Quantcast

Has Anyone filed for divorce without an attorney?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Get a lawyer.

A few years ago I got divorced, amicably I thought. (Turns out she had a boyfriend for over a year....duh...I had no idea.) Anyway, we didn't get one. We decided what propety and liability (debts) each of us would get, filed the paperwork ourselves, and went our seperate ways.

Two years later I get a collections notice for part of the debt that SHE was supposed to be responsible for. The conversation with the collections agency went like this:

Them, "You owe us $35k".
Me, "No, my ex wife does. She agreed to take on the debt (it was accrued from her education) in our divorce settlement."
Them, "The account is in your name."
Me, "But there is a legal document stating she will be responible for payments."
Them, "She isn't making payments. The account is in your name. The reports to Experian etc. are going against your credit. The lein will be put against your property and income. You are ultimately responsible for payment."
Me, "F#KC!"

Come to find out that they were right. I WAS responsible for it. Wha it comes down to is that spending a few hundered would have saved me $35k.

Get a lawyer.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Damn True
Get a lawyer.

A few years ago I got divorced, amicably I thought. (Turns out she had a boyfriend for over a year....duh...I had no idea.) Anyway, we didn't get one. We decided what propety and liability (debts) each of us would get, filed the paperwork ourselves, and went our seperate ways.

Two years later I get a collections notice for part of the debt that SHE was supposed to be responsible for. The conversation with the collections agency went like this:

Them, "You owe us $35k".
Me, "No, my ex wife does. She agreed to take on the debt (it was accrued from her education) in our divorce settlement."
Them, "The account is in your name."
Me, "But there is a legal document stating she will be responible for payments."
Them, "She isn't making payments. The account is in your name. The reports to Experian etc. are going against your credit. The lein will be put against your property and income. You are ultimately responsible for payment."
Me, "F#KC!"

Come to find out that they were right. I WAS responsible for it. Wha it comes down to is that spending a few hundered would have saved me $35k.

Get a lawyer.
:eek: That sucks True..........and thanks for your post.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Protect youself and get a lawyer, sorry to hear about the divorce, or is it a good thing?
My ex cheated on me with a co-worker and we had a really great house and two great sons together - so no it is not really a good thing.

We've been separated for a little bit longer than a year now and I need to get my arse in gear and file for divorce.

I suck at making these kind of tough decisions and not haveing tons of extra cash available to get a good lawyer prompted this thread.

So overall it is a crappy thing - but I gotta remain optimistic that the future holds something good for me down the trail a bit. I guess only time will tell though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Protect youself and get a lawyer, sorry to hear about the divorce, or is it a good thing?
My ex cheated on me with a co-worker and we had a really great house and two great sons together - so no it is not really a good thing.

We've been separated for a little bit longer than a year now and I need to get my arse in gear and file for divorce.

I suck at making these kind of tough decisions and not haveing tons of extra cash available to get a good lawyer prompted this thread.

So overall it is a crappy thing - but I gotta remain optimistic that the future holds something good for me down the trail a bit. I guess only time will tell.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
Ahhh HA! He is old. So.......... how would you prefer to off yourself? :D

-S.S.-
"Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but WE JUST GOT OUR ASSES KICKED."

Originally posted by DNA
This thread is SO BOOOOORRRRRING!

(Young Ones reference before anyone flames me for being insensitive to the thread).
Summer Vacation Episode! :D I've watched them all many times as a youngster.

Originally posted by MMcG
My ex cheated on me too, but unlike you we didn't have kids, just the opposite... miscarriage. After my dad's death, then the miscarriage, I kinda withdrew from life, so she split.

Anywho, just posted that so you didn't think you're alone in that BS. Sooner or later, everyone gets fvcked in some fashion.

Stay strong bro

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I filed with a paralegal. Two meetings, a quick court visit and that's it.

Of course, she later drug me into court trying to collect more child support - after the courts reviewed our situation she ended up getting LESS then we aggreed to without the courts involved.

So the divorce was simple, the following years of BS for custody, support, and visitation were lame.

Good luck.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by MMcG

So overall it is a crappy thing - but I gotta remain optimistic that the future holds something good for me down the trail a bit. I guess only time will tell.
That does suck:( But yes remain optimistic, it will all turn out great in the long run.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I got an invoice in the mail today from my lawyer for $190. Seems she had a court appearence where she got me the right to claim my daughter on my taxes... so it was a bit of good news where good news is far and few. The divorce and post divorce hassle has been goin on for 18+ months and counting... :dead:

I hear you about delaying the inevetable... its so much easier to do nothing than to do something.

Hope you get it worked out.

Jan 15, 2002
Suburban MA, USA
I did like 8 years ago. Ex had one though. It all seemed pretty straight forward. As long as you can agree on the settlement of assets it's not that bad. The issue comes when it's messy. If it comes down to it, one of my biking buddies is a good Divorce Lawyer, but unfortunately not cheap.

-Couch

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by CouchingTiger
I did like 8 years ago. Ex had one though. It all seemed pretty straight forward. As long as you can agree on the settlement of assets it's not that bad. The issue comes when it's messy. If it comes down to it, one of my biking buddies is a good Divorce Lawyer, but unfortunately not cheap.

-Couch
Pro Bono for a fellow NEMBA Member maybe? ;) :D

Hey it can't hurt to try right!? :)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Having kids involved and custody issues to negotiate ect I would think it would be very much in your best interest to have the best lawyer you can afford.

However, if your spouse isn't going to contest anything and she's agreeable to your proposals then possibly an arbitrator is the ticket.