Quantcast

Has anyone used the 6 pawl DMR hubs?

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Im posting this in downhill, because of the higher traffic, and need an answer quick. Im looking to get a single speed hub and came across the DMR 6-pawl cassette type hub. Does anyone have on of these rear hubs? Hows the engagement? I dont want to drop the cash on another hadley just for SS. Any other good single speed hubs you guys can recommend?

Oct 9, 2006
I had the 9 speed version of that hub and had to replace the freehub body within a year of building up the wheel. If you want dedicated single speed there are plenty of options out there, especially if you dont mind using a freewheel.

WTB Laser disc single

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
These hubs just came out. DMR being a British company I would imagine the Brits would be more likely to have initial impressions than us Yanks.

Try asking on some British based sites.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I had the 9 speed version of that hub and had to replace the freehub body within a year of building up the wheel. If you want dedicated single speed there are plenty of options out there, especially if you dont mind using a freewheel.

WTB Laser disc single
The reason im building a SS wheel is for greater lateral strength. This is for a dirt jump bike. Im used to my Hadley 108 engagement. WTB rear hubs have terrible engagement quickness, so those are ruled out.

What forums are in europe that I should try?

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Got this hub a couple weeks ago and built it up. So far, Im impressed, this hub is excellent. Smooth and decent engagement. I opted for the cassette type so I can run multiple gears.

Haybear

Chimp
Jun 2, 2007
San Diego
Just bought one of these myself. I am glad to hear that you are having a good experience. I haven't got ride it yet...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bought one of their front hubs last year. It's hard to F up a front hub. But...the flanges where to thick. The spokes physically wouldn't fit thru the holes without some serious metal work. Kinda disappointing.

Haybear

Chimp
Jun 2, 2007
San Diego
oh that stinks about the front hub. I had universal build mine up with the revolver up front, it seems to have gone together all right. But, who knows how much they wrestled with it. :think:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ive got it and its great. however the freehub body started to come off the axle part. not a huge deal because to fix it all i had to do was tighten the bolts up and it slide right on. i have the 14-135 singlespeed hub. worth getting for sure

Matt22inch

Chimp
Apr 28, 2009
FTL Ga.
Eastern makes a single speed hub. its flanges are spaced out wider for more strength and you can get it with a 1 or 2 piece driver. I have it with the 11 tooth cog( 2 piece) its pretty good. You jut have to stay on top of cleaning it and greasing it.