Quantcast

Haulin' and Ballin'

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sandwich, here's what you are going to do.
1. Go to UHaul and have them install the hitch rack.
2. Go to [insert rack store, REI, etc] to purchase bike rack and storage box.
3. Mount it up and stop over analyzing isht.

The other option is to get a diaper bag with 5 diapers, 2-3 food items, 2 bottles, a change of clothes, 2 toys, and wipes. That doesn't take up much space. If you are going to visit family, you can do laundry there, so bring less clothes. Depending on the size of the baby, get a snap'n'go if they are in a carrier; fet a simple folding stroller if larger than that. You don't need a BOB while travelling. If are visiting grandparents, buy a pack and play to leave there.

We have a 2010 Subaru Forester. We can comfortably fit both of us with our shared suitcase, the baby and gear, and another passenger comfortably.

Your inability to pack light makes it clearly apparent that you and your wife have never gone backpacking.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We have a 2010 Subaru Forester. We can comfortably fit both of us with our shared suitcase, the baby and gear, and another passenger comfortably.

Your inability to pack light makes it clearly apparent that you and your wife have never gone backpacking.
No need to have backpack skills, look at the family cars of the 80s - a full sized car then would be considered small now. The Accord is huge now. The parents weren't any smarter they just didn't buy a bunch of useless crap.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The key to traveling light with babies is to not pack **** you can easily purchase at your destination. Why haul a Costco pack of diapers and wipes when you can buy them later.

Pack a folding stroller, throw a diaper or two in your pocket and change the **** pump on the Starbucks creamer bar using the napkins. Buy your coffee elsewhere.
This explains the burnt taste of their coffee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sandwich, here's what you are going to do.
1. Go to UHaul and have them install the hitch rack.
2. Go to [insert rack store, REI, etc] to purchase bike rack and storage box.
3. Mount it up and stop over analyzing isht.
that's what he should do. here's what he'll actually do:

1. Find a used hitch on craigslist
2. take it a local gas station that advertises it has a welder.
3. have them try to install it
4. the hitch will wind up welded to the gas tank because english is their third language
5. replace the gas tank at the dealer
6. have the dealer install roof cross bars because "hitches suck if they have to be welded to the gas tank"
7. buy roof racks for his bike
8. curse up a storm every time he has to load his bike on the roof
9. buy a roof cargo box
10. go to the in laws for thanksgiving (thanksgiving 2014, because we all know how long sandwich takes to make a decision), has to buy a roof cargo box. doesn't install it correctly, loses everything in it on the mass pike
11. swears like only a boston mick can when they get there and discover everything was lost
12. is finally fed up with roof rack. instead of having thanksgiving dinner, goes to walmart to have another hitch installed.
13. walmart miraculously installs it correctly
14. buys a hitch tray, some rubbermaid bins, and some bungee cords
15. has cold turkey sandwich for thanksgiving, while swearing about how the in-laws only have IPA to drink
16. finds out baby #2 is on the way
17. ghost rides the infiniti off a bridge
18. breaks down and buys a minivan

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ah, so what I SHOULD do is to buy a second stroller, buy a second pack and play, leave the breast pump at home, leave the cloth diapers at home, make sure that I know where there's a CVS every place that we travel (and will be open when we arrive), pack a single change of clothes for a week of traveling and just do laundry every day instead. Great! That's so much simpler than just having a little extra storage on the roof or hitch.

less than a pain in the ass than having basically the same thing on the roof of the car? :rofl:
pain in the ass to drive with and access the back of the car with, yes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah, so what I SHOULD do is to buy a second stroller, buy a second pack and play, leave the breast pump at home, leave the cloth diapers at home, make sure that I know where there's a CVS every place that we travel (and will be open when we arrive), pack a single change of clothes for a week of traveling and just do laundry every day instead. Great! That's so much simpler than just having a little extra storage on the roof or hitch.
get a bjorn and call it a day.

pain in the ass to drive with and access the back of the car with, yes.
not at all. my hitch rack tilts down and the hatch door can clear no problem.

if you think this kind of stuff is an actual pain, how do you get through daily life? is wiping your own behind difficult as well?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
What do you need a breast pump for? Wife leaving her tits on the dresser at home?

E: You don't even have the kid yet, right?
Put down the 'Babies R Us' pamphlet on "Ultimately Useless Primary colored chinese plastic crap your baby will die without" and go with flow when you have an actual kid to take care of.

Those fly covered african kids in the Sally Struthers commercials survive (for the most part) without that stuff so yours will be OK too.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
You forgot; Buys two other old sh1tty cars that he thinks will fill his needs, (trying to save money and he likes projects) before ending up at the mini van solution. Total spent: $150,000.

In all seriousness, I don't think you need a cargo box unless you ski/snowboard a lot or do a lot of camping. Save the money, buy an extra pack and play and leave it at the in-laws as previously stated.

Also, ***and this is key*** every woman thinks that they need the Bentley of baby strollers for this precious little being that they've brought into the world. Anything less is surely the sign of an inadequate mother. We had some expensive ass Eddie Bauer edition with the car seat that would clip onto the top...tons of storage etc. The thing sucked. It was heavy, took up tons of space and was a PITA to break down. Buy yourself one of those cheap ass strollers with the old school curved umbrella handles for $20. If you can convince her to use it once or twice, she wont turn back. They weigh about 3lbs, fold up super easy, and pack down to nothing. We were all raised in them and they work fine...if the kid douches it with some sort of bodily excrement, toss it and buy a new one. Also get an extra car seat or so for your in-laws and parents. Have them keep them (in their vehicles if possible), it saves a lot of aggravation.

That being said, I have the Yakima Hold Up and think it's a better choice than the Thule...I've never heard of one breaking.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What do you need a breast pump for? Wife leaving her tits on the dresser at home?

E: You don't even have the kid yet, right?
Put down the 'Babies R Us' pamphlet on "Ultimately Useless Primary colored chinese plastic crap your baby will die without" and go with flow when you have an actual kid to take care of.

Those fly covered african kids in the Sally Struthers commercials survive (for the most part) without that stuff so yours will be OK too.
JHFC maybe I'd like to help out with the feeding too, ever think of that? I'll just pack an extra set of tits for myself and we'll see how that works out. By three weeks you're supposed to mix bottle and breast, in order for the tyke to take both without issue.

None of you morons have even attempted to answer my question, aside from telling me I'm stupid for wanting a storage solution for my car, and that your bike rack is great. I really appreciate that. At least pegboy has the decency to make fun of me too.

Yes, I know hitch racks fold down. But did you know that none of the hitch storage solutions tilt unless you unload the unit first? Or spend $610 on a non-weather resistant foldout unit. Have any of you ever used a hitch mount cargo holder?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
JHFC maybe I'd like to help out with the feeding too, ever think of that? I'll just pack an extra set of tits for myself and we'll see how that works out. By three weeks you're supposed to mix bottle and breast, in order for the tyke to take both without issue.

None of you morons have even attempted to answer my question, aside from telling me I'm stupid for wanting a storage solution for my car, and that your bike rack is great. I really appreciate that. At least pegboy has the decency to make fun of me too.

Yes, I know hitch racks fold down. But did you know that none of the hitch storage solutions tilt unless you unload the unit first? Or spend $610 on a non-weather resistant foldout unit. Have any of you ever used a hitch mount cargo holder?
i got nipples focker, can you milk me?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

None of you morons have even attempted to answer my question, aside from telling me I'm stupid for wanting a storage solution for my car, and that your bike rack is great.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Babies... :cheers:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i find it funny you used to own a BMW RL but bitch about maintenance on VW/Audi....

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Also, ***and this is key*** every woman thinks that they need the Bentley of baby strollers for this precious little being that they've brought into the world. Anything less is surely the sign of an inadequate mother. We had some expensive ass Eddie Bauer edition with the car seat that would clip onto the top...tons of storage etc. The thing sucked. It was heavy, took up tons of space and was a PITA to break down. Buy yourself one of those cheap ass strollers with the old school curved umbrella handles for $20. If you can convince her to use it once or twice, she wont turn back. They weigh about 3lbs, fold up super easy, and pack down to nothing. We were all raised in them and they work fine...if the kid douches it with some sort of bodily excrement, toss it and buy a new one. Also get an extra car seat or so for your in-laws and parents. Have them keep them (in their vehicles if possible), it saves a lot of aggravation.
This.

1st kid = Some $200 POS with 4 cup holders that is the size of a smart car.
2nd kid = $20 umbrella stroller.

In all fairness, your question was answered on page one. Bikes go on the back and sh!t goes on top. You are industrious enough to put a DH bike together with $300 and some JB Weld. You can make that happen.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
as long as its not IPA, right?

i find it funny you used to own a BMW RL but bitch about maintenance on VW/Audi....
you must be an audi owner.

The RL was one of the least maintenance intensive bikes I've owned. Sure, it was a goober to take apart and put back together, but you didn't have to...unlike other bikes that I had to take a blowtorch to just to get the bearings out....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
This.

1st kid = Some $200 POS with 4 cup holders that is the size of a smart car.
2nd kid = $20 umbrella stroller.

In all fairness, your question was answered on page one. Bikes go on the back and sh!t goes on top. You are industrious enough to put a DH bike together with $300 and some JB Weld. You can make that happen.
welp, the stroller we picked out combines a car seat, car seat base, and stroller, so we don't have to rustle our baby every time we move her from the car seat to the stroller.

Yeah, that's the best solution, and it's the priciest. What if...and I'm just getting crazy here, there were a way to store both in the same location, since I don't need to use the same location at the same time (ie, bikes OR storage)? But yeah...I should probably buy a hitch, install it myself for less than you can buy one online since that's what you did on your camry, and then I should also buy a rooftop carrier, since that's the best idea, and I should probably also buy a hitch rack, since yours lowers automatically while it polishes your bike, and I should probably buy a subaru, and a cummings, and the taco is the best truck anyways, except for the one you had that rusted from the bottom out, but I'm an idiot because I shower and can't pack christmas presents into a 4x12" box.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
solution:

put the kid up for adoption and enjoy how your life used to be.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
welp, the stroller we picked out combines a car seat, car seat base, and stroller, so we don't have to rustle our baby every time we move her from the car seat to the stroller.

Yeah, that's the best solution, and it's the priciest. What if...and I'm just getting crazy here, there were a way to store both in the same location, since I don't need to use the same location at the same time (ie, bikes OR storage)? But yeah...I should probably buy a hitch, install it myself for less than you can buy one online since that's what you did on your camry, and then I should also buy a rooftop carrier, since that's the best idea, and I should probably also buy a hitch rack, since yours lowers automatically while it polishes your bike, and I should probably buy a subaru, and a cummings, and the taco is the best truck anyways, except for the one you had that rusted from the bottom out, but I'm an idiot because I shower and can't pack christmas presents into a 4x12" box.
sounds like the best solution is a van.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

Did we piss off Andy to the point that he just because PSP?

Da fuq did I just read?

Last edited: