Quantcast

Has the "Thank you" wave gone away?

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Ok, it seems sometimes that society is just falling apart. No common courtesy for jack.. I mean hell we even have people starting threads to bitch about people that HOLD DOORS...

The way I measure it is by this simple test. If stuck in traffic and somone from a side street is trying to get in you let them.. then if the facker doesn't give you the "thank you wave" ram the fack outa em! God I have done this at least 12 times in the last week and maybe have gotten one "thank you wave"

Oh and got to love it when stuck in traffic no one lets you in... the are in a rush to move that couple of inches and attempt to stop that monster SUV before ramming the person in front of them

Jeezus is it that hard to wave to say thanks when someone lets you in? ARRGGGGG :angry:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I do get a kick out of when I put on my signal to move over, and some asswipe speeds up to block me. I just move over anyway :p

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by slcpunk21
Ok, it seems sometimes that society is just falling apart. No common courtesy for jack.. I mean hell we even have people starting threads to bitch about people that HOLD DOORS...

The way I measure it is by this simple test. If stuck in traffic and somone from a side street is trying to get in you let them.. then if the facker doesn't give you the "thank you wave" ram the fack outa em! God I have done this at least 12 times in the last week and maybe have gotten one "thank you wave"

Oh and got to love it when stuck in traffic no one lets you in... the are in a rush to move that couple of inches and attempt to stop that monster SUV before ramming the person in front of them

Jeezus is it that hard to wave to say thanks when someone lets you in? ARRGGGGG :angry:
:( Yeah, common courtesy in general seems to be fading. People give me funny looks when I nod at them when passing on the street or out for my run (either that or they just look at me funny in general :p ).

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Oh Oh Oh Oh just thougth of another one...

When I head out for rides I'm in the forest on a fire road trying to get to the trails and pass a hiker or another person in general moving in the opposing direction and as I get closer I notice one thing

they start to stair at the ground with a death stair being they don't want to say hi.. WTF....

Isn't that the point of the forest to get away from all the angry people and enjoy life...I understand it's to get away from the normal world and people, but come on..... I mean I don't expect an hour long BS session.. just a nod or at least freakin look up like you aren't affraid I'm going to maybe say something to you. :rolleyes:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
What I hate are the cheaters who speed by you in the emergency lane then try to inch in front of you. Over my dead body! Some dumb@ss eventually lets them in though.

Or the freaks who block the intersection when they are going through a red light and there isn't enough room for them past the light. You know they aren't going to make, they know they aren't going to make it, but they pull up anyway. Then you get to sit there while your light is green.

Idiots.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by HedgeHog
What I hate are the cheaters who speed by you in the emergency lane then try to inch in front of you. Over my dead body! Some dumb@ss eventually lets them in though.

Or the freaks who block the intersection when they are going through a red light and there isn't enough room for them past the light. You know they aren't going to make, they know they aren't going to make it, but they pull up anyway. Then you get to sit there while your light is green.

Idiots.
LOL, I was gonna say that it sounds like you live in Atlanta,when I looked over and saw that you do. LOL I want an ATL PD issued car tazer for those morons.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by stoney98
either that or they think you're hitting on them.
Well I suppose that could be...I hit on everyone :) It's my way of saying

Hellooo world....smile! :D (yes I'm a dork and I know it so just deal mmmk?)

Okay and back the weirdness of people and what's okay versus not okay...
It is not okay or appreciated to lean out your truck window honk the horn and yell "yeaaaah baby!!!" at anything moving on the sidewalk. It is also not okay to lean out your ricer window and yell at a girl driving her mother around town that you think she's "hot". :rolleyes: It is not okay, appreciated, or nice to slam on your brakes in heavy traffic when someone is trying to merge behind you and is trying to deal with the ahole that is trying to scoot up and prevent them from merging.
and if someone says hi to you and you don't wanna say hi back...rather than looking at the ground muttering and talking to yourself, at least look the person in the eyes and shove your finger up your nose or something so they at least know that you truly are an imbecile and not simply a stuttering fool.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
If we go through life expecting appreciation and gratitude for everything we do, we're bound to be disappointed. Some people say this view is pessimistic, but judging from the negative rants coming from this thread, I'd suggest otherwise.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by reflux
If we go through life expecting appreciation and gratitude for everything we do, we're bound to be disappointed. Some people say this view is pessimistic, but judging from the negative rants coming from this thread, I'd suggest otherwise.
No because sometimes when someone is actually nice in return it makes it all worthwhile....

Okay...let's all hold hands now and sing!!! :D

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
No because sometimes when someone is actually nice in return it makes it all worthwhile....

Okay...let's all hold hands now and sing!!! :D
Cue Steve Martin: If I had one wish, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in harmony.:D

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Originally posted by Echo
I do get a kick out of when I put on my signal to move over, and some asswipe speeds up to block me. I just move over anyway :p
So YOU'RE that guy! :angry:

Seriously though, I love cutting off SUVs that pull that on me in my little compact GTI. They just don't realize how much faster I am! :D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
NOBODY gets in front of me in traffic. We'll both end up upside down in a ditch before I let that happen. And I need to wear a special wrist brace now from giving the bird so often.

I don't get why people seem to think that their turn signal is somehow connected to my brake pedal.

And I completely take advantage of people who are too timid to close the door on me. If traffic is being narrowed down into one lane, I am the guy driving in the empty lane and getting over at the minute. There's ALWAYS someone asleep at the switch.

The trick is to NOT signal. If people know what you're up to, they get pissy and try to close the hole in traffic. It has to be a surprise. Pick your spot and then, WHAMMO jerk the wheel over and claim your spot. NEVER signal in these situations.

Now really....is anyone actually surprised by my saying this?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by quadricolour
So YOU'RE that guy! :angry:
:D the funny thing is, even though there was room before they sped up, and I use my turn signal, and they deliberately try to block, somehow I'm the asshole :D

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by MMike
NOBODY gets in front of me in traffic. We'll both end up upside down in a ditch before I let that happen. And I need to wear a special wrist brace now from giving the bird so often.

I don't get why people seem to think that their turn signal is somehow connected to my brake pedal.

And I completely take advantage of people who are too timid to close the door on me. If traffic is being narrowed down into one lane, I am the guy driving in the empty lane and getting over at the minute. There's ALWAYS someone asleep at the switch.

The trick is to NOT signal. If people know what you're up to, they get pissy and try to close the hole in traffic. It has to be a surprise. Pick your spot and then, WHAMMO jerk the wheel over and claim your spot. NEVER signal in these situations.

Nope...not at all...

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle

wow, someone pissed in your recovery drink today. Whats up with all the aggression and negativity today MMike?

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math

Right on MMike!! And how 'bout those folks merging on the on ramp that thinks that their yeild sign applies to me and think I should let them in front of me? Nevah!!

I drive very aggressively, and it works for me, although all of tulsa I'm sure thinks I'm an asshole.

and one other one is when traffic is moving, someone in the moving traffic stops to let someone on a side street into the flow. C'mon dipschit, be nice on your own time, not mine! :angry:

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
NOBODY gets in front of me in traffic. We'll both end up upside down in a ditch before I let that happen.
Ok, don't agree with that.. my SUV isn't bigger than most others..so therefor more damage to me :(

And I need to wear a special wrist brace now from giving the bird so often.
Agreed... to many arssholes out there, or maybe it's just me.

Again agreed... it's called MERGING...not "slam on your brakes as hard as you can and then accelerate in front of me... if you aren't gonna get up to speed get behind me or wait your GOD DAMN TURN.

So you're the guy I alwasy flip off and run into cones at this point huh?

Again agreed... with how aggresive it is out there now adays it's all about not letting others know..

Now really....is anyone actually surprised by my saying this? [/B][/QUOTE] No me..

My first post in here was not about merging.. but just coming off a side street from a stop sign into stopped traffic.. let em in.. who the hell cares.. it's a few feet that's it and it all comes back when someone lets you in on that day you are late.

But if we are doing 55 or faster don't expect me to hit my brakes to let your timid arss get in so you can slam on your brakes in front of me.. and then speed up.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
Right on MMike!! And how 'bout those folks merging on the on ramp that thinks that their yeild sign applies to me and think I should let them in front of me? Nevah!!

I drive very aggressively, and it works for me, although all of tulsa I'm sure thinks I'm an asshole.

and one other one is when traffic is moving, someone in the moving traffic stops to let someone on a side street into the flow. C'mon dipschit, be nice on your own time, not mine! :angry:
Hell yeah........

Being a Quebec drive in Washington state....like oil and water...

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by Cooter Brown

Well maybe if your arss woulda got let in in the first place your butt wouldn't be in so much of a rush in the first place.

I know I know.. you got that big ol truck and have to prove how BIG it is to everyone else.. I got it.. don't worry no body else know that in your language

TRUCK= Compensation for lack deick size.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by slcpunk21
Well maybe if your arss woulda got let in in the first place your butt wouldn't be in so much of a rush in the first place.

I know I know.. you got that big ol truck and have to prove how BIG it is to everyone else.. I got it.. don't worry no body else know that in your language

TRUCK= Compensation for lack deick size.
I drive a Honda Civic :rolleyes:

does that mean my root is overly large?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Yossarian
wow, someone pissed in your recovery drink today. Whats up with all the aggression and negativity today MMike?
SMidget accused him of becoming soft earlier today so he is just getting back to his roots.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Originally posted by reflux
Cue Steve Martin: If I had one wish, it would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in harmony.:D
I just got a vision of the old school Coke commercial:

"I wish I could buy the world a Coke"

*cue pan back over coastal cliffs to see millions of children holding hands and singing in harmony*

I try to be nice to folks, if they show me courtesty on the bike I'll wave or raise two fingers off of the bars in a semi-peace sign. In a car I drive defensively, not too agressive, but enough to show them I am there. Life is too short to worry about a-holes on the road, get over it and get on with life if someone pisses you off. Being a dick to someone because you think they purposefully cut you off doesn't do anything except make you look like an idiot and piss them off to the next person that tries to merge lanes....didn't y'all see "Pay it Forward"? Sheesh.

As for the real a-holes, I usually give them a big :thumb: and the goofiest, most idiotic grin I can think of....kind of a "Here's your sign" sketch.

The Ito

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I avoid I-5 as much as i can. It's amazing but people actually think that driving aggresively actually gets you somewhere amazingly faster. I'll let out a little secret, understanding the flow of traffic, by picking lanes that move faster due to lack of merging traffic will have the same effect. I wind up pulling right behind the idiot who cut everyone off to get to where i got, just by choosing the lanes correctly.... every time.....
Also there are ton's of slow slow drivers on the road, and some of em don't turn signal either, one of these days your number comes up.....

And there's alot of people on the road with kids in their cars...... not that that should really matter, but i alway realized that cars can kill people pretty easy since i never got to know my dad because an accident.

Traffic in Seattle is stupid as are most of the people as soon as they get behind the wheel, but it's alright, being aggravated in a moving box of death with wheels is a choice. You don't have to choose to not wave. On my reservation in a little town of Inchelium where alot of my family lives, everyone waves as you drive by.....

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
if you -- whomever you are -- are in a hurry, get a friggin' motorcycle. I shave 10 minutes off my 40 minute ride to work cuz of my bike. Yes, yes, somedays I commute on my pedals.

PS: Buy and ride a heavy motorcycle. My bike is huge and you jackwads who hate everyone are less likely to cut off a bike you know will fvck your car up than a 200# scooter :devil:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

you grew up in montreal? Are we supposed to be surprised?:o:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by Yossarian
LOL, I was gonna say that it sounds like you live in Atlanta,when I looked over and saw that you do. LOL I want an ATL PD issued car tazer for those morons.
I just want to start driving a cement mixer around. You block the intersection, you get driven over. Or maybe a huge snow plow, yeah, that'd work too. :devil:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Courtesy of all kinds is in such short supply when you live or work in a city. Everyone has to put on their urban-survival screwface. I much prefer now to live 45 minutes to an hour from both Baltimore and DC. I still don't know how I suffered living in them for so long. :o: