. Haven't had my hands on one yet but I will soon.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

Anyway I agree with you on the 10mm thing, especially on that particular (low) bike.
Specialized has a 150mm 34 on the Stumpy Evo for '13, so it's not impossible?

There's a thread on the other mtb board where I'm almost positive guys are lowering 34s to 150mm/140mm, I'll see if I can find it..

To the OP: Make sure you're looking at a2c heights when you're trying to figure out which fork to use, I believe a lowered 150mm 36 float will have a longer a2c then a 150mm revelation or 150mm 32.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Specialized has a 150mm 34 on the Stumpy Evo for '13, so it's not impossible?
No, not impossible, just not done the same way by adding a spacer on top of the negative spring. There were also some pre-CTD 34 forks (29" only I think) that could be lowered like a standard Float.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bringing this back to life with an update. I got a TR recently and it came with the stock 32 Float 130 (2013 with CTD). I pretty quickly realized that I wanted a little more travel in the front. Called Fox and they said that for some forks you can simply change the travel bumper ($2) but for others you need a new air shaft assembly ($50). Depends on your specific fork because apparently some of the OE stuff is different from aftermarket. I had to give them my serial number and we figured out that (go figure) I needed the new shaft assembly. Kinda steep at $5/mm but I did it anyway. Pretty easy swap and it seems to have extended the fork to 145mm static - I'm getting the full 140 mm travel but it stops 5mm short of fully bottoming against the crown, like it did at 130. Feels awesome and more balanced. Having a 32 at 140, I still think a 140 34 would be perfect for that bike, mainly for a little extra stiffness. YMMV...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
150mm Rev on my TRc, works beautifully. I'm not at all worried about the slight extra height.

HTA is 67.something or other. Obviously raised the BB slightly, and altered the STA as well.

Last edited:

tavaenga

Chimp
Dec 1, 2011
Scrublover I'm also running a 150mm Rev on my TRc, it's a 2013 solo air and it's very sweet. HA is 67.0 and I prefer the higher bb height as it helps in minimising frame hits, bike still corners well although I can't compare it as it has always been 150 mm.