Quantcast

Has gas gone up this week?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As I was riding to work, I noticed the cheap gas station was $2.91 a gallon. I bought some earlier this week for about $2.71. Did it just go up?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I suspect that the knee jerk reaction to fiddle with the strategic reserves at the end of last summer after Katrina is catching up to us. I believe supplies are down right now. If the production side doesn't catch up I fear we may be in for even higher prices than those immediately post-Katrina.

Then I again I could be talking out my ass.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jdschall said:
I suspect that the knee jerk reaction to fiddle with the strategic reserves at the end of last summer after Katrina is catching up to us. I believe supplies are down right now. If the production side doesn't catch up I fear we may be in for even higher prices than those immediately post-Katrina.

seems like there are a million and one reasons for prices to go up, but nearly none for them to go down...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Hmmmm, that's just less money for me to contribute to george bush and his buddies...

yeah, right.

Does anybody, for a minute, think that this is completely supply and demand and not some complete screwing from the oil companies???

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Austin Bike said:
Hmmmm, that's just less money for me to contribute to george bush and his buddies...

yeah, right.

Does anybody, for a minute, think that this is completely supply and demand and not some complete screwing from the oil companies???
dry yr eyes, big boy. try living somewhere in europe.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
jdschall said:

i believe i read just a couple days ago that reserves were way up. or maybe that was production...highest since '98. either way, in theory, prices should be falling. but thanks to Iran and nucular weapons, they're on the rise.

that's what i think.

actually, what i think is that gas prices are super unstable, so any hint of bad news will cause a spike.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
They have gone up about 20 cents per gallon around here in the past week. I am more disappointed than I am pissed, because the only summer internship I could get that paid well is 35 miles each way, and even with my car getting 30 or so miles to the gallon I will be dropping a lot of the money that is supposed to go towards school and books on gas. Oh well, I guess there is nothing I can do.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Polandspring88 said:
They have gone up about 20 cents per gallon around here in the past week. I am more disappointed than I am pissed, because the only summer internship I could get that paid well is 35 miles each way, and even with my car getting 30 or so miles to the gallon I will be dropping a lot of the money that is supposed to go towards school and books on gas. Oh well, I guess there is nothing I can do.
if yr car gets 30 mpg and the drive is 35 miles each way, that's not a huge burden on you.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
he said it was $0.20 per gallon increase...given his car's efficiency, he uses 2.3 gallons per day for the 70 mile roundtrip. w/ that increase in gas prices, he's looking at not quite 50 cents more per day. i suggest you spend more time learning math.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
SWEET!!! I hope gas prices keep going up, mainly due to the "I'll endure some pain if I know that the other people on the road are feeling even more."

Every single person I've met is unhappy about gas prices. They'll b!tch and moan incessantly, then go out to their Excursion and drive 80mph on the highway. I had some time to kill on Sunday morning when I was driving from one family Easter gathering to another, so I set the cruise control to 5mph over the speed limit (70 in a 65, 60 in a 55), and counted people I passed. Think it was about 3 in a 1.5h trip (including the guy doing 20mph with his flashers on). If people are REALLY concerned about gas prices, they'd slow down a bit and get a lot better gas mileage.

Basically, I'm just laughing that people will gripe about the price but not do something as simple as slow down a bit to save gas. I also have to laugh at the people who get gas at one station when the one across the road is 5-10 cents cheaper. Same quality name (Shell vs Sunoco), yet people aren't bright enough to drive across the street to save themselves money.

J

JRB

dante said:
SWEET!!! I hope gas prices keep going up, mainly due to the "I'll endure some pain if I know that the other people on the road are feeling even more."

Every single person I've met is unhappy about gas prices. They'll b!tch and moan incessantly, then go out to their Excursion and drive 80mph on the highway. I had some time to kill on Sunday morning when I was driving from one family Easter gathering to another, so I set the cruise control to 5mph over the speed limit (70 in a 65, 60 in a 55), and counted people I passed. Think it was about 3 in a 1.5h trip (including the guy doing 20mph with his flashers on). If people are REALLY concerned about gas prices, they'd slow down a bit and get a lot better gas mileage.

Basically, I'm just laughing that people will gripe about the price but not do something as simple as slow down a bit to save gas. I also have to laugh at the people who get gas at one station when the one across the road is 5-10 cents cheaper. Same quality name (Shell vs Sunoco), yet people aren't bright enough to drive across the street to save themselves money.

I drove 70 - 75 to Dallas a while back and got 1 mpg better mileage. It made me a believer. I also plan to full the roof rack off of the Xterra, and only put it on if I have to pull the pop up camper (which I likely can't afford until gas goes down).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
narlus said:
he said it was $0.20 per gallon increase...given his car's efficiency, he uses 2.3 gallons per day for the 70 mile roundtrip. w/ that increase in gas prices, he's looking at not quite 50 cents more per day. i suggest you spend more time learning math.
damn right.
the price of gas in the US is almost negligible when compared against income. whats 2-3 bucks for driving 20 miles? 20 miles is a lot of driving for 2 bucks, specially when you consider other costs related to transportation (like devaluation of your car, or more trivial stuff like1 value per mile driven in 2k heated seats and etc, etc)

yet there is an obssesive behaviour on whether gas went up a dime or not, but at the same time, pickups and big ass truck sales are higher than cars.:dead:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
ALEXIS_DH said:
damn right.
the price of gas in the US is almost negligible when compared against income. whats 2-3 bucks for driving 20 miles? 20 miles is a lot of driving for 2 bucks, specially when you consider other costs related to transportation (like devaluation of your car, or more trivial stuff like1 value per mile driven in 2k heated seats and etc, etc)

yet there is an obssesive behaviour on whether gas went up a dime or not, but at the same time, pickups and big ass truck sales are higher than cars.:dead:
Depends on whose income you are talking about. Being a student and only employed for the summer I will spend about 1/10 of my pre-tax income on gas.

J

JRB

ALEXIS_DH said:
Gas hasn't gone up a dime. In the last 24 months it has gone up 200%. That is not negligible.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I bought a street bike last fall thinking I can use it for work and save a couple bucks..... I have put about $30.00 dollars of gas in the bike and only drove it to work two times...meanwhile I have had some good trips to a local forest..

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
loco said:
Gas hasn't gone up a dime. In the last 24 months it has gone up 200%. That is not negligible.
very true, as a percentage it's high, but as a $ figure, it's not that bad. I drive 25 miles each way to work, and figure on 25mpg just for simplicity. If gas goes from 2.50 up to 3.50, that's an extra $2/day, or $10/week. Is it noticeable? Yes. Is it crippling me financially? No. I'll be a little more careful about bringing food to work, and not getting $4 breakfast sandwiches. Even going places to ride, I'm much more pissed about the $16 in tolls I have to pay to drive 1.5 hours away to ride at Diablo than the extra $1 or $2 I'll be paying in gas.

In other news, every time I commute to work by bike I save $6. Kick ASS!