Quantcast

Has anyone here spent a HS year abroad?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm really considering spending my Junior year of high school abroad. I don't know too much about the program, simply what I've read on sya.org. It seems like a cool idea, and I would love to see another part of the world from the inside. They offer school in China, Spain, Italy, and France. I think all those options sound good, but it's hard to tell without talking to someone who's actually done the program.

So, has anyone here spent a high school year abroad? How did you like it? Was it difficult to grow accustomed to the culture of another country?

Thanks for your help.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I have not spend much at all time abroad, but if I was a junior I personally would have wanted to wait to go in the middle of college, probably in the summer. College taught me a lot about weird/silly situations :busted:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
my girlfriend went to hs in belgium for a year.
she considered that one of the most rewarding experiences she´s had.
i went to college abroad for a while, it definately expands your horizons. a year is short enough to keep it interesting the whole time without homesickness kicking in.

alexis_dh´ recommended experience.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I looked into it for a while last year and thought about doing it for my senior year (before last year started). But I decided my M3 was more important of a financial endeavour than leaving friends and potentially throwing away all the hard work I've done in high school.

That being said, hopefully I can do a year or two of college abroad. :)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
we had some students that would do a year over here from other places...all the girls ended turning into nasty sluts that banged anything that would give 'em the option.......not that that helps your decision at all...just had bangin foreign sluts on my mind.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My sister went to Germany for 6 months her Junior or Senior year. The first 4 months she was with a wicked rich host family and loved it. The last 2 she was moved to another family because the first family were going on a long vacation. The second family was way poor and she hated it!

She did enjoy it looking back. So much so she went to work for the US Embassy her Junior year at UCSB (poli sci major). I forget the name of the school she went to while she was there, but she drank way more the second time. :D

In high school, we had 3 exchange students that developed drug habits and got deported (seperate cases).

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
stay home and f*ck sh*t up.. wait till after HS to go away, youll have more fun, and this way you can still "concentrate" on getting good grades

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Mxer, why would I stay home and "f*ck sh*t up?" I'm on a tight leash at home and I'm bored with my small town and its lack of anything new or excited, save for meth. I really want to travel and experience another part of the world, but I don't want to go with my family, either. I feel like it's time for me to start moving away from my family, and due to their tight leash, that's hard to do without totally leaving.

I'm not concerned about grades at all. I'm not having fun at home, it actually sucks, and I won't really miss out on any classes either.

I'm looking at Spain or Italy, but I'm definately open to other options. I've been looking at the SYA program, but are there any other options out there I should consider?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My sister did that. She went to France, since here career goal had to do with European economics. Years later, I'm sure she looks back on it as an excellent decision, since she's living in Europe and doing what she always wanted to do. Just pick someplace relevant to your goals rather than just "abroad".

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Best friend from HS spent the year after Sr. year in Norway, doing "post grad work" going to Norwegian HS (I never really understood why) but he loved it! His family hosted many exchange students, it was a great way to meet hot foreign chicas!

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
go. living overseas is fun.

adjusting to other cultures can be difficult, but it is rewarding. just remember the US is the US. other countries are different. they eat different food. they have different laws. different things are cool. they have different values. if you cant deal with "different", do yourself and others a favor and stay home.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
My dad kicked me out of the house and shipped my a$$ to singapore to Man me up for junior year. I lived in a crappy youth hostel but got to go to a bitchin school where I met expats from all over the world, got to go to Thailand, Malaysia, and Nepal. And I made it with chicks from Austrailia and Canada. If you got the opportunity DO IT. It made me mature up real quick.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Don't question it. Just do it. The only hard part might be choosing where to go.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I'm really considering spending my Junior year of high school abroad. I don't know too much about the program, simply what I've read on sya.org. It seems like a cool idea, and I would love to see another part of the world from the inside. They offer school in China, Spain, Italy, and France. I think all those options sound good, but it's hard to tell without talking to someone who's actually done the program.

So, has anyone here spent a high school year abroad? How did you like it? Was it difficult to grow accustomed to the culture of another country?

Thanks for your help.
My best friend in high school spent a year in France and she LOVED it - she learned a lot and made some great memories- I say go for it - it's an opportunity of a lifetime and you don't want to look back and regret not doing it.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Didn't do the program, though my parents were the host for a teenage girl. Granted, she was the daughter of my step-dad's long-time family friends, so both sides knew what to expect. What was cool was, not only did she learn about the US, we learned about her country (New Zealand). Not that we didn't learn anything from my step-dad, but you know, with progress and lotsa years later, things change.

Go, learn, enjoy, and have no regrets.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Best piece of advice that a buddy gave me: Watch out for the guy trailing you in Lithuania. He might have a knife. Oh, and despite what you think, trying to get into Belarus just for the hell of it, is a bad idea. B-A-D, bad.

Other than that, he said that the abroad experience was awesome. Oh, and hookers can be talked down in price in Belgium...Apparently, he found this out cause of a buddys' experience...yeah...sure...(He went to Ireland for a year, in between junior and senior year of college.)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would probably go to Spain, as my Spanish is decent, the town is sweet where the program is, and I like what I know of Spanish culture.

Italy is a close second.

I know zero French, and for this program you've gotta be in French II or higher, so that's out.

I think China would suck because I can't see picking up Chinese in a year.

I guess I've just gotta research a bit more and apply, thanks for all your help!

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
Mxer, why would I stay home and "f*ck sh*t up?" I'm on a tight leash at home and I'm bored with my small town and its lack of anything new or excited, save for meth. I really want to travel and experience another part of the world, but I don't want to go with my family, either. I feel like it's time for me to start moving away from my family, and due to their tight leash, that's hard to do without totally leaving.

I'm not concerned about grades at all. I'm not having fun at home, it actually sucks, and I won't really miss out on any classes either.

I'm looking at Spain or Italy, but I'm definately open to other options. I've been looking at the SYA program, but are there any other options out there I should consider?
the first part of my response was intended to be taken lightheartedly. I just know that.. going through a similar situation as you, it was much more important for me to stay at home to secure my future after HS. if you honestly feel and know that spending a whole year studying abroad wont jeopardize any of your future plans, and if your at home situation is that unbearable, then go for it, and best of luck to you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think it's looking like I'm going to Spain next year if everything goes OK.

MXer, no worries. I took it the wrong way. Credits won't be a problem. Now I just gotta see if there's riding and I'm all covered!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sweet! I'd be going to Zaragoza, has anyone been there? How close to the ocean and Pyrenees? Is there any DH/trail riding there?

Thanks!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
YESS, my cousins live in chilie and I'm going there
for my senior trip
Let me suggest the following packing list:
- condoms X 36
- spermicidal foam X 36
- One bottle Obsession
- American made man thongs
- The latest New Kids on the Block CD...

Take the rubbers, a revolving stock of fake ID's to avoid the paternity suits, and all the baby killing foam you can carry, and live for me, damn you.

Chile is the sh!t, but watch out for the home boys in the green ninja masks...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I PMed him yesterday.

Tattoo, if all goes well you may be living vicariously through my accounts next year. :D

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
One of my good friends is in Chile for this school year.

According to her mom, she is out drinking at the clubs basically every night until like 5 in the morning.