Quantcast

Has been asked before: 32h hub 28h rim - need to solve puzzle

bik3r

Chimp
Jan 5, 2016
Hi to all and lend me introduce myself.
My name is bik3r and I am a secret agent from Argentina.
Argentina, as you all know, is a screwed up, poor country.
So no Aston Martins there, we do our high speed car chases on bikes.
Yep, bikes.
Also, there is a general lack of spare parts thanks to the Venezuelaization of this land, something that occurred for the last 12 years.
This brings me to my current predicament:

I have a 32 hole hub and must lace it to a 28 hole rim.

I know is a silly idea.

I know I may face death. But hey, I am a secret agent, death is an occupational hazard to me.

I know many people are going to criticize me, suggest to buy the right rim or hub yada yada yada.

But I am looking for a BRIGHT, DARING and KNOWLEDGEABLE individual, who can actually help me in lacing that thing, and calculating spoke lengths also!

Are you up to the task???

If so, here are the details:

Rim Dahon Kinetix 20" 28h ERD 385mm
Hub Sun Ringle flip flop 32h OLD 112mm
Center to right side 25.7mm
Center to left side 25.7mm
Flange diameter hole to hole 45mm
Flange diameter overall 54mm
Spoke hole 2.5mm

I have searched all the internet, including this forum, and found a few vague suggestions and lots of critics. Critics not needed.

Some of the pages read suggest skipping two holes on one flange at opposite sides, and two holes on the other flange making a cross pattern.

A Japanese guy came up with a more interesting idea of skipping holes and lacing and posted the results in flckr with the title "
lace a wheel using 32H hub with 28H rim", please look for it.

In any of these cases I am a cube for calculations and need someone to help me with the pattern and the spoke lengths.

Just to be clear, and I do not wish to be rude or abrupt:

No need for criticism, negativity, suggestions to buy the right rim or hub, there is not such option in Argentina.

Lets get on with the job and do it. If someone can help me with the layout patter and the spoke lengths and were to put them that saves me hours of guessing and money too.

I will buy beers in Argie for anyone who helps and come over here.

Cheers and thanks!

Attachments

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
i'm guessing by the 20" rim that this is a BMX bike. Yes?
there is no way to do this short of skipping spokes, which will result in a weaker wheel. Even if the wheel won't see any abuse it isn't a great idea.