Quantcast

Has this ever happened to anyone (job related)?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I work in a department with three other people, consisting of my office mate (who's technically higher up than me) and her husband (who ran the dept. as my boss and has since left and been recently replaced). I applied for a new job elsewhere, went in for the interview (I was one of 10 people called back out of 100 applicants) and now, through the grapevine at work, have found out that my officemate is also in that top 10. Her husband (my old boss) is my main reference and I know he'd give me a glowing review. So, he now becomes a major conflict of interest.

I know there's not much I can do in this situation, but I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and how it turned out?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
do you have other references ? ( I hope you do )

how did you find out she was also one of the 10 candidates ?

in all likelyhood will she find out ?

and Are you coming to Monkeyfest part 2 ?
Damn, nothing but questions! haha...

I have 2 others references, but the husband is my strongest by far. One is hard to get ahold of and the other is an old contact

I pieced together a few things that were said and suspected she may have applied and then I overheard something she said about the place and waiting to hear back.

And, no, I can't make it unfortunatly. That weekend is tied up and my funds are really low :(

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Is there anyway you can tell the HR person you are interviewing with of your situation? It is quite odd.

I know how vauable references can be, but maybe there is a way they could call and get one from that husband person without giving him too much information on the job you are appling for?