Quantcast

Haulin' and Ballin'

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
welp, the stroller we picked out combines a car seat, car seat base, and stroller, so we don't have to rustle our baby every time we move her from the car seat to the stroller.

Yep, that is the exact type that we started with...

One thing to look out for if you go car top: My wife has a Mazda CX9 with the auto rear hatch opener. we put a Thule box on it for ski gear utilizing the factory cross bar/ roof rails. The box was not high enough and a little too long, so every time you opened the back hatch the plastic "spoiler" hit the bottom of the box. It threw the auto opener out of calibration which apparently costs big bucks to "re-calibrate". We were lucky that they decided to cover it under warranty but I will be looking for alternative options which will also probably include after market towers and bars. The vehicle is actually fairly tall so getting stuff in and out is a bit of a PITA...especially when the car is covered in winter road grime..

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
since I don't need to use the same location at the same time (ie, bikes OR storage)?
How sure are you about this? We don't go anywhere without bikes for the whole family and it has been this way since the kids were very young. That and I would rather pull my finger nails off than visit the inlaws without being able to get out for a ride.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
How sure are you about this? We don't go anywhere without bikes for the whole family and it has been this way since the kids were very young. That and I would rather pull my finger nails off than visit the inlaws without being able to get out for a ride.
He obviously needs to get a hitch, a 4-bike hitch rack, 86" Yak crossbars, a SkyBox 21, and a Yak gear basket.

Problem SOLVED.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pretty damn sure. There's no riding at the inlaws, and my relatives are far enough away that there won't be time for riding. It'll be either or for a while, and by the time a while is over, I'll probably be on to another car which will need its own hitch/etc., and then i can buy both.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ah, so what I SHOULD do is to buy a second stroller, buy a second pack and play, leave the breast pump at home, leave the cloth diapers at home, make sure that I know where there's a CVS every place that we travel (and will be open when we arrive), pack a single change of clothes for a week of traveling and just do laundry every day instead. Great! That's so much simpler than just having a little extra storage on the roof or hitch.
1. Just a cheap stroller is sufficient. If they are small enough to fit in a carrier still, get a Snap-n-go and a car seat the fits. Get mulitple bases and have one for each car plus one for the grand parents.

2. CVS Store locator; Walgreen's store locator

3. There are compact, travel friendly breast pumps available.

4. Re: cloth diapers - You aren't going to want to haul those around dirty, so see 'do laundry there'. We'll usually do laundry every other day while travelling. It sucks, but it's part of travelling light with the baby.

5. Your clothes - We can fit both of our clothes into a small luggage bag. Usually shorts and pants for me, and a few t-shirts, flip-flops, and a pair of shoes. You just need to work around the idea that putting in a little bit of work will make your travels much, much easier.

When they are small, you can actually travel relatively light. Just wait until they are big enough to need a proper seat and stroller.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
wait until they are kicking the back of your seat.....all the fvcking time.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
you need:

1) hitch rack.
roof racks suck after a while. mpg goes down, and its a pain in the ass to load/unload a heavy bike on a tall-ish suv. (i suffer a lot being 5´8" and loading my scott gambler on my santa fe).
and the you have the liability of a crash against your garage, or the bikes falling to the side, as thule 591 has a penchant for (seriously).

2) smallest stroller you can find. forget about the big fancy ones, portability is key when it comes to strollers.... both my sisters bought some really expensive and huge strollers, only to find they used the collapsible ones a whole lot more.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Easily solved (if you are tall) by sliding your seat back and pinning their legs.
Or my dad's technique of beating the sh1t out of you just enough* once that you know never to do it again.

*by 1980s standards. Not quite as extensive as 60's standards, but a whole lot better than the 2000's

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Or my dad's technique of beating the sh1t out of you just enough* once that you know never to do it again.

*by 1980s standards. Not quite as extensive as 60's standards, but a whole lot better than the 2000's
Today, anything more severe than texting your child and suggesting they modify their behavior is child abuse.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yep, that is the exact type that we started with...

One thing to look out for if you go car top: My wife has a Mazda CX9 with the auto rear hatch opener. we put a Thule box on it for ski gear utilizing the factory cross bar/ roof rails. The box was not high enough and a little too long, so every time you opened the back hatch the plastic "spoiler" hit the bottom of the box. It threw the auto opener out of calibration which apparently costs big bucks to "re-calibrate". We were lucky that they decided to cover it under warranty but I will be looking for alternative options which will also probably include after market towers and bars. The vehicle is actually fairly tall so getting stuff in and out is a bit of a PITA...especially when the car is covered in winter road grime..
I have a CX-9 and have both (roof rack from my Vue fit and my Sportworks hitch rack). We use the hitch rack for bikes since it's more fuel efficient and we have a Thule box for the top so we can actually carry 4 bikes and a ton of crap. I just have to remember not to use my auto open when the bikes are on there.

We bought the hitch from etrailer.com for about $140 and it took 20 minutes to install at home. Check around for a used box or bike racks for the roof and maybe you can get both.