Quantcast

Has the USA become schizophrenic?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Don't get me wrong, this independent (registered as a democrat) is impressed with what they've accomplished and even tho I really dislike Bush, I think this Admin was/is right with what they're doing in general. With that disclaimer...

I'm concerned about the future. I don't think any presidency has ever made policy and taken action that will affect us far into the future. While I usually vote democrat or independent if they have a chance, I feel the need to vote for Bush because I'm concerned with an Admin change during such a volatile time. I think we (USA) have gone down an irreversible path and to attempt to change course would be more dangerous than to ride it out.

Should any one administration be allowed to take such actions that would obviously affect us far beyond their tenure? I know he got "approval" from congress last year, but what if a democrat gets elected and they decide to take a completely different course?

Calling N.Korea (for example) part of the Axis of Evil... well, how would NK (or anyone) feel if a new president (someday) decides to act differently.

Has the USA become schizophrenic?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I personally think that one aspect of the Spartan governemnt should be adopted in our own. Every elected official at the end of their term in office was put on trial and made to answer for their actions.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I personally think that one aspect of the Spartan governemnt should be adopted in our own. Every elected official at the end of their term in office was put on trial and made to answer for their actions.
I kinda like that one :)

Another idea I read way back when (maybe in a Heinlein book? Dunno...) was that you have one elected body that makes the laws. 2/3 required to pass a law.

At the same time, you have another elected body that strikes down laws. 1/3 needed to strike an existing law down. I'm not sure how well it would work in practice, but it sounds nice (then again, Marx sounds nice too.)

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
the UNITED STATES may be schizophrenic. obviousely there is something wrong with the governing system (the BRAIN) and the imbalances it is suffering from. positive thinking and the drive for money are also aggravating factors.

there is hope however. with drug therapy - let's say POT for instance - and counselling (the UN? CHINA?), the US could theoretical recover and lead the world to PEACE.

:devil:

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
what about wannabe AMERICANS? i left a piece of me in DALLAS. anybody know any monkeys from RICHARDSON BIKE SHOP?

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
i hung out in the back working on my bike for a few weeks while i was in DALLAS. that shop is huge!

the guys were very friendly.... i dunno, just miss 'em i guess.

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Thats because every elected official of the Spartan government was a general. Spartan civil law was rigidly defined, it was in military cases where differing opinions came into question.

A lot of these political schemes for balance seem fair on paper until you realize the nature of people. The Weimar constitution looked like an awesome system, but it sucked.

Large bureaucratic governments with extended power that deal with every aspect of life will always be "schizophrenic." As each office or region elects new officials, they have different ideals. Indivudals can always cause a certain radical idea to emerge with enough momentum. Most times these shifts are not greatly noticed becuase there is a balance of power between politcal groups, but there will always be laws and treaties made years ago, and times change. If government wasnt "schizophrenic" then we would still discriminate against the "bestial japanese and those damn negroes" (quote from FDR) But, look, one group is providing us with technology and the others have made varied achivements (and are not longer considered property, thats a plus) Such is the nature of a republic.