Quantcast

Has anyone got a free Ipod/Flatscreen/etc from any of those sites?

Grimey2

Chimp
Feb 26, 2005
Are those links bogus? Can you actually get a free ipod? I know its a scam, but its sooo tempting. Can you *reverse scam* them?

here is the link to the one i'm thinking about free ipods *link deleted*

If this does work, I want to know how. I would like to make money giving stuff away.

Found a geek.com article seems to be down, here is the google cache

wired.com article, says its not a scam.

Has anyone got one yet? Or is it just a :nuts:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's legal and you can get one if you jump through every hoop just right. It may also take you damn near forever...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
you will get one if you whore yourself out and piss off everyone you know by spamming referral links everywhere, and signing up for offers that turn out to not be free after all. don't do it.

Grimey2

Chimp
Feb 26, 2005
i'm just wondering if information is that in demand, that the parent company makes enough off of 5peoples personal info to give away a $200 product

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Grimey2 said:
i'm just wondering if information is that in demand, that the parent company makes enough off of 5peoples personal info to give away a $200 product

they dont. its a scam. we used to run a similar thing in a music store i worked for. we offered free magazine subscriptions. what we didnt tell people was that their credit card information was taken, sent to the mag company and any other company that wanted their address. the mag company then was able to charge them for the magazines, and often times, would continually add charges to the card, even after you initially canceled the magazine. oftentimes they would continually bill for months, even years after the initial cancellation. these companies do the same. NOTHING IS EVER FREE.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
It's not free. You have to sign up for one of their "offers" which are not free. Then 5 of your friends have to sign up for one of their "offers", at which point you get your ipod.

I can't believe this doesn't fall under an illegal multi-level marketing scheme. by the time you're 10 levels into this scheme, 48 million people need to sign up for an offer.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Interesting way to sneak your spam on us, Grimey2 (your link has your account number in it). I've seen other people post the same oh-so-innocent question on other forum sites too. But since you are just asking the question to satisfy your curiosity, you won't mind if I delete your link...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
People who support these kind of retarded pyramid schemes piss me off.

Sure, you can get a free product. And in return for that, you get put on a dozen mailing lists, you get your friends and family put on those mailing lists, and the net result is that the company only has to give away a handful of these things due to the number of people who only jump through half the hoops, which means the company just gets a bunch of free mailing list addresses and one or two subscriptions.

Anyone who signs up for these stupid schemes deserves a huge :nuts: and a slap upside the head.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
it's not affecting you unless you sign up. so why get pissed off?
*sigh*

Haven't you people learned yet that I'm melodramatic in my posts? ;) :D

It doesn't really piss me off. Just bugs me that people think they can get something for nothing. There's always a price, and in this case, it's the person's family and friends who have to deal with the mailbox spam and subscription requests that they don't want, so that the person just might be able to accrue enough subscriptions to get their "free" toy.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well that's why you offer a g-mail account. Handlebarfsr's deal sounds a bit more shady than the Free___. the Blockbuster Online promotion is pretty sweet. still have a movie i 'rented' in November. truely, no late fees.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You know you can get an mp3 player from ebay for less than the cost of one of those "offers", and you don't have to sell out all your friends in the process. So what if it doesn't say iPod on it, it plays mp3 files.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
well that's why you offer a g-mail account. Handlebarfsr's deal sounds a bit more shady than the Free___. the Blockbuster Online promotion is pretty sweet. still have a movie i 'rented' in November. truely, no late fees.
So.. uhh.. what's your point again?

With Gmail, you pay by having a sidebar of stupid advertising. But at least I know it ends when I log out of my account, rather than following me to my mailbox. Blockbuster isn't free either.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
You know you can get an mp3 player from ebay for less than the cost of one of those "offers", and you don't have to sell out all your friends in the process. So what if it doesn't say iPod on it, it plays mp3 files.
3 words for ya...

"free"
and
"the Jonses"

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
binary visions said:
So.. uhh.. what's your point again?

With Gmail, you pay by having a sidebar of stupid advertising. But at least I know it ends when I log out of my account, rather than following me to my mailbox. Blockbuster isn't free either.
i don't know what you mean by "sidebar advertising", because RM has more advertising on a page than Gmail does.

the blockbuster promotion didn't cost me anything. i guess i'm special.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
the Inbred said:
i don't know what you mean by "sidebar advertising", because RM has more advertising on a page than Gmail does.

the blockbuster promotion didn't cost me anything. i guess i'm special.
Yep, Ridemonkey isn't free either. You pay for it with advertising.

I don't know anything about the Blockbuster promotion. Link?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Grimey2 said:
Think of it this way - companies can't legally send you spam email anymore unless you voluntarily give them information and agree to accept their spam. So - they need to datamine for your permission - giving things away is about the only way people will voluntarily hand over their email addresses, phone numbers, or personal information.

So - ya, in the end they do make money, because for every person who clicks that link and enters some of their personal information, they get that much more of a chance of selling you something worthless in the future.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
the Inbred said:
almost every one of the "free" promotions you have to sign up for (and your friends/family) require your credit card number, or require you to let them ship you something. either way, they then are able to bill you incessantly for their products.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
the Inbred said:
I saw on the news thet there is some fee in that deal, and BB has to now return some $$ to those they charged.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
oly said:
I saw on the news thet there is some fee in that deal, and BB has to now return some $$ to those they charged.
blockbuster actually has two programs. one is like netflix, where you get a set number of dvds out to you which you can keep for any length of time.

the other is like a traditional rental, only instead of late fees you get charged for the FULL PURCHASE PRICE of the movie after 7 days or somesuch. they got busted for advertising the second program as having "no late fees" :nuts: