Quantcast

Hatred for MTBs?

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Why is it that so many BMXers have a hatred toward MTBs? If I take my DS bike, to some local BMX trails or track they harass us to leave. I haven't tried to go to any skateparks yet, because I'm not in the mood to get yelled at by some punk kids.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I don't know. Just ride. If any of them seem friendly talk to them. Observe how things work, how people take turns, what lines they ride and don't do weird things getting in everyones way.

You should go try the skate park. In my experience people have been way nicer and more accepting of my mountainbikingness on the ramps.

D

Dinsy

I dunno, there was this guy down here who was really cool, we started chatting one day and swapped bikes at this park and rode like that for an hour, it was cool, I havn't seen him around in awhile though.

Jan 27, 2002
San Antonio, TX
My son races BMX here in San Antonio and there are usually always at least one "real bike" at the track. The last practice night, there was a Specialized big hit and a Giant AC at the track. No friction at all. We used to race in El Paso and same story there.
Many BMXers grow up to ride/race mountain bikes and there are some real BMX legends that now race maountain bikes... most o the serious BMX racers realize that and seem to respect the guys on the big bikes.
I think you have just run into a bunch of punks. Going and riding their track and trails and showing them up will probably only make them act more like jerks (jelousy).
There are a bunch of arrogant @$$holes in El Paso that ride freeride bikes up behind the University that behave the same way. If anyone that doesn't belong to their clique shows up, they will run them off.
Unfortunately the bike community is full of riders that love what they do, but hate all other disciplines. Me.... if it has two wheels and has pedals, "hey bro, let's ride!" Even lowriders are cool when you consider the work that it takes to build them.
Sorry for the rant.... you touched a nerve.

200xRyder

Chimp
Jun 27, 2002
TrikeRiders.com
I never understood that either. My Riding roots are in Dirtjumping and I still race BMX but mountain biking OWNS both those activites in ALL respects. Ive only been a serious mountain biker for a few years (3 or 4) but I was street riding at 6 years old. The best way to have them shutup is say "Ok, lemme use that little 20 incher for a sec", then proceed to whip out some 360's and wild tabletops..

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Originally posted by SwitchbladeWD
My son races BMX here in San Antonio and there are usually always at least one "real bike" at the track. The last practice night, there was a Specialized big hit and a Giant AC at the track. No friction at all. We used to race in El Paso and same story there.
Many BMXers grow up to ride/race mountain bikes and there are some real BMX legends that now race maountain bikes... most o the serious BMX racers realize that and seem to respect the guys on the big bikes.
I think you have just run into a bunch of punks. Going and riding their track and trails and showing them up will probably only make them act more like jerks (jelousy).
There are a bunch of arrogant @$$holes in El Paso that ride freeride bikes up behind the University that behave the same way. If anyone that doesn't belong to their clique shows up, they will run them off.
Unfortunately the bike community is full of riders that love what they do, but hate all other disciplines. Me.... if it has two wheels and has pedals, "hey bro, let's ride!" Even lowriders are cool when you consider the work that it takes to build them.
Sorry for the rant.... you touched a nerve.
It was a RM7 not a Giant AC;)

A

a13x

i notice that ppl who 'playah hate' are normally pretty moronic. they'll bust on someone on something different normally to compensate for their lack of skillz themselves. it's like high school mentalities.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Originally posted by a13x
i notice that ppl who 'playah hate' are normally pretty moronic. they'll bust on someone on something different normally to compensate for their lack of skillz themselves. it's like high school mentalities.
OOOO so true:thumb:

S

seth399

Originally posted by 200xRyder
I never understood that either. My Riding roots are in Dirtjumping and I still race BMX but mountain biking OWNS both those activites in ALL respects.
right.....that is totally not valid. Or are you just saying for YOU that you like mtb-ing better than bmx?

Yuppie

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Oliver, BC
The hatred they have is for Poserism (god I love making up new words).

There are a LOT of mountain bikers who are posers. Now, personally I dont care how expensive your bike is, but many BMXers have to scramble like hell for the $$ to buy a bmx. This means it REALLY pisses them off when they see someone with no skill who is a tool riding around their turf on a bike worth 6 or 7 times theirs.
Also, if they have built the trails etc, inexperienced mountain bikers can damage them, and have been known to file lawsuits for the most retarded reasons..... Of course they dont want you there.

Anyway, yes there are some cliques going on, but I think it is much worse in the MTB world than the BMX one.
Get out there, show them you can ride, be cool.... Just stay laid back, and dont draw attention to yourself. If you bust something big, dont warn anyone, just do it as if you do it all the time.

This reminds me, I should post a thread about getting me a new BMX....

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by Yuppie
The hatred they have is for Poserism (god I love making up new words).

There are a LOT of mountain bikers who are posers. Now, personally I dont care how expensive your bike is, but many BMXers have to scramble like hell for the $$ to buy a bmx. This means it REALLY pisses them off when they see someone with no skill who is a tool riding around their turf on a bike worth 6 or 7 times theirs.
Also, if they have built the trails etc, inexperienced mountain bikers can damage them, and have been known to file lawsuits for the most retarded reasons..... Of course they dont want you there.

Anyway, yes there are some cliques going on, but I think it is much worse in the MTB world than the BMX one.
Get out there, show them you can ride, be cool.... Just stay laid back, and dont draw attention to yourself. If you bust something big, dont warn anyone, just do it as if you do it all the time.

This reminds me, I should post a thread about getting me a new BMX....
I dont think many bmxers are too aware of how expensive, let me refrase that, ridicuously expensive mtbs are. And most of them don't care. This is why bmxers aren't too into mtbs at the trails (I am one, I think I would know;) ) We have to work our asses off to build up some nice trails, and then ppl who don't how to ride them mess them up. Also having your trails get crowded with shady people sucks. If you don't know how to ride the jumps, go build some smaller ones. There's also that thing when someone tells another person of some jumps, that person then tells someone else, etc. Pretty soon everyone knows about em, the city finds out, Bam! no more jumps. However many people sterrotype mtbers so you guys get a bad rap without getting to prove yourselfs worthy, oh well tomorrow you're homeless, tonigh it's a blast.

BUG

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
CoSprings, Colorado
If you honestly want your respect at the track and at the trails.....

BRING A SHOVEL!!!!!

I know that was my biggest gripe, I was always digging and some chump would show up and case every jump, never fix his chunks and leave weather it was an MTBer or BMXer. Now I do ride 20 and 26 so I've grown to love both, ya just need to respect everyone elses work. I now have a hatred for Mountain Boarders. They popped on the scene out there NO SHOVELS and ruined alot of good lines. Then they bring a shovel and modify all our jumps so they can hit them. Nothing in life is worse than a rythm section you can ride a snow board with wheels through.

It's no that hard to gain some respect, you just have to ride hard, respect everyone else, and give it time. All the true BMXer's are going to know exactly what you're doing.... They had to do the same thing to be accepted at all the skate parks not to long ago.

Yuppie

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
Oliver, BC
Originally posted by BUG
If you honestly want your respect at the track and at the trails.....

BRING A SHOVEL!!!!!

I know that was my biggest gripe, I was always digging and some chump would show up and case every jump, never fix his chunks and leave weather it was an MTBer or BMXer. Now I do ride 20 and 26 so I've grown to love both, ya just need to respect everyone elses work. I now have a hatred for Mountain Boarders. They popped on the scene out there NO SHOVELS and ruined alot of good lines. Then they bring a shovel and modify all our jumps so they can hit them. Nothing in life is worse than a rythm section you can ride a snow board with wheels through.

It's no that hard to gain some respect, you just have to ride hard, respect everyone else, and give it time. All the true BMXer's are going to know exactly what you're doing.... They had to do the same thing to be accepted at all the skate parks not to long ago.
Good points here.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
I love the "poser factor" comment. That's really funny.

I suck at street, and everyone assumes I have my bike set-up for it, AND I have pretty decent parts. So I guess I'm a poser, eh?

That's the attitude that ruins all types of biking.

Shmuck and BUG are right on the money here.

The real reason why there is often a developed animosity is that a majority of the physical labour that goes into creating some of these "OOOH so sweet" riding spots is performed by core BMXers.

They will spend countless hours perfecting a lip because they cannot simply launch themselves haphazardly off a structure...it is not safe or fun for them.. to enjoy airtime on a BMX it is earned...through sweat.

BUT .....
dont just roll up to the local DJ build spot with a shovel and start moving dirt...that will get you ostracized faster than spandex.

if you happen to a spot, talk to the locals, ask what you can do to help them build, listen to THEIR instructions, as it is their build.
This will earn their respect, as well as having mad skillz, everybody with skillz gets respect....

if you dont' like their attitude, find somewhere without BMXers to ride.....

BTW, I was a BMXer, for a really long time, (still have a bike), and now i ride a FS downhill bike....
I have no problems with ANY bmxers, or sk8rs for that matter...

sometimes it just takes a change of your own attitude....

fennell

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
boone nc
yup it is destroying stereotypes that will get us accepted, sadly most mtb'ers at trails still dont dig and tear up landings. thats why we arent liked but that is just the same as a bmxer who doesnt dig..... just respect peoples trails

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Maybe some lower impact tires at the trails?
Comming up with big ass knobbly tires can shread the trails to bits.

But, yeah:
Help dig.
And dig as much as you ride.
Otherwise, don't even show up.

Trails are a mother to build and maintain.

racerX

Chimp
Jan 20, 2002
Camas Valley, Oregon
what sucks is when you live in a community where all the riders ride BMX 5- 25+ yrs old, the skate park is setup for flat land and when you ride your 26" people, even your freinds that would otherwise give you props, segregate you and won't vid tape your 15 stair drop or the 20' gap you smash your rim on, or the nice no footer you pull out of your @ss off the solid cement 1/4 pipe. They hang in their clique and mock the plush travel of your suspension. whew! got that off my chest now I can go ride by myself on the DJ track that I built for my bike that are not "smooth" enough for litttle wheels.

even though no one responds I'm still here...... YELLING!

RacerX :devil:

JOhnG

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
DC
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk

I dont think many bmxers are too aware of how expensive, let me refrase that, ridicuously expensive mtbs are. And most of them don't care. This is why bmxers aren't too into mtbs at the trails (I am one, I think I would know;) ) We have to work our asses off to build up some nice trails, and then ppl who don't how to ride them mess them up. Also having your trails get crowded with shady people sucks. If you don't know how to ride the jumps, go build some smaller ones. There's also that thing when someone tells another person of some jumps, that person then tells someone else, etc. Pretty soon everyone knows about em, the city finds out, Bam! no more jumps. However many people sterrotype mtbers so you guys get a bad rap without getting to prove yourselfs worthy, oh well tomorrow you're homeless, tonigh it's a blast.
but it can go both ways. unfortionantly i go to school w/ a real asshole BMXer and one day he heard me and my MTB friends talk about the Djs we were building. needless to say he came out just bithched at us while we dug and than procedeed to destroy our last jump because he always baild and never fixed the landing. i'm not anti-BMX though, just anit-this one kid

northshorerat

Monkey
Oct 7, 2001
i had respect for the bmx scene when i was in it. but now the scene here is filled with nothing but idiots. you end up at 9th. street with big wheel and you get beat down. i tryed to get some local bmxers involved with our trails, they built with us one day and the next day we went down and all of our tools where gone. every single shovel we had was stolen. and for that i lost my respect. never saw the riders again.