Quantcast

Haulin' and Ballin'

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need a rack solution for my car. Subject is an infiniti FX35, or a faux-SUV-nigh-crossover thing. It's a great car, but it's time to stop trying to put bikes in the back. I have no hitch, and while I have roof rails, I have no crossbars. I have no rack components, currently.

Normally, there would be no question, and I'd spring for a hitch, and then a hitch-mounted dual bike rack. Due to impending baby arrival, however, I now need an alternative storage solution as well, like a roof carrier or hitch carrier.

Costs are about the same...it'll be around $370 for crossbars, and $200 for each bike rack. Roof carrier options are apparently limitless.

It's around 300-310 for a hitch installed. It's 440 for a dual bike hitch rack. The biggest question is what to do about storage. I can get a big bin setup for about $500. I can get a carrier and bag for a little less. The stuff that's going in there, however, is probably going to be baby stuff, so it has to be protected from snow, salt, and my car's dual exhaust.

What's the best option? It seems to me that a roof carrier is better for cargo, and a hitch is better for bikes, but I can't really shell out for both. The baby takes priority, but is there a good hitch cargo solution that I'm missing?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a hitch cargo box (google it) costs about the same as a roof one.

just a reminder - roof racks have a much greater impact on your cars fuel economy than a hitch rack solution. not to mention hitch racks are way easier to load. plus, if you ever get a boat...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The FX35 is a very tiny wagon for its size, put a hitch on it. If the hitch is too hard for you to put on yourself from etrailer.com/hitch-web.com/etc sometimes you could just pay a mechanic or I've heard even the uhaul can be convinced to do it for $50-60...

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Your hitch rack prices seem a bit high. You should be able to get a bolt on hitch for well under $200. You can also probably find a Thule T2 for around $360. Get that and troll Craigslist for used cross bars and cargo box.

Edit: You spelled bawling wrong.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Your hitch rack prices seem a bit high. You should be able to get a bolt on hitch for well under $200. You can also probably find a Thule T2 for around $360. Get that and troll Craigslist for used cross bars and cargo box.
Bingo. My total cost per car for hitch install was 200. If you are going on vacation with baby & bikes & "scthuff", I recommend the above set up - we do this with one of our Subies all the time.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hitch rack and done, and channel your inner European or Mexican and stuff all the baby stuff inside the car.
Muricans like to have a kid, and then all of a sudden they think they need a Suburban to carry around a baby stroller. Babies are tiny and awesome. They don't take up much space. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Edit: You spelled bawling wrong.
more win than i'm used to seeing here

Bingo. My total cost per car for hitch install was 200. If you are going on vacation with baby & bikes & "scthuff", I recommend the above set up - we do this with one of our Subies all the time.
yea i just noticed that too. My hitch install was only a little north of that (about $350) but i had a custom hitch made.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Like others have said, that sounds a little high for a hitch. Maybe because they're quoting you wiring hook ups for towing. If you're only going to haul bikes and not tow a trailer then you should be able to pick up a bolt on hitch at an auto parts store and install it yourself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Like others have said, that sounds a little high for a hitch. Maybe because they're quoting you wiring hook ups for towing. If you're only going to haul bikes and not tow a trailer then you should be able to pick up a bolt on hitch at an auto parts store and install it yourself.
he's asking us for advice, self-install is probably out of the question

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The FX35 is a very tiny wagon for its size,
Muricans like to have a kid, and then all of a sudden they think they need a Suburban to carry around a baby stroller. Babies are tiny and awesome. They don't take up much space. ;)
Stroller, packnplay, diaper bag(s), baby clothes, assorted baby entertainers, a bag or suitcase for each of us depending on length of stay...a spare carrier is definitely prudent. I don't think I need a u-haul trailer, mind you, but something to catch overflow WILL be needed. We usually pack the car to the brim every christmas, without a baby, and with the seats folded.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't think I need a u-haul trailer, mind you, but something to catch overflow WILL be needed. We usually pack the car to the brim every christmas, without a baby, and with the seats folded.
I meant uhaul sells and installs hitches too. If you ask the right way some will install ones bought elsewhere for $50 or so if its hitch-only (no wiring).

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you have to drop the exhaust to install a factory hitch, which is $350 from the dealer. About a 5-8hr job depending on the person and conditions (rusty bolts).

Uhual, and curt, and hidden hitch, all cost about $150. There's a step that requires you to use fishing line in order to line up a nut with a bolt which is inside the frame, as you reach up from underneath. I've spent enough time dicking around with audis that crinkling up my hand into contortionist like positions is now something I consider beneath me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stroller, packnplay, diaper bag(s), baby clothes, assorted baby entertainers, a bag or suitcase for each of us depending on length of stay...a spare carrier is definitely prudent. I don't think I need a u-haul trailer, mind you, but something to catch overflow WILL be needed. We usually pack the car to the brim every christmas, without a baby, and with the seats folded.
definitely too much sh*t

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
He can't be as bad as Bizutch. It's just not possible.

Ah, the over packer. Then you'll need this:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Uhual, and curt, and hidden hitch, all cost about $150. There's a step that requires you to use fishing line in order to line up a nut with a bolt which is inside the frame, as you reach up from underneath. I've spent enough time dicking around with audis that crinkling up my hand into contortionist like positions is now something I consider beneath me.
40 minutes for a professional, maybe 80 for home user. It comes with wires to fish the bolts, that's easy.

Installation video of a curt here:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Infiniti/FX35/2009/13554.html?vehicleid=2009301188

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Okay, so let's move past the "Why don't you want to lie in the dirt for the better part of the afternoon, drilling holes in your car and trying to jam your hands into tiny places where a man's hands just weren't meant to go" and focus on the

Hitch

or

roof

and if hitch, how do I store **** that won't suck?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Most hitches are purely bolt-on (no-drilling) these days from the major brands but yeah you could pay someone $50 to do it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
40 minutes for a professional, maybe 80 for home user. It comes with wires to fish the bolts, that's easy.

Installation video of a curt here:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Infiniti/FX35/2009/13554.html?vehicleid=2009301188
Also, I need a different model year. It's $185. Remove the rock guards, lower the exhaust, clean up the mounting bolts, mount the first set, drill the holes, fish the bolts, tighten it, reinstall everything else. I could probably use a local shop to do it for an hour worth of labor, or I can just pay uhaul to do it for about the same cost.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
No, no, no..C'mon, you've been on here long enough to know that is not how RM works. You ask a question about a couple specific things and then the RM community offers ideas and input on what they believe you need information about.

Now, lets get back to your original inquiry about trailers. I believe Airstream to be the most fuel efficient model to pull behind your (extremely needed) Cummings diesel pick up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Okay, so let's move past the "Why don't you want to lie in the dirt for the better part of the afternoon, drilling holes in your car and trying to jam your hands into tiny places where a man's hands just weren't meant to go" and focus on the

Hitch

or

roof

and if hitch, how do I store **** that won't suck?
Dodge Sprinter. but get the mercedes emblem for it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No, no, no..C'mon, you've been on here long enough to know that is not how RM works. You ask a question about a couple specific things and then the RM community offers ideas and input on what they believe you need information about.
how many woks does he need to transport?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Hitch mount. I would be willing to be you will be under 200 at your local u-haul place. Then you have infinite options from there. I have even seen Thule Transporter "like" boxes with a ghetto bike rack installed on top of that. Just be sure not to exceed the total tongue capacity.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Now, lets get back to your original inquiry about trailers. I believe Airstream to be the most fuel efficient model to pull behind your (extremely needed) Cummings diesel pick up.
yeah but what year dodge do i need to buy to replace the car that I already have, and why is it the subaru outback?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Hitch mount, but I hate roof racks. So far, the wife and I can fit everything we need in her CT200h, so even a small SUV shouldn't be a problem..

I put a small hitch on her car the first week we had it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The key to traveling light with babies is to not pack **** you can easily purchase at your destination. Why haul a Costco pack of diapers and wipes when you can buy them later.

Pack a folding stroller, throw a diaper or two in your pocket and change the **** pump on the Starbucks creamer bar using the napkins. Buy your coffee elsewhere.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Figure you'll be using the bike rack a lot more than the cargo carrier? If so, get a hitch rack for your bikes, and with the money you save on gas, get a cargo carrier for the roof for the occasional trip where you really need it.

And hey if things are really that tight money-wise and your rails can handle a decent load, you can probably get away with a ghetto cargo carrier. Waterproof duffle bag or two and some toe straps?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
And hey if things are really that tight money-wise and your rails can handle a decent load, you can probably get away with a ghetto cargo carrier. Waterproof duffle bag or two and some toe straps?
Clark Griswald: [talking about Aunt Edna] She can't weigh more than 100 pounds.
Ellen Griswald: Oh, no. You can't just put her on the roof.
Audrey Griswald: Yes, he can!
Clark Griswald: You want me to strap her to the hood? She'll be fine. It's not as if it's going to rain or something....