Quantcast

Has anyone ever painted a rear shock spring?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I know conventional spray paint won't work because it's not flexible enough. I don't want to podercoat since that'll cost a lot.

Has anyone ever had a spring painted or know what kind of paint to use.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Rust-oleum spray paint works good. I have painted a couple springs with it. As long as you don't have any cables rubbing the painted spring, the paint should stay on fine. Make sure you clean the spring good before painting.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
RD3 said:
Rust-oleum spray paint works good. I have painted a couple springs with it. As long as you don't have any cables rubbing the painted spring, the paint should stay on fine. Make sure you clean the spring good before painting.
Is that just some regular outdoor spraypaint for metal??? Did it stick ok or would it chip as soon as you would maybe knock it around (like when you uninstall your shock).

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Its a ton more durable than krylon type spray paints. Its made to keep metal from rusting. You can usually buy it at wal-mart or hardware stores. It does not chip off. It might help if you scuff the spring with a sand paper or a scotch brite pad so the surface isn't as smooth so the paint will stick better.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
When you painted your springs, how did it look? Was is dull looking or half-decent?...Not that it's super important but just the same.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
You really can't even tell that they were spray painted, they look factory. If you are painting them black, get Rust-oleum gloss black. I didn't use any primer, Rust-oleum sticks really good, put several coats on, follow the directions on the can.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
If flexability is an issue then try spray paint for RC car bodies- it's meant to flex so it doesn't chip off the body when it flexes.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
zane said:
If flexability is an issue then try spray paint for RC car bodies- it's meant to flex so it doesn't chip off the body when it flexes.
Will it stick to the paint that's already on the coil? Plus, that RC car paint, is it also for metal?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
ChrisRobin said:
Will it stick to the paint that's already on the coil? Plus, that RC car paint, is it also for metal?
It's meant for lexan bodies, but it might work on metal. I've never done it though.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Somewhere on www.eastwood.com they sell paint specifically for car springs.
It's oil based and you're supposed to dip the spring in the paint.

If the object is too big for the can, you put a layer of paint over water in a container that is big enough (oil based paint floats over water), dip and hang to dry.

Auto manufacturers actually use huge tubs of water, with a few inches of oil based paint on top to coat big parts. Otherwise they would waste an obscene amount of paint. Not to mention the hazards of leaving giant containers of flamable liquid open.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Well i know you said you didnt want to, but powdercoating would be by far the best option. Ive seen a few springs that were powdercoated and they look sweet as hell when they are done. Not to mention powdercoating is crazily strong. Personally I think that would be the best way to go, but i dunno how much it would be. I dont see how it could be THAT much....

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Chris, how did you end up doing it, and how is it holding up?

My bike is black and silver, and I have a red spring too...it just kills the whole color theme.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
:D I like it red, but then I'd have to get a bunch of red parts for it. It will be much cheaper and easier to keep it black and silver/polished. Also, with the black main frame and polished swingarm, red would probably be too many colors and I have a silver super-t and EA70 for it (which should balance out the swingarm). I think my spring should be silver or light gray maybe.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well i know you said you didnt want to, but powdercoating would be by far the best option. Ive seen a few springs that were powdercoated and they look sweet as hell when they are done. Not to mention powdercoating is crazily strong. Personally I think that would be the best way to go, but i dunno how much it would be. I dont see how it could be THAT much....

I second this route. I just had my rear coil done by Steve at S&D powdercoating. Came out beautifully. I also had my front triangle, swingarm, and upper link plates pc'd. All high gloss white. The whole job ran me $140.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
With my fork lowers, silver (black stanchions) and polished swingarm, with the black main triangle what color should the spring be? Silver, Black?